GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rivco 5 wire isolator and 5 wire plug. What I want to do, if possible is keep the 5 wire plug and convert my HF tag-along to a 5 wire plug. What do I need to do to accomplish this. I am going to replace the cheap lights on the tag-along already so can I buy replacement lights that have 2 bulbs in each light instead of a single bulb per light like I have now. I know this sounds crazy but I don't want to change my 5 wire plug to 4 because my buddy has a 5 wire plug and he will use the trailer periodically

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Rivco 5 wire isolator and 5 wire plug. What I want to do, if possible is keep the 5 wire plug and convert my HF tag-along to a 5 wire plug. What do I need to do to accomplish this. I am going to replace the cheap lights on the tag-along already so can I buy replacement lights that have 2 bulbs in each light instead of a single bulb per light like I have now. I know this sounds crazy but I don't want to change my 5 wire plug to 4 because my buddy has a 5 wire plug and he will use the trailer periodically
Try "5 wire trailer wiring kit" in google. Lots of info came up for me.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Good Plan I wish I would have done this from the get go and am planing too this winter. Go Hog Wild with a full LED set up and a programable brake bar strobe five wire all the way!

Get to clicking on all the traditional trailer sites and visit CustomLED and countless others that you can find out there in small shop land.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Section 168

I've racked my puny brain and looked at countless websites but I still don't know what lights I need to wire it up so I can use a 5 wire set up. Give me some suggestions. I know I will need a seperate brake light and seperate left and right turn signal lights. Can I use one light to function as a turn signal and a running light? If I could then I would use an LED strip for Brake light.

·
Banned
939 Posts
That you can with run and turn and brake too if you want run function there too.

Some of these new led boards can do it all turn brake run and programmed brake strobe to your desires.

When you go five wire a whole new world opens up.

Just look at the back of your Wing.

I am sure you could order up an entire five wire trailer kit with the lights and wire and then just add a funkadelic brake bar from customled or what not

Loud pipes don't save lives funky brake lights do from getting run over by cellphones that drive cages with human passengers.

·
Banned
939 Posts
this should help

this should help better than me blabering on.. with some of my more "inventive" ideas.

·
Banned
939 Posts
And just for the Record….

I just got past the no fear with electronics myself. How bad could it get right?!

Anyway, trial and error just add more beer. Thus far about 3 in 10 of my more “inventive” ideas with electrons has not gone well at all, and have been “inventively” wrong….…but I love learning the hard way, it devolves into fun madness and devolpes my lacking patience factor.

I hope the video below helps.

I say more is better and the strobe deal is cool…hey saftey first too...how cool is that?

My latest research project is how the heck they program multi function LED Boards…This video does not really go there…

But it is a good just do it start….

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You can also go to your local U-haul store. They have a connector that has both the 5 wire and 4 wire plug on it for the vehicle side. I wired it to my bike and everything worked fine.

·
Banned
939 Posts
The LIGHTS

As per what lights you will need to buy you can go however you want.

Here is how I am going redo mine this winter:

I am going to have four LED ovals (that have three inputs and have nodes designed to take both running and the brake or turn function and ground) in addition I am going to have a LED strobe brake bar.

Running lights, will be and two LED Flag Poles that stick up about 3 feet and 4 or 6 regular running lights along each side the side of the trailer, fenders, and tongue and a license plate light.

The turn and brake LED ovals have different nodes in them so you can use running lights on them as well as turn and or brake but you can not make the turn ovals be a brake oval and vice versa at the same time.

The LED ovals have three “plug inns” ground, (turn or brake not both in the same one), and running light nodes.

You pick one oval for the brake function and one for the turn function and wire up the running lights to both the brake and turn ovals plus your license plate light and all of your other running lights.

The brake wire also goes to the to strobe break bar and that you can program to flash how you want via some electron circut board fun magic.

The regular just running lights only have two plug ins running hot and ground.

Connect the dots and run your five wires and done deal.

Anyway here is a diagram hope you can see it.

Work Happened got distracted but here is some visual for you, as my verbage is usually too long winded.

Attachments

·
Banned
939 Posts
Or you can always just brew up one of these fine units adaptors leave it all as is and just let your buddy use the adapter too...or if he has a five wire trailer he plugs straight in as long as you got the pins on the connection wired the same way.…(the pig tassels on mine were for future programming of the strobe brake bar…not even sure if it would have worked)

But that is no fun, go with the five wire all LED trailer light system. I should have done this from the start!

But just to mess with you here as my first inventive idea should not have gone this way of adapter from 5 bike to 4 trailer which will be gong away this winter.

And just think I am going to drink some scotch this winter and figure out how to make a real full function Ipod interface if it means wiring in a whole new screen for text and some outlandish controls that even a preschool kid would be proud of.

I need my FRANK ZAPPA when I need my Frank Zappa!

I am thinking my chance of success is less than 1% but what can go wrong right?! with a little "inventive" Zen... :thumbup::eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ran into the same problem with the HF trailer that I built so I went down to my local auto supply store and bought two more tail lights. I mounted them just inboard of the OEM lights and wired them for the brake lights leaving the outside ones as the turn signal / tail light combo.

Problem solved, works great for me.

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts