GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you riders using the 70 series tire been getting for actual MPG. Did your actual MPG improve with the 70 series tire?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just over 45mpg 263 miles this last weekend with stones 850/851's. 3100 miles on the tires and easy riding, just sight seeing very few straight roads. Highest speed was 78mph. With passanger.

Guess I should have also said, mileage and speed taken off the gps.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
???
Indicated MPG would be less..
Larger diameter tire, less miles indicated on odemeter, same fuel used for actual true distance traveled = 2-4 mpg less calculated (About 8%)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Though I don't have a 70 series tire mounted yet, I believe I have your answer. Assuming the 70 series tire has a diameter that is 7% larger than the 60 series it replaced, you'd see a 7% reduction in rpm at any given speed, and your fuel mileage would appear to drop by 7% as well. In reality, it won't change noticeably, but if you're using the (miles travelled)/(gallons used) formula from the odometer, your resultant answer will appear to be 7% lower than it was before you changed tires.
For example, if you're currently getting 40mpg using the 60 series tire, you'd now show getting 37.2mpg, merely because of the difference in tire circumference. It's not that your fuel mileage has dropped 7%, it's that your fuel mileage was overstated by 7% before.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Your MPG does improve but not as much as you would think it should. I have the 70 series rear and have seen around a 1.5 MPG increase with over 30,000 miles ridden. I use my GPS to get accurate miles ridden.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
travel_man said:
Your MPG does improve but not as much as you would think it should. I have the 70 series rear and have seen around a 1.5 MPG increase with over 30,000 miles ridden. I use my GPS to get accurate miles ridden.
That's about what I would expect.

Comparing true miles to true miles is the way to do it.
Using GPS speed throghout is also another constant that would give a definitive answer.

·
Registered
696 Posts
70 tire

i may misspell this but put new plugs iriduim ngk plugs and 70 tire on at same time . now getting 48 miles to gal. by gps

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Re: 70 tire

DON OLLER said:
i may misspell this but put new plugs iriduim ngk plugs and 70 tire on at same time . now getting 48 miles to gal. by gps
What MPG were you getting before? :?

Iridium plugs or new plugs will be an improvement over old plugs. :D Were your plugs bad or just scheduled for replacement?

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
As compared to OE Bridgestone, my MPG with the 70 tires has not changed significantly. All as determined by GPS speed and distance, I get about 40mpg +-2 for every day driving. Have ued Avon and E-3, no difference there eiher.

prs

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Using the Garmin GPS and overall driving, I run about 43-44 MPG with a 70 series rear tire for the last 13,000 miles. Using the 60 series, I ran about 42-44 MPG over 50,000 miles. And when I changed to the Iriduim plugs six month ago, I detected absolutely no difference in anything - fuel mileage or performance. They are not an improvement, just a more expensive alternative.

Biggest thimg I have found to affect fuel mileage is the right hand. If you want real bragging fuel ecomony, to find a 10,000 foot Colorado pass, drive at 35-40 MPH while looking over the side of the road with no guard rails, watching the corners go by, and you will hit the over 50 mark. And enjoy doing it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can not really tell any difference in my 70 series tire vs the OEM 60 series tire for gas milage either. I don't get nearly as good as most folks do, my mileage runs from 35 to 42 mpg - depending on where/how I ride.

My worst is about 32 mpg at sealevel running 90 mph or so, and best was up in Rocky mtns at 5,000 ft to 10,000 ft, there it was about 45 mpg.

Ken H>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts