GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed spark plugs on my '08 GW 1800. All looked good except for #6 which was carboned up and even a bit wet. See the attached photo. Not sure what to make of this or how concerned I should be. The bike runs really good so what am I looking at here?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Yesterday I changed spark plugs on my '08 GW 1800. All looked good except for #6 which was carboned up and even a bit wet. See the attached photo. Not sure what to make of this or how concerned I should be. The bike runs really good so what am I looking at here?

Maybe a plug wire.
Could be a bad plug too.
Whats the miles?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea, but how can one "look" at a wire and tell that its good.?:smile2:
You can look if there are any cracks in the insulation or carbon traces where high voltage has been arcing. Other than that i dont know. It does seem however that if a wire is bad it would cause misfires and none have been happening.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
No ... your Wing does not run well, and usually on 5th gens you cannot look at a plug wire and tell if it is good or not.

How many miles ???

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I suspect the high tension lead is loose from the plug boot. The high tension lead twists into the boot clockwise to tighten -- push in and twist firmly. They can pull loose if you use your fingers to pull the boot instead of the proper tool or plier. Assuming pre-2018 model; the coil end is similar, but since that would probably not be subject to stress, less likely to loosen. The high tension lead can be bad and often if the bike is in a dark area and ideing, an arc-spark can be seen going to bike ground at the bad spot. Each of three coil serves two cylinders, so not likely a bad coil with just one plug missing fire; but I suppose on some very rare occasion one terminal of the coil could be damaged or deftive; very unlikely.

prs

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If the plugs and wires check out I would be thinking valve adjustment/check.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The problem is that most of the failures of plug wires occur near the coil tower end of the wire, and you can't see that without pulling the tank and air box out. The wires for cylinders 2 and 5 make a 180 degree turn, and they usually fail first. You don't say how many miles are on your bike, but it is already over 10 years old, so a bad plug wire or plug wire connection would be my number one suspect. I've also seen the ends of the plug wire connector become damaged not allowing it to engage the tip of the plug properly, so that is another failure point.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I had the same problem on my 08, i just went ahead and replaced all 3 coils and wires along with new plugs, runs like a dream. Of course I rode all the way to Mountain Home to have it professionally done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem is that most of the failures of plug wires occur near the coil tower end of the wire, and you can't see that without pulling the tank and air box out. The wires for cylinders 2 and 5 make a 180 degree turn, and they usually fail first. You don't say how many miles are on your bike, but it is already over 10 years old, so a bad plug wire or plug wire connection would be my number one suspect. I've also seen the ends of the plug wire connector become damaged not allowing it to engage the tip of the plug properly, so that is another failure point.

Thanks for the pointer. I just bought this Wing. The bike has just over 19000 miles. Here's hoping it's not something expensive.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Just curious, how much did that cost you?
Fred, "the GL18 Wizzard of Mountainhome" Harmon can give you a current estimate. But check the simle stuff first, make sure the high tension lead is fully tight in the plug boot.

prs

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Jettawreck: best looking trailer ever!

Thanks, it was sort of the dealmaker when I went to look at the bike/trailer package. 2001 GL1800 (CB, CD changer) ABS model w/53k miles and the color matched Champion (Champion Sidecars and Trikes) trailer was $7k. Air ride suspension and fully finished interior with the spare tire under the floor. It seems to be a very nice trailer. I took the front cooler and bracket off. It pulls thru the air like nothing behind you, at least when empty. It came with two fitted trailer covers (one with the Champion logo) and a couple covers for the Wing along with a bunch of other accessories/parts, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
any pics of the interior?
I don't think I have taken any but I will get some this afternoon and get them for you this evening.

Edit: Have taken some interior pics and a few exteriors with the custom covers. In order not to "highjack" this thread further perhaps I should share them in a seperate thread or via PM-your choice, let me know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To put some closure to the #6 cylinder issue, after replacing all 6 plugs a 100 mile ride was done, mostly highway miles. The #6 plug was pulled immediately afterward and to my relief, it was clean just like all others were when they were pulled previously. At this point, I am considering the issue to be inconsequential. If the fouling should reoccur I will repost.

One thing I noted was the original plugs when removed were barely more than finger tight. Wonder if that could have caused some fouling? At any rate, replacement plugs were torqued to spec.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Since I can't figure out how to send pics in a PM (open to pointers from anyone) and it seems the thread has pretty much had some closure, I will just post the pics here, if it's ok.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts