GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is involved with the 600 mile service for the 2018 DCT? Does the service manual dictate what maintenance is required? If it’s nothing but an oil change and fluids check, then I can handle it. Thoughts? Thx.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
there is no 600 mile service.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I did mine under 1k :). For all the threads people post about bad service and problems with dealerships, why not check everything to make sure it was done correctly. I posted a photo last year of a 6” piece of teflon tape that was floating around with my DCT filter. When I took the bike apart to add accessories, I was amazed at how loose (out of spec) many of the bolts had been, not to mention the few “extra” bolts I found in areas on the bike that I removed. Pulled the front wheel to add my balancers and not one drop of grease on the axle pin.

Like they say “you don’t know what you don’t know” so unless you get in there and check everything, you just assume it is OK for the first 4K miles. All large dealerships will have issues and while most bikes should be good, you really need to check to make sure your bike was not one that has issues. Granted, I’m not going to tear the engine down and check it but if I can easily get to it or perform a simple procedure, I’m going check it. Again, JMHO but the overall small cost and the time used to verify and correct these issues are well wort it. I know some will take the position of “that would never happen from my dealer” or “that’s what warranties are for” but I chose to correct issues before they become problems.

Edit. Had to change the intro as I did mine around 750

·
Registered
10 Posts
2019 Goldwing, in my instruction manual for Europe they have a 1000 km service. Change oil, oilfilters. Speed limiter seems different too, did 192 km/h already and will check again tomorrow with zumo gps installed.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
On a DCT I suggest he run the calibration program as noted by Fred in the sticky at the top of this page (there is YouTube video too). The level of oil should be checked for high or low, the final drive gear oil level should be checked and topped-up if needed (often found to be low from dealership). These are normal DIY chores.

I did my first service at 4,000 miles, the oil looked new, the engine oil filter media looked new (cut it open), the DCT cartridge filter had a bit of dark or black sludge/particulates. Next service for me will be 10,000 miles and every 5,000 beyond with other service requirements at or just before due on that 5,000 interval. I can mentally track multiples of 5 better than 4 or eight in the long run.

prs

·
Registered
203 Posts
What is involved with the 600 mile service for the 2018 DCT? Does the service manual dictate what maintenance is required? If it’s nothing but an oil change and fluids check, then I can handle it. Thoughts? Thx.
My dealer tried the same 600 mile service until I showed him the owners manual schedule at which time he says ( wow how about that ). Keep your money in your pocket.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
On a DCT I suggest he run the calibration program as noted by Fred in the sticky at the top of this page (there is YouTube video too). The level of oil should be checked for high or low, the final drive gear oil level should be checked and topped-up if needed (often found to be low from dealership). These are normal DIY chores.

I did my first service at 4,000 miles, the oil looked new, the engine oil filter media looked new (cut it open), the DCT cartridge filter had a bit of dark or black sludge/particulates. Next service for me will be 10,000 miles and every 5,000 beyond with other service requirements at or just before due on that 5,000 interval. I can mentally track multiples of 5 better than 4 or eight in the long run.

prs
And I always thought you could divide by 8

Just saying....:wink2:

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
(X - 4) / 8 is too close to algebra for this ole country boy. My way, I service the bike anytime the odometer's thousands' place ends in "0" or "5". Now that I can remember. :wink2:

prs

Reactions: Hoopdc and JF11

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the great advice. Indeed, the owner's manual brings a wealth of information. Again, thanks!!

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
2019 Goldwing, in my instruction manual for Europe they have a 1000 km service. Change oil, oilfilters. Speed limiter seems different too, did 192 km/h already and will check again tomorrow with zumo gps installed.

Interesting.:smile2:
Welcome to the forum.:grin2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you, happy to be here.
Speed limit test: tested 3 times, the bike goes up to 190.0 km/h gps and then shuts off rather abruptly till speed is again below 180 then creeps up till 180 and stays there.
Feels the same way as a rpm limiter.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
So the speed limit is the same.

112 mph = 180 kph

N.A. service schedule chart has the column for the 600 mile / 1000 km service, but the column is empty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts