GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had to go back for 2 reasons. First was the TPMS light would not go out? I tried the process from the manual and the way the dealer had me try it. Drained the air out of tires (1 at a time) by pulling valve core and re filling but light would not go out. It is under warranty, it's just frustrating to have a brand new bike and need to take it back. They have a 4 day back log so it will probably be a week before i see it. The second thing is something im not sure if i have seen anyone else have on here? Twice i have rolled up to a light and the bike has stalled out. You cant just tap the start button and it comes back. I had to shut off bike all the way and then turn back on and and get in neutral and start it. the key is in my pants pocket both times. I asked them to check it out because it should no stall when rolling up to a stop under any normal riding conditions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine also stalled at a stop light in the first 30km or so. I was able to just click the start button and it fired right back up though.

It’s been good since then, but only have about 250km on the clock now.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It had to go back for 2 reasons. First was the TPMS light would not go out? I tried the process from the manual and the way the dealer had me try it. Drained the air out of tires (1 at a time) by pulling valve core and re filling but light would not go out. It is under warranty, it's just frustrating to have a brand new bike and need to take it back. They have a 4 day back log so it will probably be a week before i see it. The second thing is something im not sure if i have seen anyone else have on here? Twice i have rolled up to a light and the bike has stalled out. You cant just tap the start button and it comes back. I had to shut off bike all the way and then turn back on and and get in neutral and start it. the key is in my pants pocket both times. I asked them to check it out because it should no stall when rolling up to a stop under any normal riding conditions.

How many horn honks did you get while trying to restart that bike? LOL!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many horn honks did you get while trying to restart that bike? LOL!!
haha well luckily i was able to roll off to the side of the road. Im just glad i was not leading my club cause i would have never heard the end of that with all the HD and Indians and Victorys i ride with.

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I woulda just put the TPMS problem on the list for next scheduled maintenance at there dealer. Woulda just used a gauge to manually check TP about once per week in the interim. No way I'd let them keep my bike, this time of year, for that. But I realize not everyone thinks as I do. LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
The auto-stop "feature" is definitely disabled on my bike, so that wasn't it. It seems okay for now, but I'll be taking it in pretty quick if it continues to be an issue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I woulda just put the TPMS problem on the list for next scheduled maintenance at there dealer. Woulda just used a gauge to manually check TP about once per week in the interim. No way I'd let them keep my bike, this time of year, for that. But I realize not everyone thinks as I do. LOL
Well I think like you do and i do all of my own maintenance or at least all that is in my wheelhouse. I am in Michigan and although yesterday was 70 and sunny, tomorrow's high is 40 and snow is predicted for wed and thurs. So a couple of days at the dealer for tire r&r is not a bad deal. I did put the 80 plus miles on it by checking with a gauge figuring the light was just a malfunction.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
It's really really easy to switch the idling stop from between on and off when on the road.

If the 'start' button is pushed when it's running, it will switch.
When it's disabled, the 'idle stop off' indicator light (under the TOUR display) will be on.

If the engine is off due to idling stop, re-starting by pressing the start button will both restart AND disable the idle stop.
Restarting by twisting the throttle does not disable the idle stop.
I'm guessing, but I suspect this is because the act of restarting is also telling the controls "I don't want idle stop on right now".

Next time it's stops at a light, (check to see if the 'idling stop off' indicator is on, then) give the throttle a little twist and see if it restarts.

also not that idling stop will not work if the engine is not warmed up, the hill start assist is activated or if the battery isn't sufficiently charged.

Sure sounds like idle stop to me -- since restarting with the button will turn idle stop off, it wouldn't do it at the next light.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Canadian bikes have an auto stop feature. Are you sure that is not the problem.
That feature was not clicked on the menu. I don't like that on cars im sure i would hate that on my wing

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's really really easy to switch the idling stop from between on and off when on the road.

If the 'start' button is pushed when it's running, it will switch.
When it's disabled, the 'idle stop off' indicator light (under the TOUR display) will be on.

If the engine is off due to idling stop, re-starting by pressing the start button will both restart AND disable the idle stop.
Restarting by twisting the throttle does not disable the idle stop.
I'm guessing, but I suspect this is because the act of restarting is also telling the controls "I don't want idle stop on right now".

Next time it's stops at a light, (check to see if the 'idling stop off' indicator is on, then) give the throttle a little twist and see if it restarts.

also not that idling stop will not work if the engine is not warmed up, the hill start assist is activated or if the battery isn't sufficiently charged.

Sure sounds like idle stop to me -- since restarting with the button will turn idle stop off, it wouldn't do it at the next light.
I thought that might be it but it does not do it every time.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I thought that might be it but it does not do it every time.
That's would be because if it is stopped due to idle stop, it will turn the idle stop off when you restart with button.

If you restart using throttle, the idle stop will stay on.

You can verify if this is the issue by using throttle to restart instead of the start button.

Can also look a the indicator light under the word TOUR / SPORT / ECON / RAIN.
The indicator is for Idle Stop OFF.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's over at the dealer so i will give them a chance to work it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sure sounds like idol stop...I actually don't mind it at all...went for a nice ride Sunday and I must have accidentally activated it as it stopped when I was at a light...tried it a few more stops and it starts up instantly...will leave it for now...does not impact in any negative way

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
Glad the US bikes don't have that Idle Stop crapola on their bikes

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad the US bikes don't have that Idle Stop crapola on their bikes
Yeah Im in Michigan so that shouldn't be going on

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Yeah Im in Michigan so that shouldn't be going on
I guess that's why it's nice to have some sort of location info on avatar.

Makes all my comments kinda pointless.
I can't imagine that Honda wold let an idle stop bike loose in the US.

On my part, I shoulda/coulda picked up on the XM antenna being installed in the list in the sig footer.
CDN 2018's don't have the connection in the audio unit for the XM antenna.

Curious to hear what Honda decides is going on.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess that's why it's nice to have some sort of location info on avatar.

Makes all my comments kinda pointless.
I can't imagine that Honda wold let an idle stop bike loose in the US.

On my part, I shoulda/coulda picked up on the XM antenna being installed in the list in the sig footer.
CDN 2018's don't have the connection in the audio unit for the XM antenna.

Curious to hear what Honda decides is going on.
Point taken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts