GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 420 Posts

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post this here on the Texas forum for it gets a lot of traffic. The RTE is open to everybody though!

Anybody up for some BBQ, gumbo, cold beer, the intoxicating smell of gunpowder, and seeing your old friends again? If so, make your plans to be in Southeast Texas the end of April.

I want to officially announce the date of the annual RTE to my home in Southeast Texas. I’ve ordered good weather for the last weekend in April, and we hope to see you for the main event on Saturday April 27. For those who have thought they would like to someday attend, there is a strong chance that this will be my last year to host this event. You need to come on down! I seem to be getting older every year and my old body won’t let me do what I want!

Those of you who have been here before will know the sequence, but for the newcomers here is the canned presentation.

My GPS coordinates are 30.867172,-94.247118 and my address is 1690 CR 3650, Colmesneil, TX. I'm located at the intersection of County Road 3650 and FM 92 just north of Dam B. To find it, look up the towns of Jasper and Woodville in Southeast Texas. Notice that Highway 190 runs east and west between these two towns. About halfway between Jasper and Woodville (about a mile west of Stienhagen Lake) on Highway 190 you'll see FM 92 from the South intersecting Highway 190. This intersection, marked by a flashing caution light, an Exxon convenience store, and a Dollar General is the thriving metropolis of Dam B. Now, from the caution light continue north across 190 on FM 92 for 1.75 miles and you'll find CR 3650 intersecting FM 92. I live on the southwest corner of that intersection. You'll know my place by the big white barn and garage, and my distinctive sign on the side of the road. My telephone number is 409-728-0097 just in case.

By now most of you know that the main meal will be on Saturday about noon, but the festivities will start early Friday afternoon, April 26 when the cool crowd arrives. Friday evening is casual Friday, and much alcohol will be consumed. FYI, you can buy beer and wine in nearby Jasper and Woodville, but the closest liquor is about 25 miles away in neighboring counties.

The Friday night shindigs are rapidly taking over as the main reason to come to this RTE. My wife Edith and sister-in-law Loyce have volunteered to cook gumbo. Their chicken and sausage gumbo ranks with the best I’ve ever had, and that’s saying something. Come in Friday evening if you want gumbo.

Another Friday (and Saturday also) attraction is the gun range, which is proving to be a big reason to come to this RTE. The shooting range (actually just a cleared side lot) is open to those who like the smell of gunpowder in the morning so bring your guns and ammo. I’ve cleared only a little over 100 yards, so you might not want to waste your long-range sniper rifles. The masochists among you are welcome to shoot my Mossberg Shockwave 14” barreled 12-gauge pump shotgun. Some of you guys will be bringing weapons that will make mine seem like a toy.

I’ll again grease up the stripper pole and the sound system so that Mister K and his compadres can work their magic. (Kevin, I have your trees for your hammock reserved this year)

I have lots of room for camping, but there are campsites available at the nearby Magnolia Ridge COE park for those clean freaks who demand hot showers and running water. I also checked with a few motels in Jasper.

The Econolodge at 612 W. Gibson St. (409-384-2511) gave us a rate of $65 for a single, or $70 for a double queen room.

The Best Western at 205 W. Gibson (409-384-7767) offered us a rate of $75 for a single or double room. Phillip, the manager, says that they have a bike wash area and will provide rags for washing your bike.

The Holiday Inn at 501 W. Gibson (409-384-8400) gave us a price of $112.95.

All the hotels mentioned that this weekend is also the weekend for a large fishing tournament, and said that we should reserve a room early. Anyway, tell them this is for the Glockjock RTE.

For those who survive Friday night I’ll have coffee ready about 7:00 AM Saturday, at which time I hope to be in high gear preparing to ring the dinner bell about 11:30 or so. We’ll be serving brisket, pulled pork, links, boudin, baked beans, potato salad, and desserts of some kind.

After dinner I’ll turn the microphone over to Roger, (Yoda) who will be the Master of Ceremonies for the after-dinner entertainment. I have no idea what Yoda has up his sleeve this year. I am not responsible for anything he says or does, but I promise that we’ll enjoy it.

After the entertainment we’ll have a drawing for a few door prizes. I usually provide a few Goldwing maintenance items as giveaways, and many of the attendees generously bring things to give away. We’ll also recognize the long-distance rider. I am amazed that so many of you are willing to ride 1000 to 1500 miles to Southeast Texas. That says a lot about the drawing power of our Goldwing group!

The main drawing card is you, the riders. This event allows people to visit, swap lies, and eyeball farkels with bikes and riders from all over the country. We try to serve decent BBQ, and people enjoy the chance shoot their guns, but the people themselves are the main reason why you should come on down to scenic Dam B, Texas.

BTW, fair warning. We have a lot of dogs and cats. If you don’t want pet hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture!! :)

Hope to see you here!

Glen Kenney

·
Registered
909 Posts
Already looking into either camping or staying at a hotel nearby. Thanks again for the invite, Glen!! Look forward to seeing you again!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks for the invite. Sounds like this is THE RTE to make, if a person cannot make any other. I have put it on my calendar, and hope to be there.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
we were wondering if ya retired from "the party king" :wink2: hope to be there. great times / people . that includes you ! :laugh:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Glen, this is my favorite trip of the year. Probably Kevin (aka Splash) will be coming along this year on his new 2018 Goldwing. I will attempt to get him to shed the moisture long before we get to Texas.
Woo hoo ?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I booked a room today, looking forward to joining the fun.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Joan and I will definitely be there . Reservations already made at Holiday Inn Express. This year will be something very different in entertainment and a big surprise to everyone . It will be exciting , fun , and memorable, but want involve the Village People or Mr. K or a stripper pole .>:))It's rated G for "Glen Approved"
surprise 1.jpg

·
Registered
802 Posts
I reckon I'll mosey on down to epicenter of "Deep East Texas." Please scribble my name down on the approved visitors list..!

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I'm in, maybe make a loop over to Big Bend NP on the way home.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
1 - 20 of 420 Posts