GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ran both bridgestone and mets 70 r/tires that could give details on what you think.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have not run both but I run the Bridgestone 851 which was made for the VTX. So far I like it. My speedo is now accurate, the bike corners much better than it did with the 60 series, I have about 3000 miles on them and they seem to be wearing okay. They eliminated the wobble. So far the only negative which is very minor is that I have to put a 1" thick piece of wood under the center stand to raise the back wheel off the floor. I'm also running the 850 on the front.

I know you said both but I hope this helps 8) good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
628 Posts
What about using the sidestand? Does it make the Wing lean a little too far? I'm thinking about trying the 70 next time around, and it SURE won't be E-3's!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
gbegoon no it is fine on the sidestand. I'm real happy with the 70 series. I suspect I won't get as high mileage out of it but I can live with that.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ditto to what Dave said. I only have about 1000 miles on the B-Stone G850 (Dave, the G851 is the front tire of this series) rear tire 180/70ZR16. It handles as well as the Metzeler ME880, which is a very good tire. I did get a few less miles with the 70 series Metzeler (7,500) compared to Dunlop E3's 70 series (10,000) and all other 60 series (8,000) like Dunlop D250's and Avon Venom R's. I have not ridden the G850 in the rain yet. I hope it handles the wet as well as the Metzeler, which is an excellent rain tire.

The 70 series will not affect the lean of the 1800 on the side stand very much, but the tire will typically touch the ground when on the center stand preventing the ability to rotate the rear tire. The can be alleviated easily by placing something flat between the ground and the legs of the center stand.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. I have a 70 avon that has almost 8k on it now and its about history. I liked it a lot i was just wanting to know what other people thought about the met & bridgestone. I have 2 r/wheels i want to keep a 60 on one and a 70 on the other. I like the 60 around here in the twistys but i think the 70 would do better out in the flat and rolling hills.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Hey wimpy, how goes it?

I had a 70 series stone once, I really liked it. Smooth riding, stuck like glue wet or dry. Problem was it flattened in the middle in about 2k miles and was slick as a gut in 4800. I want to try a metz 70 as I really like metz tires. I am runnin an avon 70 now, 4k miles, so far so good.

Gail and I were over your way a couple weeks ago. Tried to call ya and see if ya wanted to come play with us but ya didn't answer your phone. Oh well maybe next time. Later.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mike I better run out there and make sure I have them on right....LOL

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I wore out a 70 ME880 in 10,000 miles, and currently have 8,000 on a pair of Stone 850/851 Z rated 70s. Liked the Metz, Like the 850. The 850 may be just a little smoother, but both are good for me. Love the handling, the smoothness, the stickiness, and the water traction in both tires.

I expect to get about the same mileage out of the Stones as I did the Metzs, but the price is a lot less - HDLs $212 delivered during this sale VS the nearly $300 for the ME 880s.

I will add that the 70 series seems to give less mileage than the regular wing tires - I got about 12-13000 out of each set of ME880s 60 series, and cannot get that from the taller ones.

But I now have 3 new sets of G850/851s in the garage ready for wearing the bike out.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GALUTE
The next time you are out this way if you cant get me on the ph just leave me message and tell me where you are planning on going and maybe i could meet you along the way. You need to be here this sat yellow wolf and some others are going for a ride . And by the way the weather is going to be great. Hope to see you next time.

PS Hows your friend from oklahoma with the health problem doing?

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Wimpyhonda,
Gail is doing great, he had surgery for the cancer right after the Tenn. lunch run. He is recovering nicely and is down to treatments every 3 weeks or so.
Our trip 2 weeks ago happened kinda quick. I was at work about 10 am on a thursday mornin, weather was awesome, I called up Gail and told him to get his boots on and meet me at my house. Three hours later we were on our way east. Next thing I know it is Friday about lunch and we are in Lenoir City Tn. I told him I should give you a call and see if you wanted to go play with us, no answer so we moved on. Next time I will try to give ya a little more warning that we are coming. You know how it is with wingers, someone yells ride and poof they are gone. LOL.

I would love to make a run east this weekend and ride with yellow wolf and all the others but I'm still in the dog house over the last trip two weeks ago, I don't really know why, I told her we was goin for a ride and we we're only gone 4 days. Women, go figure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts