GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From past experience in aviation I believe that oil reports give you a great picture of whats happening inside your engine and allows you to make some informed decisions on how to care for it in the future. Just for background I have an 06 GoldWing with over 95,000 miles on it. I live in year round in Michigan and ride all year as long as the roads are clear. I know that the salt they put on the roads is bad for both cars & bikes but I just can't not ride for 3-4 months each year. Below are 50,000 miles of oil reports. I have used everything from the high & mighty Amsoil :lol: to everyday Dino oil. The oil has always been either 10W-40 or for the Mobil 1 15W-50. The thing that I noticed most from these reports is that ALL the oils viscosity break down with use. Keep in mind that you need to use the "Values Should Be" for the oil being sampled and you will see that the high & mighty Mobil 1 (report #1) and the Valvoline M/C (report #2)that I am currently using are both are less that what they should be. I have tried the synthetic oils for extended oil change intervals don't believe that it is beneficial. I think that it is best to use whatever flavor oil you like just change it & the filter often.
Ken

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
These charts make interesting reading Cakeman.
Do you do the same with the final drive oils?

·
Banned
939 Posts
Thanks for shareing these results.

Do you run Honda filters?

Have you ever cut different filters and had the lab run numbers on them and the job they are doing?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JakeC
No I did not do the oil reports when I ran the Amsoil. I got swept up in the Amsoil hype when I first got the bike and bought a case of the stuff. I was not impressed and was happy when I used the last jug.

Kiwi
No I do not sample the final drive oil. I do change it often and I have a spare final drive from a trike take-off :lol:.

Section168
I ran the OEM filters at first but now I use either the Mobil M-108 or the WalMart ST6607 filters. I have in the past cut the filters open and looked for any shiny pieces but there was never any to amount to anything even when the transmission was acting up.

Ken

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
interesting reading,

I take it you did not use Mobil 1 m/c oil.....
do you plan to? just wonder if it may produce slightly different results....

·
Banned
939 Posts
Section 168
Have you ever cut different filters and had the lab run numbers on them and the job they are doing?

the link below did show pic's, now just wording (on my puter) where a person cut a filter
http://users.zoominternet.net/~capronem/Inside the ST7317.htm
I did on my FLSTC as some tecs I respect were telling me break in oil change at 500 miles not 1K as per manual.

I went overboard and changed filter at 500 and 1K cut the filter (hacker style in my vice) put on the gloves and got out all the bits with WD40 sprayed onto some coffee filters I cut up and taped together let um sit in alcohol to clean it all up and checked it out for curiosity. I am no scientist.

Few thumb nails at 500 1/4 thumbnail at 1k.

I did not on my Wing as I was on the road for its break in first oil change. In hind sight I should have kept the filter. Anyway I changed in Fargo then in AK and change between 3 and 3.5 K.

I think the numbers never lie and this post is spot on.

It would be interesting to see some filter science as well, but is probably splicing hairs after the break in and regular changes.

But it would be cool to know just how much work the filter is doing and if brand has much if any difference as no doubt the all get the job done.

S

·
0 Posts
An old bean counter saying

Liars number and numbers lie

Oil treads, the thousand year lie lives on.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've begun an in depth study of the evaporation rate of sweat on my seat after long rides in the heat. I found a lab in Texas that analyses this important factor and can give me several important breakdowns from salinity to actual MEQ (Moisture Evaporation Quotient). I will share my results once they are in since knowing this kind of information in the most minute of detail will no doubt keep many of us riding without the concern we have today about inadequate or even premature ACME (as_ crack moisture evaporation).

Honestly. Pour the dang oil in the hole, change it once in a while and ride. "my background in aviation"...was it studying the micro-crystalline structure of the toilet seats? RIDE...RIDE!!!!!!! Life is too short for this nonsense. JMHO, no offense to those of you who think evaluating used motor oil is either sport or important.

Back to your previously scheduled broadcast....

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
JakeC
No I did not do the oil reports when I ran the Amsoil. I got swept up in the Amsoil hype when I first got the bike and bought a case of the stuff. I was not impressed and was happy when I used the last jug.

Kiwi
No I do not sample the final drive oil. I do change it often and I have a spare final drive from a trike take-off :lol:.

Section168
I ran the OEM filters at first but now I use either the Mobil M-108 or the WalMart ST6607 filters. I have in the past cut the filters open and looked for any shiny pieces but there was never any to amount to anything even when the transmission was acting up.

Ken
Why didn't you "like" the Amsoil?

S

·
0 Posts
I've begun an in depth study of the evaporation rate of sweat on my seat after long rides in the heat. I found a lab in Texas that analyses this important factor and can give me several important breakdowns from salinity to actual MEQ (Moisture Evaporation Quotient). I will share my results once they are in since knowing this kind of information in the most minute of detail will no doubt keep many of us riding without the concern we have today about inadequate or even premature ACME (as_ crack moisture evaporation).

Honestly. Pour the dang oil in the hole, change it once in a while and ride. "my background in aviation"...was it studying the micro-crystalline structure of the toilet seats? RIDE...RIDE!!!!!!! Life is too short for this nonsense. JMHO, no offense to those of you who think evaluating used motor oil is either sport or important.

Back to your previously scheduled broadcast....
My faith in this board and the relative intelligence of the common sense mechanically enabled minority is gradually being restored due to postings such as this.
The unheard unnoticed voice of reason, well done :bow:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Potassium, that stuff is dangerous . That is in my oil??

What the hell is Barium, never heard of it. But I think it will blow up. :lol:

I just like slick oil. Any ole kind that is slick. :lol:

·
Registered
931 Posts
No doubt some oils are "better" than others, at least in certain respects. But unless someone is maybe regularly racing their Wing -- that is, always running the engine to its limits, seems your summary line is right on -- use the oil that makes you feel good and change it/filter per Honda's recommendations.

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Potassium, that stuff is dangerous . That is in my oil??

What the hell is Barium, never heard of it. But I think it will blow up. :lol:

I just like slick oil. Any ole kind that is slick. :lol:
Barium is a radioactive material the govenment requires in all "oil" so LEO's can pick you up better with their radar:eek:4:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Barium is a radioactive material the govenment requires in all "oil" so LEO's can pick you up better with their radar:eek:4:
Yea you have to watch those guys, they are kinda sneaky sometimes. :lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts