GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been addressed before, but a question has come up. I have a 70 series rear tire on my '05, and the speedometer seems to be near spot-on, according to GPS. The question is, does running a 70 series rear tire also true out the odometer/tripmeter? Again, forgive me if this is an old subject. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
The odo and speedo errors are different -- go figure. But both will be closer than the OE set-up. Typically, the speedo is reported to be corrected to near spot-on and the odo is changed to where it underestimates accrued milage a tiny bit. My bike had a full 10% error on speedo and the 70 rear corrected about 7 t0 8% of that. I run a SpeedoHealer too so I am calibrated to the GPS now, but ODO is now cheating a bit in my favor. Most motorcycles and many autos are off like that too, noticed my Tacoma PU is off by 5% according to GPS and traffic radar.

prs

·
Registered
761 Posts
My 05 with 60 series tire was 4% high on the odo and about 4mph fast on the speedo. With the 70 series the odo is now 2% low on the odo and spot on for the speedo. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just changed my rear tire from a Dunlop D250 to an E3 (my money - my choice) 60 series and decided to check the ODO against my GPS. Figure it how you want but when the trip log on the GPS came up to 30 miles, the Honda Odometer says 31 miles. The speed at 70 mph on the speedometer registered 67 mph on the GPS.
Prior to the change, the GPS and speedometer differed by six miles per hour at 70 mph.
Looked through the manual - found references to a Vehicle Speed Senor but no location. Anyone happen to know where this jewel is? I think I liked the mechanical system on the 1500 better - even though the cable broke once and I had to replace it.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Greg - why not find out for yourself?

Go find a road with a speedometer check section with surveyed in milemarkers, stop at one, set the odometer, the GPS, write down the marker number. Then drive the 5 or 10 miles, stop at the last one, and see which each reads.

Then you can decide for yourself if the survyors, the GPS, or the odometer is off.

I did just that after changing to a 70 series Metzler 880, and used 50 miles of Interstate 5 milemarkers. At 50 miles, sitting at the milemarker, I had 50.1 miles on the GPS (Garmin 2610), and 49.6 miles on the Honda tripmeter. Rather than beat it to death, just decided thats close enough for the girls I go with.

A

·
0 Posts
My speedo was off by 6%, pretty much across the range from 30 mph to 80mph. I never checked it outside of that range.

Since I put the 70 series on the rear, the speedo is dead on the money across the range, and the odometer is off by about 3% in my favor. When I have traveled 100 miles by the GPS, the odometer states 97.1 miles.

I guess I will slowly earn back all those miles I gave up when the system was off by 6%.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
ammeaux said:
INTHEWIND said:
It's dangerous to ride with a 70 series on the rear. :wink:

later..Randy
That's is a strong, factless statement.
I thought the same thing. A straight out condemnation of all that dare to vary from the factory authorized tires. Then I noticed the "winky" at the end of the statement. That's when I figured he was just playing with us. :D

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Randy - Ya gotta be a little less subtle..... :eek:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My current GL1800 had 70 series on it when I got it and the speedometer was spot on, according to my Garmin 2610. I ran this check with cruise control on a straight, flat, level interstate. I recently replaced those tires and put on some Avon Venom R's with the 70 series rear and now, in the same conditions for the same test comparison I note that my speedometer is reading somewhere over 1mph and under 2 mph higher than my GPS indicates at speeds from from 45-85 mph. Certainly close enough for me.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The "correction" is more on with a brand new 70 series tire. As the tire matures, it uncorrects. My Metzeler was 0% off when new. However at the end it was off by 3% ( 8000miles when it delaminated).

I would suggest staying away from the Metzeler 70.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Mongo,

Man, don't tell me that! You make me feel bad. I just bought a Metzeler 70 series, but haven't mounted on yet as the 60 series still has enough meat on it. Yours delaminated, as you said, at 8,000 miles. What was the tire pressure that you kept your 70 series tire at. Some here suggest that you should increse it to 44 or 45 lbs. I'm just curious as to what you maintained your at.

Mike

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
My current GL1800 had 70 series on it when I got it and the speedometer was spot on, according to my Garmin 2610. I ran this check with cruise control on a straight, flat, level interstate. I recently replaced those tires and put on some Avon Venom R's with the 70 series rear and now, in the same conditions for the same test comparison I note that my speedometer is reading somewhere over 1mph and under 2 mph higher than my GPS indicates at speeds from from 45-85 mph. Certainly close enough for me.
Keep an eye on the calibration. As the tire wears and becomes smaller, it should come into calibration. :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
Mongo,

Man, don't tell me that! You make me feel bad. I just bought a Metzeler 70 series, but haven't mounted on yet as the 60 series still has enough meat on it. Yours delaminated, as you said, at 8,000 miles. What was the tire pressure that you kept your 70 series tire at. Some here suggest that you should increse it to 44 or 45 lbs. I'm just curious as to what you maintained your at.

Mike
The Metzeler has a very soft sidewall compared to the Dunlop. I suspect it cannot handle the extra size of the 70.

My Metzeler 70 looked perfect at 7000miles. Unrapped at 8000miles. Others have also reported trouble.

My tires check for it were every 3-4 days. I ran 40 psi front and 42 psi rear.

I like Metzelers for their handling in the rain. The 60 series for the Met
is fine and I have run thru a few sets in the past without problem(although they wobble more than Stones). I would not use a Metzeler 70
in the future.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Mongo had one come apart - three of us have worn three clear out without so muchs as a wiggle. I had 10000 and was just shy of the wear bars, one was past the wear bars at 8000, and one was just to the wear bars at 11000. As far as wear on the 60 series Metzs go, they last a little longer - I usually got 12-14000 on each of 5 pairs. But with the handling change, all three of us are not going back to the 60 series.

So, depends on what you like.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had been thinking of trying a 70 series tire then a friend did try one, claimed his speedo was "right on" but later when he was changing tires again, I ask why so soon, he only had 8,000 miles on his rear one but it was worn out, he said he was going back to the 60 series for that reason, no mileage from the 70. My question -- is this common with the 70? He was using Dunlops. I am now undecided.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Jeff at Metzler Tire told me that people running the 70 tires on the GL 1800 is what's causing all the problems with the Metzler tires. He said that it's the wrong tire for that bike.

That's what he said and I'm stickin to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts