GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an air filter change on my 09 today and it took 4 hours. No matter how I try to speed things up I always get caught with little things that seem to take an inordinate amount of time like getting the air ducts in place or alignment issues. Coupled with the cleaning that I do since I have the seat and shelter off, I seem stuck at 4 hours and if I were a shop charging $70 bucks and hour I would have to charge $280 which wouldn't make for many return customers. Some guys on here claim 1 hour and I think that is amazing. Well, at least it started and ran fine with no lost parts, screws or redo's.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sounds like you doing a fine job...why rush it and have to tear it apart again...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
getting to know your bike is part of the fun. I have changed my airfilter 5 times now and it gets easier each time. this time I took the extra time to flush out the outside of the radiators. amazing how much stuff came out of them from 94k miles. bb

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Does that count the time it took to go from the garage to the refrigerator to get a cold one? :cool:

Why rush it and screw up? Nice job saving the $$$$!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Signature

To: Banana Boy: I've been wondering about your "signature" for some time now.....

"Sky is Blue, Sea is Green and ole Satanclause is out there looking for you. Be Prepared son, Be Prepared. That's my motto. Bruce Willis. Last Boyscout. "

Is it really supposed to be Satan (the devil) :twisted: clause? ("clause" as like in a contract?)

Or is it supposed to be SANTA CLAUS? (Like the jolly old elf himself)?

Maybe I need to rent this movie.

Just wondering......

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
getting to know your bike is part of the fun. I have changed my airfilter 5 times now and it gets easier each time. this time I took the extra time to flush out the outside of the radiators. amazing how much stuff came out of them from 94k miles. bb
1800 is still new to me to work on and I have to change my air filter and with everything off is this when I could flush and add new coolant? It only has 25K miles but 9 year old coolant. Thanks

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I haven't tried it yet but I figure the "having a new to me toy" will have worn off by the time the air filter needs replaced again and I will give it a shot. However, I have gotten good at changing the oil and laying it down in the drive for the rear tire! :)

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
I hour 43 minutes start to finish using Freds dvd(3 beers)

·
Registered
335 Posts
It sounds like you found a new form of relaxation and therapy.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Don't worry about it... if you were a shop, and an experience GW mechanic, it would only take you an hour to do... but you wouldn't take your time and clean it, etc like you did... and, I'm sure you didn't forget to reconnect the right pocket lock cable like my last mechanic did... fortunately, I didn't have to take the bike back as I knew how to access and fix the issue... from info on this board.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Although I'm one of the speed demons (takes me about 30-35 minutes start to finish), I'll also be the first to say..... it doesn't matter. You're spending time with your bike, lovingly cleaning and inspecting each detail, putting it back with close and careful attention to correct and proper result.

There ain't no shame and no problem with that. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I am sure you took a lot of care while doing this, which a dealer won't take!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just called the local dealer. :eek:4: They charge by the hour and I was told at least 2 hours @90/hr. so minimum $180 + parts. They also charge $100 for an oil change, filter and oil included. I think synthetic is extra.

I'm thinking you're doing okay. If I can get it done in 4 hours the first time I'll be a happy camper. If it takes me 4 hours the 5th time I'll still be happy because that means I've been out riding and putting the smiles on. :biker:

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
I can get my '02 torn down to the filter and filter out in about a half hour with no rush and taking care to place the small parts in orderly fish tackle trays. But, then I get diverted into cleaning and checking wiring and fuel lines and coolant connections, and beer drinking and day dreaming -- so two or maybe even three hours will pass before I get to wash my hands. Last time or two I even remembered to reconnect the radio antenna.

prs

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I did an air filter change on my 09 today and it took 4 hours. No matter how I try to speed things up I always get caught with little things that seem to take an inordinate amount of time like getting the air ducts in place or alignment issues. Coupled with the cleaning that I do since I have the seat and shelter off, I seem stuck at 4 hours and if I were a shop charging $70 bucks and hour I would have to charge $280 which wouldn't make for many return customers. Some guys on here claim 1 hour and I think that is amazing. Well, at least it started and ran fine with no lost parts, screws or redo's.
Ya had me scratching my head till you got to the Cleaning part,,,:eek: I don't clean the out side but twice a year,, so that scared me.... Hit it with an air hose and move on,,, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Do clean the windshield every day, but that doesn't count,, ;)

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I changed mine in about 3 hours. Hoping to get it done alittle quicker next time but who cares? Pick a rainy day and do it. I was not happy to find a broken fitting on the cover over the filter. Honda shop broke it and jerry rigged it with a washer. I did the same since I did not want to invest in a new cover. It was the cover that holds the ECU that bolts down on each of the 4 corners to the frame. After seeing the broken pieced I was convinced to do all the maintenance within my skill range from now on.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm pretty sure I hold the record for air filter change. Six weeks. Started in one year, finished in another.

Once the Christmas "ordeal" with family is over, I jack up the trike, roll the toolbox up next to it, get my favorite upholstered chair, the remote for the big screen, check the refrigerator for refreshments, then I start.

Then wing friends start dropping by. The women go in the house, the guys stay in the garage. When we finally get a 4 some, out comes the card table. Maybe it's Eucre, maybe poker. Might last until midnight. Who's counting?

When the wife sticks her head in the door and asks "Are you done yet?", I just tell her "I'm working on it."

I can't understand why my wife wants to go to Mexico for the winter. It's 72 degrees where I'm at all winter long.

BTW, Has anyone figured out how "intact" butterfly's get in the front speaker grilles?

·
Registered
180 Posts
too late now, but if you coat the inside of the air ducts that go to your filter with a light coat of axle grease, your filter will last longer. It's amazing how much dust the grease will catch as it trys to make it to your filter.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Good for you, Chuck. I haven't done mine since you helped me do it the first time, but I've only added 27K miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts