GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday coming back from Savannah, GA I blew the rear tire about 20 miles out on I 16 W. Called 911 about 10:15 a.m. for a wrecker to get me off the side of the very busy and wet interstate. Also called the wife in Montgomery to hook up the trailer and come pick us up.

I expected that I would have to wait an hour or so for a wrecker to show up. After five hours of waving at the bikers returning from Biketoberfest. My wife showed up with the trailer. A very kind 1500 winger stopped and helped us load the wing on the trailer.

Luckily, I had three beers in the saddle bag to enjoy as I watched several hundred vehicles shoot by me on wet pavement just a foot or so from my bike.

Bottom line is DON'T count on 911 for help.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm sorry for your trouble...but 911 has no control over wrecker response times. Yes, they can notify the wreckers, but the wrecker companies respond in their own sweet time.

Dep

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,686 Posts
Dan,

What made the tire go down?

If it was a nail a tire plug kit and a cmpressor would have saved your bacon and gotten you back on the road.

Glad you are OK and got the bike home safely.

Bob E.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Robeth,

Not sure what caused the flat. Rear end did a little fishtailing. Got it to the side of the road just in time to hear a pop.

It was raining very hard, so its possible I ran over some FOD without seeing it.

Could not see any damage to the tire while sitting beside the road.

Will have the Honda shop check for cause tomorrow when I take it for repair.

Running stones with only about 5k on them.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Cap'n, glad you got your motorcycle home. Doesn't sound like a fun day.
What i don't understand is how so many motorcyclists passed you by without stopping to see if they could help.
I'll admit that i'm "old school",but if i see a motorcyclist parked on the side of the road, i always stop to see if all is O.K.. That's the way it "used to be". All have been appreciative of my stopping,whether or not assistance was needed. Some even seemed surprised :shock: that someone would stop.
On numerous occasions i've brought gas back, lent my cell phone,rode to motorcycle dealers,& assisted in anyway i could to stranded motorcyclists.
Used to be a "helmet on the side of the road" meant the motorcyclist needed assistance,but i don't know if anyone remembers or knows of this signal anymore, so i always stop just in case.
It's just the biker way.
Stay safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
breakdown

Sounds like the HRCA or (God forbid) GWRRA tow package would have been a good thing to have. Or AAA or what ever. You situation is exactly what I hope to avoid and why I have both packages because I sure don't have a trailer or a car to pull one.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I know in my area 911 is reserved strictly for emergencies, not disabled vehicles unless the vehicle is causing road hazard. Having worked in the fire rescue field my entire adult life, I know what it can be like to be in the middle of an emergency and be interupted by a routine problem.

I am glad you did get the help you needed, but in my area 911 should not be your first choice unless there is a true emergency.

Please don't take this wrong, I am just trying to educate, not flame. I wasn't there and do not know your circumstances.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Captain Dan, I am glad you got it to the side without going down and everything is OK other than your wife is probably mad at you. I do have to take exception to your statement on not counting on 911 for help. If you dial 911 it is for EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE. You will get Police or Fire/Medical assistance. Wrecker services are privatly owned, as Dep pointed out, and the 911 operator that took your call and called one as a courtesy for you. During inclement weather Police get busy, the Operator you spoke with could have been handeling 2 or 3 emergency calls at the time. Also cell phone callers often do not give a good location of where they are. I have seen too many times, police cars and fire trucks running up and down the road looking for the caller. The GWRRA or HRCA would have been the call to make or do what I have done and call 411 get the # and talk to the wrecker company directly. 911 is not perfect there are rare situations where it fails, but if you have a need Police, Fire/Medical you can count on a call to 911.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I wouldn't bet on GWRRA roadside assistance either. One of our riders locked his 1800 keys in the 1800 trunk....He called roadside assistance and they did not know what a gl1800 was.....So while he was trying to explain it to the nice people what a Goldwing was and in fact it is not a car.....I bought a .50 fly swatter, cut the wire made a hook and opened the trunk...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Re 911, I think this is a gray area. If you're parked only a couple of feet or less from vehicles whizzing by at 70+ mph, that's an emergency in the making. Ever see those police videos of people that don't stay in the lanes and hit cops, cars, and etc on the side of the highway?
If he was in fear for his life, then yes, 911 call was justified.

David M.

·
Registered
430 Posts
David M. said:
Re 911, I think this is a gray area. If you're parked only a couple of feet or less from vehicles whizzing by at 70+ mph, that's an emergency in the making. Ever see those police videos of people that don't stay in the lanes and hit cops, cars, and etc on the side of the highway?
If he was in fear for his life, then yes, 911 call was justified.

David M.
Not trying to be a smartass (comes natural), but if I was in fear of my life, and probably would be beside a road when it's raining and traffic is whizzing by a couple of feet away, I would get the hell outta there ASAP. At least walk up towards traffic and off the highway a bit. Calling 911 ain't gonna keep someone from running over ya.

Don't know what kind of tire failure caused the downtime, but I use Ride-On sealant and have never been stranded because of a flat. But then I never took a nail in the tire. I think it works like a raincoat or umbrella - if you have it with you, you probably won't need it :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts