GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 GL 1800 that i had converted to the Motor trike Razor kit with a 4.5 degree rake kit in the spring 2018 . last year i put on about 9000 miles and my shoulders where just getting such a hard work out that they hurt so I tried some experimenting with the air pressure in the front tire this year 42lbs . This year we went to Idaho for three weeks of riding and it was a blast 6000 miles and we are back home but my shoulders got the same pain in them as last year . I know there are a lot of curves and that is a work out all by its self . But I could feel the pressure in my arms when doing the push and pull in the corners . So now i am thinking of doing a 6 degree rake on my trike . Has anyone ever done this to there Motor trike Razor kit? I talked to a couple of installers and they all say that i dont need it because the Motor trike Razor is a shorter wheel base.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a 2007 GL 1800 that i had converted to the Motor trike Razor kit with a 4.5 degree rake kit in the spring 2018 . last year i put on about 9000 miles and my shoulders where just getting such a hard work out that they hurt so I tried some experimenting with the air pressure in the front tire this year 42lbs . This year we went to Idaho for three weeks of riding and it was a blast 6000 miles and we are back home but my shoulders got the same pain in them as last year . I know there are a lot of curves and that is a work out all by its self . But I could feel the pressure in my arms when doing the push and pull in the corners . So now i am thinking of doing a 6 degree rake on my trike . Has anyone ever done this to there Motor trike Razor kit? I talked to a couple of installers and they all say that i dont need it because the Motor trike Razor is a shorter wheel base.
A lot of Rake Smart engineers say the 6 degree rake kit is too much for the MT conversion. Just as your were told. That being said, I have heard of it being done. I personally would not do it because it will make the steering very sensitive (to the point of being twitchy).

A question for you to consider... Have you installed a handlebar riser kit? When the rake kit was installed it actually lowered the handle bar ends quite a bit. Steering the trike in that configuration adds quite a bit of effort to the task. I installed a set of MBL risers (the short ones because I am) and vastly reduced steering effort and shoulder pain!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a 2014 MotorTrike Razor that I bought new. It had a 4.5 rake. I was selling my 2005 MotorTrike and it was a 6 degree rake so had both for a while. There was quite a difference when riding one then the other. So I swapped the rake kits so that the new one had the six degree. I have had no issues with it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have heard that if you had a 4.5 and had a hard time steering. Told to go to a 5.5/6 degree. Specially for the ladies.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have heard that if you had a 4.5 and had a hard time steering. Told to go to a 5.5/6 degree. Specially for the ladies.
Hey Randy. Who at Motor Trike (OP kit) said this? Back when I had my 2006 Adventure conversion, every time I've talked with them the opposite was true. Even on their web site they still say most riders do not need any rake kit for the GL1500 or GL1800; let alone greater than the 4.5 they will sell you.

The 6 degree on my 2015 Roadsmith makes the steering so sensitive I had to snug up the steering head bearings more than usual. Went to 40 lbs of torque an things settled down to comfortable.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanks.. Guess everyone at MT is not following the company line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I prefer the 4 1/2 degree rake myself over the 6 degree. One reason is because of the longer wheelbase , the fork angle puts a lot more stress on the fork slider bearings and seals. So you can expect those to have to be rebuilt much more often than normal. If you look at the internal bearing surfaces of the Goldwing forks, you will find that there are only two points about an inch wide that bears on the forks. So the farther out those fork angles are, the more wear. I can't tell you right now how many of these I've had to rebuild but it's many. So much so, that I keep a few sets of bearings and seals in stock here.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The 6 degree rake in my opinion needs to be on the longer trikes kit like Hannigan and CSC. That being said it will also make the frt. end a lot harsher in the ride. I had a Hannigan and this is what was told to me.

sonney

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My 03 wing with a 2010 M/T had a 4.5 rake. I didn't think it steer bad. But my 2013 wing with a Roadsmith with a 5.5/6 rake, I thought steers and rides better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 6 degree rake in my opinion needs to be on the longer trikes kit like Hannigan and CSC. That being said it will also make the frt. end a lot harsher in the ride. I had a Hannigan and this is what was told to me.
sonney
My CSC has a 6* rake requiring seemingly just the right amount of turning effort without any front end harshness. I'm not sure that would hold true for the shorter wheel base of a Motor Trike?
Jim

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I have a Roadsmith model (I'm not at all sure what the difference is between yours and mine) BUT I have a 5.5 * deg rake and do not feel any hard steering, or problem...Not trying to be "smartie" here, cause I really don't know the difference between the two models of trikes ,

Ronnie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts