GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took vacation this week and weather warmed up and was sunny for a few days. I`m likin` the tire alot. It`s like a new scooter. Rides smoother (takes r/r tracks on like butter), handling is excellent, slow maneuvers better,:eek: and for some reason the radio reception has improved:bow: I am grateful for the recomendations and happy with the outcome. Made my week even more fun.:thumbup: The odometer is agreeing pretty much with the mile markers and I now can figure 70mph means what it reads.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Took vacation this week and weather warmed up and was sunny for a few days. I`m likin` the tire alot. It`s like a new scooter. Rides smoother (takes r/r tracks on like butter), handling is excellent, slow maneuvers better,:eek: and for some reason the radio reception has improved:bow: I am grateful for the recomendations and happy with the outcome. Made my week even more fun.:thumbup: The odometer is agreeing pretty much with the mile markers and I now can figure 70mph means what it reads.
:congrats: - on both liking the tire and finding one in the first place.

I ordered one a couple of weeks ago, but they eventually canceled the order because they didn't have any like they thought.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What front tire are you running? I was seriously considering pulling my Vanco off because the bike was wagging like a snake going down the road, but with a Sport Demon on the front it handles much better, very stable. For some reason my bike didn't like the worn E3 on the front.
I have about 1800 on it and it rubs very little now, but I did :eek:4:grind a little off the swing arm. I know, I'll probably die in a fiery crash now because of it.
I too like the way the Vanco rides and my MP3 player is much clearer now;)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I am having radio problems. Where do you get your Vanco tires?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my tire from Big Bear Tire in Oconomowoc,Wi. He got it from somewhwere in Michigan and said there is one more there.
www.bigbeartire.com Don`t understand why the radio is working better but I`m enjoying it while it lasts.
forgot to mention front tire is an E3

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to grind some material off the swing arm when the weather gets warm again. Don`t see any harm in it as sturdy as the unit is designed. Remember the old VW`s had the front spindle drilled out for the speedo cable? That would appear more prone to failure than grinding on the swing arm.

R

·
0 Posts
I am going to grind some material off the swing arm when the weather gets warm again. Don`t see any harm in it as sturdy as the unit is designed. Remember the old VW`s had the front spindle drilled out for the speedo cable? That would appear more prone to failure than grinding on the swing arm.
Very, very bad idea. :eek:4:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:shrug:

Your opinion reads very,very much like that of the people condemning the car tires. They don`t know why, just think it`s bad. Grinding off and polishing the raised area where the tire is rubbing is not going to induce any stress risers.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

If I May..

The guys who run this size/brand of tire say that the tire will only rub for so many miles,and may touch at triple digits at times?..

So-That says that not very much material would need to be sanded off to allow the tire to not touch the swing arm at all.

If one could see how thick the 1800 swing arm is when cast,then they'd see that what little material others are seeking to remove is irrelevant to the structural integrity of the swing arm itself..

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
your gonna die in a fiery crash !! That is a motorcycle fella, You need motorcycle tires on it !! It ain't no four wheeler, they use car tires.

Get smart son !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Because I don't mess with perfection.
As great as the 1800 is, it can always be improved upon (like anything made by us mere mortals). Some are satisfied with the status quo, some are afraid of change, but others like myself are always looking at ways to improve their ride.
Sometimes we go backwards, but ultimately we end up going forward, constantly improving on what seemed like the epitome of design and replacing yesterday's perfection with todays higher expectations.
I guess that's what brought me to the darkside to begin with. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your gonna die in a fiery crash !! That is a motorcycle fella, You need motorcycle tires on it !! It ain't no four wheeler, they use car tires.

Get smart son !!

I put motorcycle tires on my car. Now I have to lean into turns.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I ordered 2 Conti Vanco II's on 4/20/09 and they arrived at 4:45PM today 4/23/09. I can't believe the service! I ordered 2 because everyone said they were hard to get, hope I like 'em. I've got an appointment to mount one on my spare wheel tomorrow.

I mounted my first C/T last month and really love it (Pirelli Eufore RF) but I am concerned it won't get me through the next 2 months AND to the Smokey Mountain Ride In and back (a one month ride of maybe 8000-10000 miles). I have 3800 miles on it now. I'm running 32 LBS in the Eufori, what are you Vanco guys running?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

I am running 35 psi in my Vanco ... Where did you get yours, I would order another in case I live long enough to wear this one out.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Thanks for the tire supplier.

The tire starts off with 10/32 tread depth.. I am right about 15,000 miles now and have used 1.5/32 tread, looks like about a 32nd inch per 10,000 miles, Should get a 100k miles at that rate LOL .. So far so good, it is a little harder than the Winter Sport tires. But the tire so far has not slipped on me in curves and some times I go in pretty hard.. If it is going to drag of the swing arm, Put in 50 or 60 lbs of air and ride it slowly for a while, it will rub off a lot of rubber, then when you ready for real riding, drop the pressure to 35 psi and have fun !!

I have slid the tire in gravel, but not on pavement, also going about 40 mph and dropping to 2nd gear and dumping the clutch, it will chirp pretty good.. And on smooth concrete, like gas station aprons, it will really howl loud if you rev it up and dump the clutch.. It will turn heads LOL

On uneven roads it will want to track the low spots a bit, but you get used to that pretty quick... Tracks very well in high speed curves, like your on rails, requires a very light touch to hold it where you want it.

Hope you well with yours and feel free to ask anything you like that I may be able to answer.

Tom

JMHO :rolleyes:

·
Registered
909 Posts
KA7W, I just measured my Vanco and it has 13/32 across all 3 grooves. I put a Pirelli Eufori RF on March 19th and it did measure 10/32nds new and now shows 8/32nds center and 7-7 1/2 on outer grooves with 3800 miles. Since I needed a tire on my spare wheel anyway I decided to try the Vanco. This will be a good check. I think I ride fairly hard and I get about 19000-19500 out of a set of E3's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts