GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4,500 miles on the 'stone and it is wearing perfect. 36 psi. 2 oz of beads on 40,000 mile stock suspension. Smooth as butter with minimal cupping.

20,000 miles on the Ultra and half the usable tread is gone. 3 oz of beads. It also is wearing perfect. 28 psi solo and 32.5 psi fully 2 up.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just curious - why did you take them off if they ain't worn out yet?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Easier to take pics when they're off the bike??

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have over 13,000 mi. on mine (Stone) with beads and looks great! NO CUPPING and not yet to wear bars! I'm going to change it next weekend, FREE! There is a Guy doing a seminar on changing tires with a Harbor Freight changer. I'm going to it and mounting a Kuhmo on the rear, plus mounting a Stone on the rear wheel also, I have a spare wheel. I'm sold on the Beads, it's the first Stone to not cup! JMHO, cupping is due to a not so balanced tire! My current rear is a Stone too, and not cupped either!

H

·
0 Posts
If possible, would you post some pictures of your wheels when you get them back. I'm contemplating doing this, and would like to see some more photos.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got mine back and tires mounted. The pics aren't great but it was minus 15 and I'll post some later on the bike.

Valley Design Enterprises in Fountain, MN did both of mine in satin black for $80. I think they did a great job. I had to prepare the wheels (about an hour of scotch brighting) and they cleaned them for paint. I just cleaned the outside and bead area, but their cleaner took off all the junk between the bead areas. They came back protective wrapped also. Their web site is:
www.valleydesign.biz

·
Registered
746 Posts
4,500 miles on the 'stone and it is wearing perfect. 36 psi. 2 oz of beads on 40,000 mile stock suspension. Smooth as butter with minimal cupping.
I believe if you ran the pressure up from 36psi to 41psi you will eliminate all cupping. Even my local Dealer's Service dept. recommends 41 lbs now.

My last front Stone had absolutely NO cupping when I took it off at 12,000 mi.
It still had a couple thou more life, but I changed it just before a long trip.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
But the bike has such a brutally unresponsive front end. Why would you pay $17,000 + for a bike and then worry about wear on a $200 tire?

If ultimate handling were better at firmer settings, I might understand, but while "feel" may be better with higher pressures, traction is probably better at the more comfortable settings.

Always ready to learn...

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But the bike has such a brutally unresponsive front end. Why would you pay $17,000 + for a bike and then worry about wear on a $200 tire?

If ultimate handling were better at firmer settings, I might understand, but while "feel" may be better with higher pressures, traction is probably better at the more comfortable settings.

Always ready to learn...
Yup. Race Tech valves and springs next week. 41 psi was just too rough. Youse guy in TN and NC that have roads built of rock and no frost don't understand what a clay base and 25 below does for riding pleasure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts