GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a new 709 mounted on a 2010 and now have a wobble at 25 to 30 mph...Is this common for this tire..I'm running 36 psi..Never had a wobble with the stock Dunlops..Maybe a little more air ???

·
Registered
442 Posts
I put a new G709 on and had the very same problem. Ran my indicator over it and it had small oval low spot of approximatley .028" to .031", just off center. Bought another, same model, mounted and problem solved. As a rule, the Bridgestone have few problems and that's why I got another.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As above had the same problem 2 weeks ago over here in the UK.tyre is away to bridgestone UK for testing .replaced mine with a metzeler me880glx now its perfect .
Glenn/uk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just put a 709 on mine as well......no wobble.....it was balanced at the shop PLUS I put da' beads in the tire.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just had a new 709 mounted on a 2010 and now have a wobble at 25 to 30 mph...Is this common for this tire..I'm running 36 psi..Never had a wobble with the stock Dunlops..Maybe a little more air ???
Put 40psi in it and see never had a problem out of a 709 even when its worn out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i think the point is if you get a good Bridgestone then yes they are excellent but if like me you got a bad one its nightmare .in the uk you have to buy another tyre or wait for them to test it around 20 days in total.but before you can do that you have to have it rebalanced again,rotate the tyre 180 deg on the rim and rebalance,have wheel balanced with out the tyre , even though it didn't have a problem before fitting the Bridgestone and thats why i didn't fit another Bridgestone .but the metzeler me880 marathon glx is also an excellent tyre and when my rear one is gone i will replace it with a metzerler.
glenn/uk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sitting, waiting on mine to be installed now. Hoping for no wobble, which I was getting from the high mileage Dunlop 250 it's replacing.

·
DSI Keeper
9,183 Posts
.... .but the metzeler me880 marathon glx is also an excellent tyre and when my rear one is gone i will replace it with a metzerler.
glenn/uk
glennuk, wait until you get a few miles on that tire (Metzler me880 tyre) and report back that you don't have any wobble. I have never had a tank slapper on the wing, but the closest I been to it is when I was coasting downhill (about 45 mph) when my headset cable came loose. I let go of the handle bars long enough to re-attach it and it was a hand full trying to smooth out the shake. Tire had about 5000 miles on it and was very near its end of life.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I hope the Bridgestones are good tires....I just installed front and back BS on the bike less than 1 hour ago...its raining outside...thus at home typing away...

But I was told by the dealer that I should ride with 41 psi in the tire...36psi seems low...? thoughts on who rides BS tires...?

FYI...On Tires....There is no one good tire out there...I tried Dunlaps...lowest mileage....I tried Avon Cobras...wore out back in 10000 miles (very disappoint with the tire would not recommend) Now trying Bridgestones...some day they will invent a tire for a GW that will go 20K miles...most likely after I am six feet under :lol:

Safe Rides

·
Registered
212 Posts
I too wondered why the dealer suggested 41 psi for the front tire (new stone) when the manual states 36 psi (for the Dunlops I assume). I found the 41 psi to be a very harsh ride so I split the difference... now I run around 38 psi in the front and 41 psi in the back... seems to be better. Of course, if you are running on a smooth road, you could run 45 psi and get a decent ride... but there aren't a lot of smooth roads on a one week trip, eh!

·
IronMan
17,798 Posts
Higher pressure supposed to help stop cupping n get better wear however you feel everything thru the bars imop

1 - 15 of 15 Posts