GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. Over the last month, I was able to complete my most memorable ride yet...as the posting title says, 7700 miles in a month,

My travels began with a trip from Flintstone Ga, to Cassey Il for a post moonshine lunch event offered by the ST Owners Group. After a moonshine burger it was off to Seattle to visit my children and ride the incredible areas nearby.

Then menandered to Spearfish SD for the St group's NatStoc event where about 60 of us camped in the City's campground, which is truly first class...

My travels included as many scenic vistas, coastline, mtns, swollen river, the plains and a boat load of neat out of the way spots, towns and friendly people who made this one heck of a trip.

06 Wing performed flawlessly, mileage was consistantly at or near 50 mpg's...although seat need to be replaced, or may try air rider....also in need of new skins, so may entertain double darkside..

Next longer ride, will be to Upper MI near Marquette for another ST event. I would encourage all whom enjoy riding, camping, great people on mostly St's but lots of Wings, sport tourers...all share a true love for riding, the journey and meeting old friends while making new ones along the way....

Sure hope all of you get the chance to enjoy such an incredible ride...be safe and enjoy!

Doug / AG5I

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats:That is some serious riding there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was truly great, although my mileage was all around 40mpg....sure would have loved to obtain 50 but still very happy with my experience, especially given the terrain, various speeds and altitude...also tried non ethanol fuel to see if mileage increased...no noticeable improvement

See ya later

Doug / AG5I

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Doesn’t seem there’s much quilt making done lately. Enjoy your retirement. If I did that I would be 3 times around here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Seat

AG5i:
Before you go out and spend a bunch of dough on a seat. Spend a little and pick up a gel seat. They aren't expensive. I did a 10,000 mile trip last year without one (4 Corners) and a 9500 mile trip last month with one. The difference was incredible. The first trip I was always moving my butt around to adjust for discomfort. On the second trip there was no discomfort at all. I did both trips in 16 days so I spent a lot of time in the saddle. Longest day was about 1200 miles. (Ocala, FL. to New Orleans to San Antonio Alamo, to Kerrville, Texas) Both trips were done on the same bike, an 08 Wing.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to test ride an air rider gel seat next week since they're just down the road from my home...from what I have heard they do a nice job...thanks for your input, and nice job on the riding...very impressive.

Doug / AG5I

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
That is some serious miles Doug:thumbup:. Glad you had a good time. I thought I was getting a few miles in but have only done 10k since mid May.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It wall truly a remarkable trip. May attempt a redo next yr, in conjunction with the ST Owners Group NatStoc event, headquarteded at the Spearfish SD Municipal Campground...which I may add is a true gem in every sense.

That group has a great website, is welcoming to all bike types, they ride, ride and ride...loads of fine folks, incredible knowledge base...I'd encourage all Wingers to take a look...you may want to give them a look.

My next ride, in mid to late July will be YoopperStroc in MI's UP...should be able to put in excess of 3K on my new DD Sider skins.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Doug / AG5I

·
Registered
939 Posts
Did you enter the chapter ride contest?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts