GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
19,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 - DTC non-trunk model
13k on the ODM

This one came in over a mth ago. After riding the Smokies, the owner reports that he'd loaded his Wing back onto U-Haul's m/c specific trailer, when he'd torn a hole in his engine case.

Be aware the trailer sits low, but has a short tail-gate. For safe loading, anytime anyone is loading a GW on a trailer, they should have a spotter who watches for engine drag. Often it can be corrected by placing a 2x4 between the pavement and the tail-gate, or by jack-up the trailer hitch.

As of 10/15 the engine case is on back order with no ETA.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
358 Posts
U Haul has two motorcycle trailers.

4 X 9 Trailer. (Short ramp)

5 X 9 (Has the longer ramp and Higher sides)

The Owner said in his thread. He had towed the bike with the 5 X 9
And didn't realize the $ X 9 had a shorter ramp until the bike hit the trailer. due to the ramp angle not being long enough.

That's why Tow truck operators carry 2X4's for low profile cages.(Increases ramp angle for loading)

If Alone? Always load any motorcycle Very Slowly, to check for adequate ramp angle clearance!

Automotive tire Asphalt Bumper Automotive design Gas
Tire Wheel Vehicle Truck Car

·
Vendor
19,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Loading a bike into a short trailer without being hitched to a truck will be a memorable adventure. That thing will wheel stand on ya then take off at an amazing speed, usually toward something that your insurance won't cover.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I picked up my 2019 DTC bagger from the previous owner we loaded it on to the larger U-haul trailer and it caught the exhaust shroud under the engine and bent it up. I ended up replacing the whole piece. That corrugated surface is problematic because it creates a nasty edge to catch on. When I used the same trailer again i used a 1/4" piece of plywood over the ramp angle so the bottom of the engine had a flat surface to slide on in case I had it a sharp angle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts