GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just got an opportunity to purchase a gl1800, 01' with 23000mi on it.
Is it any good? (exept the frame issue) i ride about 15500mi a year.
What mechanical or electrical problems should i expect?

Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
if you take care of it, you shouldnt expect anything but lots of fun

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I have an '01 GL1800 and it is in absolutely pristine condition. It all depends if you personally know the person. Depends if said person has kept a maintenance record since new, like I have. Depends on the condition of the motorcycle. Depends on the appearance of it. Depends on whether he's kept up with recalls/service bulletins, etc. And finally, depends on the price.

I wouldn't hesitate to sell my Wing to any friend I have, nor, I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to jump on buying my Wing, knowing how well its been kept.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
With miles that low, it should be good to go. Listen for strange noises while it's running (knocks, clicks, ticks), also look for smoke from the pipes and look underneath to see if anything has leaked. If it checks out, I'd say go for it if the price is right. If well maintained, they can run 200,000 miles or more.

2W

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Should make sure recalls have been taken care of. Be sure to ask.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
At 23,000 miles -- it's barely broke in! There's not much maintenance the owner needs to have done in 23K miles except 4-6 changes of oil and maybe an air filter replacement. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if the bike has sat for long periods of time without being run or the battery not kept on a battery tender. If so, you need to go over it with a fine tooth comb -- things like rust in the gas tank, deterioting hoses, dried up grease in the drive-train splines, etc., etc. Still, if you're mechanically inclined, for the right price it could be a sweet deal. On the other hand, if it's a lightly used, low-mileage bike, you could be looking at a REALLY sweet deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have had my'02 with 27k for two years now, now have 48k no big issues to date. If yours will need tires very soon, start doing the ROF car tire research now so you will be informed when the time comes for new shoes.(each his own of course). I moved to the darkside with the Kumho ROF three weeks ago and, so far, much superior to a MC tire IMHO & 1200 miles. You will really like this forum for your new Goldwing ownership.:congrats:

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you'd like an opinion on the price, let us know.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have a 01, have no reason to trade it for a newer one. Have worked 3 years getting it like I want, would not want to start over.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
At 23,000 miles -- it's barely broke in! There's not much maintenance the owner needs to have done in 23K miles except 4-6 changes of oil and maybe an air filter replacement. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if the bike has sat for long periods of time without being run or the battery not kept on a battery tender. If so, you need to go over it with a fine tooth comb -- things like rust in the gas tank, deterioting hoses, dried up grease in the drive-train splines, etc., etc. Still, if you're mechanically inclined, for the right price it could be a sweet deal. On the other hand, if it's a lightly used, low-mileage bike, you could be looking at a REALLY sweet deal.
Buzz,

If you think that an '01 would only have needed so far was 4 to 6 oil changes, then you are mistaken. For starters the tires definitely should be changed because of dry-rot. Brake fluids and clutch fluids should have been done at least once every 2 years. It's not only the miles, but actually time that deteriorates this fluid. That is why I mentioned that a close scrutiny of the maintenance record is in order.

Then you mention rust in the gas tank? Come on man! All GL1800 have plastic gas tanks. :lol:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would say go for it. As long as it was maintained and you plan on taking care of it, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Buzz,

If you think that an '01 would only have needed so far was 4 to 6 oil changes, then you are mistaken. For starters the tires definitely should be changed because of dry-rot. Brake fluids and clutch fluids should have been done at least once every 2 years. It's not only the miles, but actually time that deteriorates this fluid. That is why I mentioned that a close scrutiny of the maintenance record is in order.

Then you mention rust in the gas tank? Come on man! All GL1800 have plastic gas tanks. :lol:
Well . . . I FORGET a few things. So sue me! - LOL!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome on board yah habibi.
haha nice one..

Thank you all again for the tips, im sure that if ill go for it i will have to change all the fluids.
A 2001' price in this half peanut country is at least 26000$, plus, i need to sell my 2007 silverwing 600, so there quit a way ahead of us..
By the way, i maitain my Swing by myself for 5 years so i intend to do so with the GL1800 too. (already have the service manual)

·
Registered
262 Posts
the only issue I can think of is you will go through tires faster than you think....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts