GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have been looking all over the net and can find outside measurements and measurements for the lights themselves, but I can't find the measurements for the hole itself. I am going to get someone to make me a light assembly for my trailer and I don't want to guess on the holes because they will either be too small and I will have to grind on them or worse yet too large. I want to use the rubber grommet mounts on 6,5 oval lights. Everyone selling lights says they fit OEM, but no one tells me what size hole is OEM. Here is a picture of a mount for one light. Can anyone point me to a drawing that includes the hole dimensions?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Order the lights, and when they come in take them to who is going to make the light bar and tell them, here they are make them fit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that already, but without a size they would be guessing too and I would have to hope their guess was right. If the lights keep falling out I am sure the builders answer will be "I didn't have measurements and I did the best I could"

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
NO NO I think you misunderstood it. When you have the lights in hand.

If you have the lights to give them, it is simple to make a template, and place them as needed. Give the person that is going to make the light bar the lights, that way they can make it to fit, and mount them in the bar.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can probably get the info you need from a truck/trailer (tractor trailer) repair business. I was seeking similar info on the round rubber mount lights. The counter person had the information at hand in a catalog. Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
StaticJolt,
Here is a picture of a mount for one light. Can anyone point me to a drawing that includes the hole dimensions?
Uh...you have a mounting bracket...? If you don't have the bracket, buy a lamp assembly with bracket...!

Obviously the mounting hole in the bracket is correct. Take the bracket to the person that is building your light bar. All they have to do is pull the dimensions right off the bracket...!

A couple of cautions
1) I assume most OEMs use a punch press for those holes. A fabricator doing a "one-off" would probably use the "drill, saw and file" method, which could end up pretty sloppy...! Whether the lamp assembly fit firmly -- or not -- would be IFFY.

2) The thickness of the material that the lights will be installed on could also affect how the gasket fits. I don't know what a "normal" thickness is for a light mount -- and your fabricator may not know either. It appears that the bracket is made from relatively thin stock.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a picture from online. Buying a $20 bracket to measure and never use somehow doesn't work for me. ... OK I am cheap what else can I say :shock:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I install the light in the rubber gasket then, I traced the back side of the rubber onto where I was planning on cutting the hole.
I used a hole saw on each end to make the curves and cut the rest out with a cut off wheel on a grinder. I did have to do a little triming to fit but that was better than the light fitting to loose.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Theres bound to be a truck stop "Truckers Store" near by. Sneak in there and make a tracing of one they have on the shelf. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts