GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what happened to the other BBQ thread someone started earlier. His map links didn't work. I left to make a map that works and when I came back, the whole thread was gone. Anyway here is the Google map I made showing the 50 Best BBQ Joints in Texas (According to Texas Monthly Magazine - 2013) Some of my favorite places didn't make the list in 2013 but did in other years.

http://goo.gl/maps/cnogj

·
Registered
46 Posts
How I wished we had choices like that in Fla. We got some, but nothing like TX for BBQ.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cork Screw is one of the best on this list. Arrive early before they run out!!!
If you have never eaten at Franklin BBQ in Austin, you may have to revise your statement. ;) They always have a line out the door anytime they are open. Yes, it's THAT good! Franklin BBQ has held the number one spot in the Texas Monthly Magazine top 50 for several years running and Bon Appetite calls it "the best in America".

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Wife and I were in Tyler on Saturday and, because of this list, we ate ribs at Stanley's. Expensive, but large portions and oh, so good.

I feel a road trip to Henderson coming up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wife and I were in Tyler on Saturday and, because of this list, we ate ribs at Stanley's. Expensive, but large portions and oh, so good.

I feel a road trip to Henderson coming up soon.

Glad someone put the list to use! :thumbup:

If you get down to Central Texas in that Houston, San Antonio, Taylor triangle, that's what I call the BBQ Belt. Fantastic BBQ and much more reasonable prices.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Randy's in New Boston is very good! Not listed.........

·
Administrator
3,577 Posts
The list is incomplete and inaccurate, My backyard is not listed. Rick Straub, the HondaHawk, rode over 1000 miles to come to my RTE in March just to get some BBQ brisket and pulled pork.:joke:

I told Rick that I would be using his SS1000 for nefarious purposes and to blow my own horn.

Seriously, some of the small roadside BBQ stands put out brisket, pulled pork, and ribs that rival the big name, big money joints. However, the best links I've ever eaten were at the City Market in Luling. It's worth the ride. Lockhart, Luling, Llano, Taylor, and general surrounding area is Ground Zero for Texas BBQ.

Glen

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hardins BBQ and Circle M BBQ both here in Eastland rate among some of the best I have eaten. Both better than Coppers in Llano!!!!!

Glockjock should be in there too!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The list is incomplete and inaccurate, My backyard is not listed. Rick Straub, the HondaHawk, rode over 1000 miles to come to my RTE in March just to get some BBQ brisket and pulled pork.:joke:
The problem, Glen, is that you don't charge enough for your Q. It gives the writers of such reviews the impression that you have cheap food. You also serve exclusive groups of people by invitation only. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
BBQ in Texas

Might try Laird's BBQ in Llano, very good, Red River in League City, good ribs and brisket. Blue Moon on OSR west of Normangee is worth the ride.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't remember the name of the place in Llano now, but it was just up the road from Cooper's. It was the WORST bbq I ever ate!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ellis County BBQ in Midlothian is a great place also. Have ate there in several occasions great BBQ ribs fall off the bone. Just let me know if anyone wants to meet there someday.

marine 1976

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Love good Q; don't exactly agree with the "list".
Example, was at Coopers in Llano about 3 weeks back, look at the rib below, no smoke ring and was not fall off the bone tender either.
It was a saturday and the place was crowded, we were with other folks or we would have not been there, much better to be had.

Just Sayin

coopers rib.jpg

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Love good Q; don't exactly agree with the "list".
Example, was at Coopers in Llano about 3 weeks back, look at the rib below, no smoke ring and was not fall off the bone tender either.
It was a saturday and the place was crowded, we were with other folks or we would have not been there, much better to be had.

Just Sayin
While most of us enjoy fall-off-the-bone tenderness, and most restaurants overcook them that way for its customers, competition BBQ judges look for more firmness in a rib. Experts say that when you bite into a rib, only the piece you bit into should come away, leaving the rest of the meat on the bone. You should be able to see your teeth marks in the meat left behind. However, the smoke ring, as you point out, is a very desirable trait.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
While most of us enjoy fall-off-the-bone tenderness, and most restaurants overcook them that way for its customers, competition BBQ judges look for more firmness in a rib. Experts say that when you bite into a rib, only the piece you bit into should come away, leaving the rest of the meat on the bone. You should be able to see your teeth marks in the meat left behind. However, the smoke ring, as you point out, is a very desirable trait.
:agree: 100% correct!! If the meat is falling off the bone, the ribs are overcooked. The amount of smoke is important. Too little or too much smoke makes for less than desirable Q.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I popped this into a GPX format file and fixed the way point symbols. For those using Garmin's, you can add this to your POI list. It is actually a text file since GPX files do not seem to be allowed. You should be able to import it to your Garmin or use with the POI Loader.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I popped this into a GPX format file and fixed the way point symbols. For those using Garmin's, you can add this to your POI list. It is actually a text file since GPX files do not seem to be allowed. You should be able to import it to your Garmin or use with the POI Loader.
How come you didn't put them all on there from the previous posts? Will you keep it updated as new places are added?

Sure would be fun to keep this thread going and start reviewing these places as members visit them. I could see making a BBQ Grand Tour out of this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts