GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
I think Marysville exports a 6 speed Gold Wing to European countries near the Autobaun where the Wings can cruise at 170 MPH (274 KPH). The 5-speed is only good for around 135 MPH which it a little too slow the big highway over there.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
coolhand said:
I think Marysville exports a 6 speed Gold Wing to European countries near the Autobaun where the Wings can cruise at 170 MPH (274 KPH). The 5-speed is only good for around 135 MPH which it a little too slow the big highway over there.
It doesn't matter how many gears you have... horsepower is the limiter of speed. If you don't increase the HP, you can't go any faster with another gear, unless your top gear hits the rev limiter. Then a taller top gear would let you reach top speed.

C

·
0 Posts
That Uropean model comes with exactly 39 and 1/3 more horsepower. Plus it's lots taller. One of the leade engineers told me so. So there. Or here. Or over there. He told me he knows more than you.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sorry guys the Euro models have a slightly different rear lighting setup but thats the only real difference to the US models.
They still have five speed trannys, they're the same size and height etc.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I heard the eurowings have coated wheels. Any truth ot that? I could really dig some coated wheels. I hate polishing those things.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I heard that "Euro Wings" don't use crush washers. :wink:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Aren't the euro models left hand drive? :lol:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
hshattuck said:
Is there an optional 6 speed tranny for a GW?
IFFFFF someone wanted to do something to get taller gears it seem to me the more likely option would be to change the ratio of the final drive. Reverse engineering that gear pair is an unlikely but the easiest option IMHO.

I don't see it happening but it's nice to dream.

·
Registered
180 Posts
EuroWings do have coated wheels, don't bother they rot just as Quik, usualy get the wheels powder coated. It's very hard work to polish off the laquer once they start to corrode usualy after the fist wet ride!
Jas

G

·
0 Posts
Jaz - we do of course have the wonderful HISS on the GB bikes, and the wiring looms are different so that some accessories are not plug & play and the saddlebag light are different I believe - but as you say still 5 gears & the same top end as the US bikes.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I would like to see a 3 or 4 speed reverse in the Goldwing, Actually beat a Harley going backward should be really fun !! :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Six speeds for the Euro market??

coolhand said:
... no it doesnt work like that. The euro wings have the same engine and drive train / gear ratios as does the usa version.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Wow...Honda has TWO assembly kines to produce a European and American version....keeps parts on two different transmissions for the same model motorcylce

Funny....kinda like the stories I hear about Briggs & Stratton/Kohler etc....they sell he crappy version of the "same" engine to Sears but other lawn tractor manufactureres get the better version of te same engine

:roll:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Incidentally while we're talking about the Euro models, does anyone with a UK spec 1800 know if they have the plugs on the wiring loom ready to plug the front fog lights in ?

C

·
0 Posts
Dom,

I know you have been led to believe and, being an adjunct college professor and all you may want to believe its true that there is only one "universal" Wing. Well it is not so.

This engineer I know (he got his doctorate in metallurgical engineering from Cal Tech) who works as a supervisor on the GL1800 production line has told me, in strictest confidence, that a super secrete team of assemblers, not even known to their fellow employees, assembles these rare GL1800's.

The tell tale sign is that they are 3.27 inches taller than stock units and all must clear exit doors in the plant by 3:50AM to be loaded into containers bound for an unknown European port. They are all stock colors .

1 - 20 of 78 Posts