GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I have installed an Add-On brand isolator harness on my '02 GL1800.

My trailer has integrated stop/turn with 4 wire flat plug.

I have learned through the purchase of 2 standard 5 to 4 converters and research on this board that not all converters will work, or they must be installed before the isolator harness.

I prefer not to have to re-wire the trailer to add separate turn signals.

Is there an off-the-shelf converter, installed between the isolatorand the trailer, that will work to accomplish the 5 wire (bike side) to 4 wire (trailer side) conversion with all lights functioning properly?

Thanks,

Jeff:confused:

·
Registered
609 Posts
5 to 4

There have been several posts on this....the most replies were for an adapter from U haul........I tried the one (twice) from NAPA and had no luck, I went with the extra lights.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The converters didn't work for me either. I added lights to the trailer and it actually looked better and was more lit up for safety.

Here's a pic of the lights on my trailer I built.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
i GOT MY STUFF FROM LEWIS AT E/C AND IT WORKED GREAT.......

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did the Add-on, and used their plug and play 5 pin wiring Harness, then ran down to U-Haul bought the 4-5 converter. Easy enough to splice in. Works fine. You just end up with a lot of extra wire length between the two. Just wrap up all the extra and zip tie it nice and tight.

I pull a homebuilt Northern Tool trailer.

Ok guys,

I have installed an Add-On brand isolator harness on my '02 GL1800.

My trailer has integrated stop/turn with 4 wire flat plug.

I have learned through the purchase of 2 standard 5 to 4 converters and research on this board that not all converters will work, or they must be installed before the isolator harness.

I prefer not to have to re-wire the trailer to add separate turn signals.

Is there an off-the-shelf converter, installed between the isolatorand the trailer, that will work to accomplish the 5 wire (bike side) to 4 wire (trailer side) conversion with all lights functioning properly?

Thanks,

Jeff:confused:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wired my 1100 Shadow up using the Hoppy converter and it worked great... A month ago I wired my GW Trike up using the Hoppy converter and it works great with minimum effort. I think I used the Hoppy 46255 on both bikes.

I didn't want to add lights to my trailer either. For $30.00 you can't beat the Hoppy in my opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
After trying 2 E/C converters (neither worked), I added the 5th wire to the trailer and am just as happy having it that way.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
OK gang,
To those of you who say the converters didn't work, what exactly do you mean by "didn't work"? Is it the fact that when you tested the lights when the units were installed the turn signals on the trailer didn't work but the ones on the bike did? I'm in the process of restoring a little trailer and have put new L.E.D. lights on it all the way around. The STOP/TURN/TAIL were $45.00 ea. Nice units. I have two converters at my disposal. One's used but I'm informed it works fine and is off of some vehicle. The other is brand new and also off of a vehicle. That is to say, they're not built for motorcycles. Although converting a 5 wire system to a 4 wire system can be the job of any converter, vehicle or motorcycle I would think. Just thinking out loud.
Scott

·
Registered
145 Posts
I, too, am very interested in this thread. Last year I wired up the bike to accept an Aluma, but a change in circumstances prevented the purchase. Now I plan on getting a Piggybacker this spring, so will need to convert to a flat 4-wire system. I've seen the KuryAkyn system on their site, and am wondering whether or not anyone has used this particular set-up? Why oh why can't there just be a standard set-up?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
OK gang,
To those of you who say the converters didn't work, what exactly do you mean by "didn't work"? Is it the fact that when you tested the lights when the units were installed the turn signals on the trailer didn't work but the ones on the bike did? I'm in the process of restoring a little trailer and have put new L.E.D. lights on it all the way around. The STOP/TURN/TAIL were $45.00 ea. Nice units. I have two converters at my disposal. One's used but I'm informed it works fine and is off of some vehicle. The other is brand new and also off of a vehicle. That is to say, they're not built for motorcycles. Although converting a 5 wire system to a 4 wire system can be the job of any converter, vehicle or motorcycle I would think. Just thinking out loud.
Scott

I tend to think that the ones that tried to get them to work weren't interested in following the directions :shock: The absolute key is the put the To Battery lead; To the cotton pickin battery :!: , Not to a hot switched wire. I have been using them ( the cheep ones from Hoppy ) for several years with out any problems.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just wired my 07 using the E/C sub harness and trailer isolation package and Hoppy 5 to 4 wire converter. The E/C is plug and play. Has a fuse and both the + and - wire (that is attached at the battery for power) for double protection. Takes about 45 minutes to install. Would not recommend splicing into the wings wiring harness.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank You to all who replied.

A huge thanks to all who replied.

Instead of going with a powered converter, I opted to separate the brake lights and turn signals on the trailer. I already had extra LEDs, so I added a 5th wire and put a 5 wire connector on the isolator according to the color code instructions that were supplied.

Works well and actually added visibility to the trailer.:thumbup:

Thanks again,

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts