GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the BigBike (Show Chrome) spot/driving lights that go just under the headlight. http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/Navision/52-757?catalogNo=

A bulb went out and I thought I'd go to the local hardware store to get replacements. What I got was the same 50W/12V but I'm not sure if they are the same because the refractor is different.

What's in the new bulb package in the picture below is the bad original bulb and the second picture shows the right as new bulb (Feit) and left as original (Osram). The new bulb has a glass front. They both fit and so far they look the same. I don't need them to light up the road but to catch the attention of other drivers, which they do really well.

Anyone know much about these halogen bulbs and how they work? Also I know you shouldn't touch the bulb but does that mean the tiny bulb part or the whole glass refractor?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You are not to touch the bulb itself with your bare skin. What happens is these bulbs burn so hot that even the most miniscule amount of skin oil that would be left on the bulb if you touched it will actually boil and cause the bulb to explode when it turns on. I used to work in the graphic/photo image field and I know how they look, sound and smell when they go boom. I am not familar with this sort of refractor but it's best to wear little white cloth gloves when handling the bulbs for sure.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
I have never seen a car accessory supplier use that type of bulb. Those were not even made for the automotive industry. They are flood lamps which were designed for things like overhead projectors and film projectors. And over the years they have been used in some office and home lighting products.

Since they aren't focal type bulbs, there isn't any standard for the type of filament or reflector. There are probably many different types of flood patterns on the market for those bulbs.

Obviously BBP wasn't too concerned about controlling the cutoff on those lights when they sourced them. At this point, I would say give them a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Those are MR-16 size lamps.

You can get them in several watt ages and be careful several voltages.....

They come with or without a front glass.

They also can be purchased in different beam patterns from a narrow spot to a flood beam pattern................

I have seen them with two different bases, pins like in your photo and fat pins....

They also can be purchased with a colored glass,

Due to the many varriations you must be careful with your purchases......

For LOTS of choices download GE and Sylvania lamp catalogs, or go to a lighting supply house for more choices than you ever dreamed of....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts