GL1800Riders Forums banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The only Africa Twin DCT owner I know had so many problems he got rid of the Honda and went back to the Yamaha Super Tenere with that outdated manual transmission. He had numerous problems, but one day it got stuck in 3rd gear and when he shut off the engine to try and see if it would run, it would not let him run as it was stuck in 3rd. He used to get all angry like everyone does here every time I questioned the choice of the DCT being maybe not the smartest idea. Honda finally took it back on the lemon law as dealers would always tell him every problem he had was "normal". After it got stuck in 3rd and they gave up repair, he got the money back thankfully for him, and he's learned his lesson.
There's an entire thread over at ADV rider on ways to trick the DCT to shift in the case either ABS wheel speed sensor circuit doesn't register as when this happens DCT won't shift out of first gear. So think about some of these possible downfalls before buying one.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The only Africa Twin DCT owner I know had so many problems he got rid of the Honda and went back to the Yamaha Super Tenere with that outdated manual transmission. He had numerous problems, but one day it got stuck in 3rd gear and when he shut off the engine to try and see if it would run, it would not let him run as it was stuck in 3rd. He used to get all angry like everyone does here every time I questioned the choice of the DCT being maybe not the smartest idea. Honda finally took it back on the lemon law as dealers would always tell him every problem he had was "normal". After it got stuck in 3rd and they gave up repair, he got the money back thankfully for him, and he's learned his lesson.
There's an entire thread over at ADV rider on ways to trick the DCT to shift in the case either ABS wheel speed sensor circuit doesn't register as when this happens DCT won't shift out of first gear. So think about some of these possible downfalls before buying one.
The problem with the story about your friend is that there aren't many DCT owners like your friend. Oh, an owner may regret buying the DCT because they really miss a manual, nothing wrong with that, but there aren't many that have troubles with the transmission resulting in forcing Honda to take the bike back.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
For us M6 owners perhaps somebody should make a "Save the Manuals" decal for the saddlebag. My car (mustang) has this Car and Driver magnetic decal on the trunk. Also here is another style. Interested? I would want it reflective to make it a safety "feature". :)

Save-the-Manuals-logo1-440x433.jpg

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
DCT...

Riding manual transmission motorcycles for over 45 years, never thought I'd want an automatic, oh, I was soooo wrong.
The DCT is incredible and to be honest if I'd of purchased a manual 2019 I would have felt like I was missing something and not having the full experience of all the 2018+ has to offer.
Takes a bit to get used to, but then it's just a pleasure to ride.

The FWD/REV motor driven walking speeds is a huge bonus and works so very well.
Zero regrets and love it.
Oil change is over-rated and not a big deal......takes 45-min and your done, very painless.

But, it's your choice...... ;)
Does the manual have forward and reverse also.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Me and my wife are bigger so not sure if both of can be on it what's the Weight limit ?
Your owner's manual should give you the Maximum Payload or something similar. Honda manuals often have a quick reference on the last page that will list this weight allowed.

Whatever is listed it won't be enough :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buy 1 of each model, problem solved.🤤🛵🛵
Merry Christmas!(y)
I bought a used 2018 bike in August. My forth Goldwing to own. I test drove the DCT. It was cool, it was neat, but I had to go back to my standard trans. One thing I didn't like about the DCT is when you are turning too fast, on normal trans I will pull in the clutch to stop the drive, then recover, could not do that with DCT, it will down shift but drive does not stop. So after riding the DCT for several miles, I with with the standard trans. Five months later, I am still happy with my choice. To me, shifting gears is a big part of the riding experience. That is my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I bought a used 2018 bike in August. My forth Goldwing to own. I test drove the DCT. It was cool, it was neat, but I had to go back to my standard trans. One thing I didn't like about the DCT is when you are turning too fast, on normal trans I will pull in the clutch to stop the drive, then recover, could not do that with DCT, it will down shift but drive does not stop. So after riding the DCT for several miles, I with with the standard trans. Five months later, I am still happy with my choice. To me, shifting gears is a big part of the riding experience. That is my 2 cents worth.
Close the throttle - drive stops.

To each his own though......enjoy your new-to-you Goldwing.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
878 Posts
Close the throttle - drive stops.

To each his own though......enjoy your new-to-you Goldwing.
Wait - the throttle can be closed? It's not an on/off switch?

Agree with you - just roll off throttle - drive stops, and in fact compression braking starts. And it's such a well-balanced/RPM-matched system that even downshifts in the middle of an aggressive corner don't upset the suspension.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ya makes sense maybe next time i will switch to DCT

221 - 240 of 270 Posts