GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my recent experience. Checked my valves for the first time at 76,000 miles on my '04. All were within specifications. I'm not sure they were any closer to the middle of specs when new. So, I put things back together and went riding.
Life is good.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just wanted to share my recent experience. Checked my valves for the first time at 76,000 miles on my '04. All were within specifications. I'm not sure they were any closer to the middle of specs when new. So, I put things back together and went riding.
Life is good.
:agree::agree:Over 62K on my '08 and the valves are still within spec's.........Honda still needs to put in hydraulics!

R

·
0 Posts
:agree::agree:Over 62K on my '08 and the valves are still within spec's.........Honda still needs to put in hydraulics!
I'm confused.The solid lifters hold their clearances very well,and they are simple to change when they need to be changed.If Honda went to hydraulics,performance would suffer a significant amount.Your reason?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Life is good.
CJ,
Your the Man!!! Ride safe

Bob VanNess'ster

P

·
0 Posts
I'm confused.The solid lifters hold their clearances very well,and they are simple to change when they need to be changed.If Honda went to hydraulics,performance would suffer a significant amount.Your reason?
How about ... no maintenance cost or down time. Checking and adjusting valve lash is a pain if you do it every 32,000 per the Honda schedule. And rest assured that even if no valves needed to be shimmed at 60K, they sure will need to by 120K, maybe more than once in the life of the engine.

Car engines have hydraulic lifters in engines that rev much higher and produce three times the HP of Goldwing. Seems only logical to go with a maintenance free design.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i just had gary's hoby shop do my valve adjustment on my 03 at 85,ooo. he said that 5 were out of specs. he also said that it was the nastyest wing engine on the inside that he had ever seen. that was not good to hear to say the least. i have used nothing but amsoil 20/50 and pure one filters since new, and changed oil bout every 6000 miles. what a bummer.gonna keep ridin it till it just wont run any more.i'm headed to wing ding fri see some of yall there. maxster :evil:

·
Registered
267 Posts
i just had gary's hoby shop do my valve adjustment on my 03 at 85,ooo. he said that 5 were out of specs. he also said that it was the nastyest wing engine on the inside that he had ever seen. that was not good to hear to say the least. i have used nothing but amsoil 20/50 and pure one filters since new, and changed oil bout every 6000 miles. what a bummer.gonna keep ridin it till it just wont run any more.i'm headed to wing ding fri see some of yall there. maxster :evil:
Did he tell you what you needed to clean it up?

·
Registered
169 Posts
How about ... no maintenance cost or down time. Checking and adjusting valve lash is a pain if you do it every 32,000 per the Honda schedule. And rest assured that even if no valves needed to be shimmed at 60K, they sure will need to by 120K, maybe more than once in the life of the engine.

Car engines have hydraulic lifters in engines that rev much higher and produce three times the HP of Goldwing. Seems only logical to go with a maintenance free design.
not the newer 4 cyl. cars that go 300,000 miles they have solid lifters

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
he also said that it was the nastyest wing engine on the inside that he had ever seen. that was not good to hear to say the least. i have used nothing but amsoil 20/50 and pure one filters since new, and changed oil bout every 6000 miles. :evil:

Uh oh. Sounds like the start of yet another oil thead!:popcorn:

But the "nastyest" wing engine ever and you have been using some of the (supposedly) best oil out there? What's up with that I wonder?

·
Registered
4,984 Posts

I doubt most Wing riders could tell. All motorcycle engines should have hyd. lifters except built for racing machines, which to my knowledge is only MX motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
mitymax, did you actually SEE inside the engine? I have known mechanics that say things like that to get more business somehow, or if they know you use a certain oil, they say it just to sell "their" oil whatever that is. Not saying this was what was happening in your case, but I know it happens.

Do you take a lot of very short trips? Park the bike outside? It is just highly unlikely that with the care you are taking that this would happen.

I know of one certain car that had this happen because of a design flaw, but I haven 't heard of anything cropping up in the 1800, and it has been around a long time.

Take out the dip stick and shine a light in there? If it is that bad under the valve covers there should be some junk everywhere.

·
Registered
369 Posts
nope i didn't see inside the valve covers, wish i had.but trying to get more work i dont think so. he is more than a month behind most of the time and has a very good rep in the area .he asked what kind of oil i used. i told him he said he had never heard any bad things bout the oil or filters, he did not know what caused the sludge . thanks for the feed back guys. maxster :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts