GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I currently have a sport touring Suzuki Hayabusa and I need something more comfortable so I’ve decided to go with a goldwing. Today I went to test ride a couple goldwings. 2019 6 speed manual touring and a 19 NON touring DCT. I do not need the touring so I really just need to know if I want the 6 speed or the DCT. The 6 speed was a demo and with 1600 miles on it. Drove really smooth I couldn’t believe it and it was very comfortable. The only issue I had when change gears and it was so uncomfortable. Can you adjust the clutch ? other than that it was perfect. The DCT only had 35 miles It wasn’t as smooth as the 6 speed and the automatic was definitely different. Maybe just needs to break in more idk. Definitely going to take some time to get used to it if I was going to get a DCT. I just want to hear your thoughts. Pros and cons of the 6 speed compare to the DCT. My main goal is to be comfortable so either one will work. 6 speed or DCT? what’s a good a price for these since 2021 are coming out soon.Here are some pictures of the 2019 non touring DCT .. thank you all for your feedback and happy holidays

·
Registered
789 Posts
People who own the 6-speed MT love it and won't switch. People who own the DCT love it and won't switch. The DCTs reputedly far outsell the MTs, but the only hard evidence anybody has is what we hear from dealerships.

Nobody can answer the question, DCT? or MT? but you.

However, if you were to buy a C7 Corvette or Mustang 5.0 GT Mustang, what would you choose, the automatic or manual? There's your answer.

Tim

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have ridden both as well. I concluded that the DCT is maybe a safer bike for touring because the need to ‘clutch‘ is taken away, allowing the operator to focus on unfamiliar routes. That being said, I am old school, in that I must ‘clutch’ or it isn’t right in my world. I do not live in a congested area of this world, and am allowed to feed the ’old schoolness’ in me. Now to hypocrite? Myself, I just purchased a used atv for logging, and wanted the snowmobile clutch type drive system with the hi/lo range instead of a manual clutch. It works smoother under load.
In the end, you will not have made a wrong choice. Just educated.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
You drove both.
Don't depend on what others think.
What do YOU think?
It's going to be your bike, not mine or anyone else's.
i have an opinion, but my wants, needs, and circumstance will never be the same as yours.
But if you want to know what it is, just look at my signature.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is just my opinion I own a DCT air bag model, & 13 F6b & a 13 Gold Wing trike I had not road either 13 in 6 months until this past Sunday, it was so uncomfortable riding the F6b I felt as if I was a hazard to my self & others after 60 mile ride it was better but not like the DCT. I think that sooner or later Honda will drop the one with the least amount of sales I love my DCT remember it is not a car but a motorcycle it will never shift like a car, and there are some people on this forum that wish they had purchased the DTC and vice versa but me I would not buy old technology, if it shifted smooth as a car it would get some of the comments the 02-17 wings got it is to much like a car and I wont to feel something when my motorcycle is working, that is why people chose other bikes because they say others have soul, I think that is why the wind protection is not as good as the old wings they wanted you to feel like you were riding a bike, it is not perfect by no means but it so close.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Think of the question in long term if you plan to keep the motorcycle for a long time. DCT has multiple sensors, safety this and that, solenoids ect. Manual transmission has a shift lever and you do the job of all those sensors, solenoids, safety this and that.
Which is more reliable over the long run?
My neighbor and I both have 1997 Ford trucks. I got manual everything, she got automatic everything. I drive trouble free for the most part. She fights the automatic features that quit working, parts hard to get/expensive even though I have a lot more miles.
As long as they offer manual there is no good reason to ever get automatic.
Of course if one has unlimited funds, enjoys a motorcycle for a couple years and gets rid of it, then the DCT may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I was a disbeliever but not anymore. If you choose the manual trans you won't be wrong - some say the best manual trans ever on any bike they have ridden. I never imagined driving a motorcycle with an automatic. I cannot imagine not having it or wishing I didn't. Love the bike and the DCT.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
The clutch with the 6-speed is not adjustable..the 6 speeds clutch takes a bit of getting used too, but after a few hundred miles you will wonder how it ever felt strange to you ...the clutch is the way it is to allow fast shifting with hardly any pull on the clutch lever..shifting is fast, smooth, and quiet...downshifting is very smooth...also the foot shifter in many cases needs to be adjusted for your boot to better get under it...my shifter was too low from the factory, but was easily adjusted to fit my boot. I love the 6-speed transmission.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the 6mt and love it! I don’t know what you mean about it. I went from an ST1300 and from the get go it was love. The slipper clutch is like a rev matcher from my Civic Type R days. Combined with the low center of gravity on the bike, the clutch makes slow speed maneuvering a breeze. You can adjust the lever, but I like it further out so I can two finger shift on the go. But you can adjust it closer to the grip. I spout the MT, but there are people equally in love with the DCT, so it’s up to you.

Reactions: Jgarcia69888

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t understand your comment about it being uncomfortable when you where changing gears on the manual transmission model. Why?

·
Registered
181 Posts
The manual is amazing. Honda nailed this transmission in my opinion. It will likely be very reliable.

Others will say that the DCT is amazing. Might work well for people who do a lot of stop and go riding..... or if you just want to try something totally different.

For me, half the fun of a motorcycle or a sports car is the manual transmission. I tried the DCT but it just didn’t “click”with me. It felt too clunky and I absolutely hated the automated downshifting.

I say, if you are still undecided after the test rides... then just get the manual. You won’t regret it, it will likely be more reliable over the long haul, and you won’t have to learn some slightly different riding techniques associated with the DCT.

Good luck with your decision. Happy Holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
To me, gear selection is an integral part of the motorcycle experience. (I also flew 300 miles to find a sports car with a manual transmission.) I tested both and the DCT was OK but on my second test ride I took it through traffic and got cutoff badly. Instinctively, I grabbed for the non-existent clutch and looked down to see what happened and barely avoided imminent collision. I am sure the two extra oil drain holes would not be a problem but I took the manual out for one last test and decided I enjoyed it. I felt more involved (much as I do with my other manual bikes and cars). The clutch is very light and adjustable to fit your hand size. Also I can never remember thinking "I wish this bike was automatic" so decided on the manual. I think if I rode in the city constantly, I may have decided on the DCT but this is an open road bike for me.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Umm... changing gears on a motorcycle is uncomfortable... well, that's a new one for me...

How can others decide what you'll like to drive??
It does also surprise me how many here will ask such a question... basically asking, "what will I like the best???"... :ROFLMAO:

Manual for me, please. I do not find using a clutch "distracting" as some imply... I can focus on the road AND shift the gears myself just fine... :cool:

1 - 20 of 270 Posts