GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Hitch...8 Hours and a whole lot of...

blood, sweat and cussing...

I got the Rivco hitch installed on the 2012.

Follow the Rivco instructions but add the following:

Remove rear wheel
Remove Amplifier Housing
Line everything up and install the Amplifier housing before you tighten anything.

Also scrap the plugs that comes with their trailer wiring kit and splice the wires in just before the plug going to the rear of the bike. You will have to extend their wiring.

Then the last part is you have to cut and cut some more of the rear fender to make the hitch work.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good, was it made for the '12' or did you get an older one & make adjustments to it?
I took the hitch of my 08 Wing and made it work.

Rivco will not offer a hitch for the 2012 until they get a 2012Wing in.
I communicated to them what I did to make it work and will see if they respond.

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
That is a really nice looking hitch! I'd sure be nervous about cutting a hole in the rear fender without a good template.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Nice install job, looks great.
:thumbup:

Did you have to remove the rear tire, or was it just something you chose to do?

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Did you have to remove the rear tire, or was it just something you chose to do?
Thanks

Well in order to have the hitch frame in place and get the amplifier back in and lined up it was needed to remove the rear wheel to get my gorilla hands in there and get the amp plug wormed back in place.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Super install, looks sweet. :thumbup:

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more pics...

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Nice clean install. I like the fact that most connectors are encased in boots now. You sir are now a PIONEER probably being the first to do this mod.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Very nice install :nojoke:

But I bet it was hard cutting into a brand-new expensive toy. I sweat anytime I do anything that involves cutting into the plastic. My hat's off to you sir. :thumbup:

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job
Now go out and pull somthing across the country and enjoy it.

Barry:thumbup:
Thanks

I am picking up my trailer that me and a friend put together in a few days. We build an inline trailer from scratch and the last part will be mating it with the rivco receiver.

Hopefully it all works out. Then I need to spend some time on my other 2 monsters, a Triumph Rocket that is supercharged and my 1st Gen S-10 convertible Pickup with a small block 350.

Not enough time and I still want to reach at least 25k miles this year. Averaging about a 1000miles a week which is not enough!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts