GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounted GMax yesterday and ran the psi that the shop put in, I knew it was very low, turned out to be 32.
I put maybe 50-60mi on it just to get a feel for it at low pressure, when I checked it this evening I aired it to 46 as we are leaving for up close to OK City early AM.

I have close to 3k on the 709 and ran 41 psi for about 2500mi which was very rough then 500mi at 39 psi which is still rough. It's really wearing in the middle. I am running Dyna Beads in the 709 for the first time ever. I do think that they are helping to keep the tire from cupping but being the 2nd 709, it has a hard harsh ride in the bumps compared to the first one.
After catching up on the latest PSI post on these two tires, I am gonna reset the pressure to 32 & 45 and run this 550-600 mi trip this weekend. I will report in with how it done. FB :popcorn:

PS My Wife finally has 2400mi on her Dunnies lol

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Be sure to let us know what you think. I have over 600 on mine and found that 46psi the G-Max to be kinda rough riding. Riding around two up I've found 42psi to my liking as long as there are no twisties involved! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have just over 3000 miles on my Gmax now and have found that for my riding style 44 lbs is just about right. It is showing no signs of wear at all and if I had to pick one negative about it I would say that it doesnt like uneven pavement very much and tends to wander a bit. This is my first car tire so that might be typical of all of them.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
farmerbrown, congrats on the new tire. Keep and eye on that GMax and be careful. It sounds like it has a very soft/weak sidewall. If you happen to have a rapid loos of air, you could find your hands full trying to bring the bike to a stop without bringing it down.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
farmerbrown, congrats on the new tire. Keep and eye on that GMax and be careful. It sounds like it has a very soft/weak sidewall. If you happen to have a rapid loos of air, you could find your hands full trying to bring the bike to a stop without bringing it down.
:agree: I may try some short low pressure runs on it tomorrow to see when it really gets squirrely.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

The 709 at 40 or 41 does not give a harsh ride. Sounds like a suspension issue.

If it's wearing just in the middle, you aren't leaning much. Try a bias-ply tire for the 1500. It's the Bridgestone 701. It'll give you a lot more vertical miles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Richard, It isn't working out, can't be trusted in a hard curve. FB

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I feel your pain!:eek:4:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts