GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are considering a 5th wheel, however, she does not like the wasted space in a Toy Hauler and would like the added ammenities in a fully configured 5th wheel trailer.

I want to take our bike on our travels and therefore the problem? My question is, have any of you folks seen or heard of someone with a small trailer behind the 5th wheel towing a motorcycle? I heard one RV salesman saying he has seen it done but not very often.

Does this make sense or am I just dreaming of hauling my wing?

Thanks for comments

·
Registered
522 Posts
See 5th wheel trailers all the time with boats on trailers behind them. Don't see why a person couldn't tow a bike on a trailer.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Toy Haulers

GregP.,
a couple of options you may be interested in.
www.lancecampers.com. I had one of these from '98-'04. I had a 1030 model. Had a 3 burner stove, propane furnace,shower.toilet,queen bed over the cab,tv,even had a kitchen sink. Very well made unit.
The camper was mounted on a Ford F-350 dually & we towed a 12' enclosed Haulmark trailer for the Wing.
Lance makes several sizes of truck campers, but i'd hesitate to put one on a truck less than a 250.
This served us well & we really enjoyed the vesatility of the truck camper, but in '04 we moved up to a 26' motorhome, still pulling our trailer & Wing.
Truck camprs are O.K. for a week or a weekend, but for a month or more,motorhomes are the way to go,IMO..
I wouldn't want to try to back a trailer attached to a 5th wheel, but i have seen people TOWING boats etc attached to them. Have NEVER seen anyone back a rig like this. FUEL stops would also present other problems.
Even in todays economy, LANCE seems to be holding up well, & deals can be had both new & especially used.
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank-you for your responses fella's:

Hobo - a truck Camper would not cut-it for the wife because we are considering using the 5th wheel as our home in florida or wherever we move around to. It has to look and feel like a home, ie. couches, chairs, Tv's, fireplace, etc. The ones we are looking at are between 36' and 40' - 4 slideouts'. A bus wouldn't do because we like the idea of having a truck for transportation along with the motorcycle, depending on weather.

Rider Steve - The cruiserlift will not work with a 5th wheel because you are taking too much tounge weight off the hitch.

I guess there may have to be some concessions when we finally decide on what type travelling we want to do! :shrug:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Gregp, I've been pulling a inclose behind a 5th wheel for 11 years. And realy like it. Washington and Orgon are no no's.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Years ago I knew an old man who used to trail ride, he had a team of mules and a wagon. His stock trailer was a fifth wheel with living quarters and a 3 horse slanted stall. Behind the fifth wheel he had a 16' low that he carried his wagon on. He said he never had any problems with the exception of finding parking so that he wouldn't have to back up. He traveled all over the southeast with this rig.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just remember that some states like Washington prohibit you from towing both a fifth wheel AND another trailer. They allow only your truck towing a single 5th wheel.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It is allowed in Michigan but a Michgan resident must have an additional endorsment on their drivers license ( recreational double ? ).
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
746 Posts
Greg I have had the same dilemma.
My wife and I decided to get a class A motorcoach with 1 slideout and tow a small custom motorcycle trailer. The trailer is light and kinda egg shaped and does not pull your fuel mileage way down.
You would have the Gold Wing for transportation, and if need be you can use a rental car if needed occasionally.

Just an alternative to consider

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
one "argument" to use on the wife ...
The Toyhauler is GREAT for easily storing things once you get set up in a park.
I went with a 40ft 5th wheel toyhauler with 3 slides
... it will hold two wings in the back.
When the bikes are not in there it's great to throw extra chairs, bicycles, cook out gear, the vacuum cleaner etc back there...
my daughter came and visited with me for awhile and all her luggage was stowed in the back too ..
... keeps the "living area" nice and uncluttered.

I don't think it's wasted space at all
... it's like something between a small garage and a porch.

:)

Dennis

·
Registered
113 Posts
Towing doubles: New England is out. In the Southwest, and midwest, doubles are fairly common. Went to an RV show recently and saw a 5th wheel Toy Hauler with a media room in half of the Garage, and a 1/2 door on the rear for the bike. Research the types out there and you will find what you need. With 4 slides you will be looking at, at the least, a medium duty truck. Been living in a Toy Hauler for the last three seasons and use our garage for storage. Also has a screen that you can pull down over the rear and you have a nice porch area for viewing. Spend most of our time riding anyway so small is not a concern. Good Luck, it's a great life.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Check This

Guy just came in with a 5th wheel toyhauler for sale:

All American Sport RV 385RTLS (Google that for floor plan) 2006 model with all options - 3 slide outs & generator + all options $30,000

The guy is in the RV park with me - I've seen it.

Plus, 05 Dodge Cummins Diesel truck included with RV for $45,000 for both. Call Marlin at 252-241-6165.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I currently tow a trailer behind my 5th wheel

I tow a 34 foot fifth wheel with a F350 Ford Diesel truck and my wing on a aluma trailer behind the fifth wheel. Would like to share some of the issues that this brings up. First, most states have a length limit that measures from the front bumper of the tow vehicle (truck) to the end of the second trailer. This limits the size of the 5th wheel you can tow. Since I had the 5th wheel prior to the wing, I had to settle for a short, open trailer for the wing as all enclosed trailers exceeded the total length allowable in several states I wanted to travel too. Second, some states, Wisconsin for example, requires a special permit, (recreational double) in order to travel to or thru their states. Third, you can't see the trailer so you need to add a camera or at least tire pressure sensors in the tires of the trailer you have the motorcycle on. Fourth, you always have to unhook the second trailer every time you want to back up. This issue occurs more than when just setting up at your camp site. Sometimes you park to go to a restaurant or other attraction on your trip and no matter how isolated you attempt to be, when you return, someone has decided to park in front of your rig. Last, very few 5th wheels have frames strong enough to attach a lift too. In addition, that much weight that far back on the 5th wheel will likely negatively affect the towing quality of that unit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 40ft 5th wheel and I haul my goldwing everywhere.

I would suggest that you look at as many floor plans as you think neccessary to find one you like. Many people who RV don't alway know what they want and don't get what is comfortable for them.

I use the tool box for storage when I am parked and as a craft room. I have lived full time inside my two trailers and have been accoustom to reducing the amount of un-neccessary stuff that I need to pack.

The biggest things that I found was closet space, cooking convienence, and just where and how comfortable it is to watch TV.

If you are concerned about space you can add on a screen porch that can add over 100 square ft of space.

A very important concern in this economy is whether the manufacturer will still be in business or not. My oldest brother just bought a beautiful 39 ft 5th wheel in October 2008 and three days later the company went bankrupt. No manufacturer warrenty. (Pardon the spelling)

Land Elephant

·
Registered
115 Posts
Toyhauler Report

We have an Excel 40' Wild Cargo toy hauler and love it. When we park for more than a couple of days, we unload the Goldwing and the garage cargo tubs, put down a carpet and pull down the garage door screen. This gives us an instant screen room where we can have bug-free meals, play cards, or just relax in our outdoor lounge chairs. We love it! Recently, we added a curtain around the hitch area of the RV with gives us an out-of-site, out-of-mind place for the cargo tubs and the bicycles. This helps keep the RV site neat and helps to deter theft. I have heard of people using the garage for a workout room, hobby room, or a separate bunk room. YMMV.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further...

Cheers

·
Registered
66 Posts
Kzindar-do you have floation tires on that wing or what?!?
And that cat looks ready for a swan supper, how often do you have to replace that screen?

Ok, couldn't resist.
I too spend most of my time living in a toy hauler. Mine is a 39' KLR. With the slideouts it does significantly increase the floorspace as compared to the bumper pull I used to have. Even with the garage portion closed off there is an amazing amount of room, and as others have already said, it does provide a nice storage area to keep the rest of the trailer a little neater.
I have also found it to be real nice to put guests out there on the bunk beds and be able to close the door for quiet if they snore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts