GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced the following condition with their Garmin 665?

My 665 has been working fine since new in 2011 but currently has began sending an error message "USB Cable connected to wrong port" and when trying to access XM the screen indicates "XM antenna not attached". I have verified the antenna is attached and wire tyed the XM antenna and gps attaching location, cleaned the back of the gps and the pins on the harness with Radio Shack cleaner and lubricant and wiped off any excess. The XM will work sometimes and during a ride will just revert to both messages.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Bill

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alabama Wing!

I will give that a try and hope for the best. The problem seemed to come up after the unit was in use for awhile.

Take care and ride safe,

Bill

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. Tried the radio shack contact cleaner and got the same results. Smeared a little dielectric grease on the contacts on the back of the unit and on the cradle. Been fine for a few months now. Been real careful not to touch the grease if and when I remove and reinstall.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts

My 665 has been working fine since new in 2011 but currently has began sending an error message "USB Cable connected to wrong port" and when trying to access XM the screen indicates "XM antenna not attached". I have verified the antenna is attached and wire tyed the XM antenna and gps attaching location, cleaned the back of the gps and the pins on the harness with Radio Shack cleaner and lubricant and wiped off any excess. The XM will work sometimes and during a ride will just revert to both messages.

Bill
Use a pencil eraser on the contacts. Works like magic!

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. i ended up trying a hard reboot.
With reboot you will loose some of your settings. My 665 is working fine now.

To reboot power on with a finger on the lower right hand corner of the touch screen. Hold until reboot is finished and follow instructions. Like I said you will have to set the GPS up again.

Lee

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks Guys, I have tired the update and I did get 4 updates. I also added the latest maps while I was at it. However, that did not solve the problem.

I tried the the XM this morning and it worked fine but after a short ride and purposely removing and reinstalling the unit several times the error message about the usb being in the wrong port and no xm antenna showed up again.

I tried the eraser after cleaning the connectors with a little alcohol, same message, and than the dielectric grease (sparingly), same message.

Now I am in the process of a reboot.

I will post my results.

Thanks to everyone for offering their solutions. Mine might require sending the unit back to Garmin or maybe just canceling the XM subscription!

Thanks again and ride safe.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Bill
I have had this issue many times. It took me a while to find it but I did. The mount has many wires for various connections. One is a wire for (I believe) a mini usb connection. That wire needs to be covered and protected. The only thing I can figure is that the wind blowing past/through the connector eventually builds a static charge that is enough for the Zumo to detect and sent the error message. Tape it over with cloth electrical tape - not plastic or vinyl - then route it into and secure it where there will be no wind to blow over it. It worked for me. Why I had it many times was I moved my Zumo from bike to bike and got careless. I have it on the wing now and if I cold only get my phone to work through the Zumo, I'd be happy.
Larryb

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Garmin 665 problems

Well, I tried all the suggested fixes including the reboot. I relocated the GPS from the handlebar to a dash mount. I tested it at home and I thought I had it fixed. After about 100 mile ride in the Florida heat the XM antenna message started. I cleaned the connectors on the mounting plate and the XM connectors on the harness. Now I got an XM antenna message intermittenly. When I moved the connectors slightly the antenna would go off. Since my subscription was expiring I canceled the subscription and if I ever find the problem I can resubscribe. I guess I can listen to the 552 recordings I have downloaded.

Thanks to all for your help.

Ride safe,
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts