GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the gold wings and have been interested in them for a while I have an opportunity to buy an 87 interstate for 2000 with only 15000 miles on it the only issue is it has sat for four years with out being started I'm just wondering if this is something I should worry bout or should I go for it

·
Registered
364 Posts
The biggest issue, in my opinion, is if it sat that long with gas in the carbs it will take a lot of expertise and money to make it run right.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It would be a good deal if you could do the work yourself if you knew what all the issues were and if you wanted that smaller motor. I've owned several GL1200, GL1500, and Gl1800 bikes plus several Valkyries. Lots of these are available cheap. Valkyries can be had in the 3Ks that run great. I'd want a nice GL1500 over a GL1200. I'm not much of a mechanic so I end up spending money getting stuff fixed, so I don't buy bikes that don't run. It is a GREAT buyers market out there for cheap bikes. Don't have to buy one that doesn't run. Just one person's opinion.

Dan

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Unless that bike is in good running condition I think it’s over priced and you could get one for less.

But.... if you like tinkering and you like the bike I don’t think it matters.... buy it and have fun. It’s sounds like a good bike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would love to buy one of those vintage for $2K! Up here they'd be $8K or more.
I would buy it, take the carbs off and soak them to loosen and get the gunk cleaned out professionally.

Check bearings, front forks (change the oil), change all other fluids and probably a new battery.
Go touring and stay in nice motels with the money you saved.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Love the GL1200s. I think they are the best looking GoldWings of all. 1987 was the last year for them and they were pretty nice. Unfortunately they were made for only 4 years and over 30 years ago. Parts are very difficult to find and dealers don't seem to want to work on older bikes so you'd have to do a lot of wrenching yourself. In your area there might be several other options. The Interstate was the cheaper version with less goodies. The Aspencade had the CB radio and digital dash. I pulled my KwikKamp tent/trailer with it - no problem. Very capable bike.

I loved my 1985 Aspencade. I bought it in 2003. In 2005 needed some work that I wasn't prepared to do myself - nothing big but it was either put some money in to that or buy a new one. When the 2006s were announced and I saw "gold" as a color option I decided to sell the GL1200 and get a new gold one. I loved the 1985 Limited gold two-tone and thought it would be closer to that color. It's not but I love it anyway.

I loved just about every vehicle I've ever owned, but at some point you have to get something newer. That's me anyway. If you really want the 1987 Interstate and have the means and desire to keep it on the road then go for it! Make an offer. I'll be jealous. :) On the other hand, you may want to consider paying more up front and getting a newer one from the start. That's about the best advice I can give.

Let us know what you do. And don't forget: PICTURES!!! :)

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
You are not buying a motorcycle, you are buying a hobby.

Reactions: Big Tom

·
Registered
802 Posts
The biggest issue with the GL1200 series was with the alternator stator failing. The stator had to be replaced twice on the 1984 Aspencade we had. It is a major job of removing the engine from the frame in order to remove and replace the stator. This is most likely why Honda designed the next generation of Goldwing engines with a more automotive style alternator that was externally mounted for easier removal/replacement. The GL1200 is a beautiful bike, but it needs a volt meter to let you know when you could become stranded.

Reactions: Jak and CAWing

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Yea, they were good for the most part, but the stator was a common problem, and the carbs are not easy to work with. My dad had a new 84 and it didn't sit terribly long, maybe 6 months, and the carbs were a disaster. They are CV carbs, and 2 of them the diaphrams were all rotted and they were $100 each. This was 12yrs ago. After cleaning the carbs, replacing the diaphrams it still ran and idled very poor, then the other two diaphrams rotted, so with clean synced carbs, all four new diaphrams I figured I would be in good shape, but it still idled and ran poor. My dad decided to quit riding, and gave me the bike. I gave up and sold it and got the GL1800. I would never want another GL1200. It was good when it was new, but after aging looking back at the motorcycle, my dad had a lot of issues with it.
I sold it for $2,000 even though it wouldn't run right, but this was back in 2008. Seems they can be bought for less, but there are some really cosmetically challenged to say the least. If it's really nice and not all garbaged out it might be worth working with if you have the desire.

·
Registered
971 Posts
On the other side of the coin..........I have an 86 Aspencade with 83 k on it. It has the original stator. I did hardwire it when I purchased the bike in 89. The bike now sits in storage for 6-7 months every year in Florida. I have never had the carbs off the bike. I treat it with seafoam every year before storing. I will admit that I had a small flat spot this year, but it went away. So I may have to break down and work on them this next season. After 30 yrs. guess I can live with it. It has been a great bike. :smile2:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get it if you like to tinker.
I think there is a stator upgrade kit, that allows you to install an automotive type alternator.
But seriously, for the money you will have in this bike not to mention the heartache, you can find a nice GL1500 that runs real well.
The 1500 is a better bike anyway you look at it, in my opinion.
But a GL 1200 in good shape is a sweet bike.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If I remember correctly the GL1200's had a 5 digit odometer --
That 15,000 miles may be 115,000 miles -
Look at the rubber parts on the foot pegs for excess wear - scratches around the key holes --
Any bike that has been sitting for a long time will require some attention --
I DID love my 1200 while I had one.

·
Registered
640 Posts
II never owned a 1200, but I rode a couple and it's a nice bike, but as others said here you can probably find a nice 1500 for about the same price unless you're into tinkering. Anything that's been sitting that long I would try jump starting it to make sure the motor isn't seized. You should be prepared to spend some time and money on brake parts, tires and fluids to get it up to par. Good luck and enjoy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts