GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks have used a 70 series tire on the GL1800 wing? I am running a Metz 70 series (Valk tire) and really like the gearing and speedometer/odometer correction. Right on target..... BUT (always a but) the milage doesn't look like it's going to be very good. I've got 5K miles and the tread is now less than 4/32" - not good at all.

I talked to Metz Tech Support (Jeff) before buying the tire. He assured me it was the same rubber compound as the tire designed for the wing (one with the G molded to sidewall) and should get the same milage. From what I'm reading the normal Metz ME880 designed for the wing is getting 12K miles and better - is this correct?

The front tire is the ME880 designed for the wing (has the G molded to sidewall) and seems to be wearing just fine - but NOISE!!! SInce about 2K miles I guess the tire roar (Front I think?) been LOUD!!! Yes, I'm running about 41PSI front and rear.

Just looking for ideas on the tire milage others are getting from 70 series tires on rear - AVON? Bridgestones? Dunlops? - I'll be looking to purchase a new set in a month or so.

Thanks to all,
Ken

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
where in the tread are you measuring 4/32? If you still have 4/32 to the wear bar I would think you could very easilly get your 12000 miles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About the center is where I usually check tread depth. No, it's NOT to the wear bar - if it was still 4/32 to the wear bar I'd be in pretty good shape, but not even close. It's looks like I'll get perhaps 8K from this set.

Ken H>

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
See Tom's post on the general board.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you give me a bit more info on "Tom msg" on the general board? I looked on General board and didn't find it. Perhaps a link or something?

Thanks,

Ken >

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Feb 26th at 9:28; just a day before your initial posting on this. It was just now on page 3, but getting ready to wrap to page 4 soon. Closed Chef had some good replies and others too, as I reacall.

prs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts