GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never heard of this so maybe someone can chime in. Could be important to those stopping without putting their feet down.

A few days ago I read in a local paper about a lady who received a ticket from a small town LEO for not stopping for "a full 3 seconds" at the stop sign.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is this something that is enforceable? It seems odd to me but I haven't called the town PD to find out what code was violated.

I wonder who comes up with this stuff.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
"Full and complete stop" is the terminology I've always heard.

I've always been told (and really try) to put my foot down at all stop signs. More than once it's saved my bacon by keeping me from pulling out into an oncoming vehicle.

In a cage, when the vehicle rocked back, I knew I had come to a full and complete stop.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have never heard of this so maybe someone can chime in. Could be important to those stopping without putting their feet down.

A few days ago I read in a local paper about a lady who received a ticket from a small town LEO for not stopping for "a full 3 seconds" at the stop sign.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is this something that is enforceable? It seems odd to me but I haven't called the town PD to find out what code was violated.

I wonder who comes up with this stuff.
The town that need/wants your money!!! :eek:4: :22yikes: :eek:4:

I've always heard of a complete stop, and I don't remember a time limit being set when I took my drivers test either??? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Times are tough, and everyone is looking for ways to increase income. Including the local Police Department!:22yikes:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Sounds like an urban legend to me. Seems like everybody knows somebody who knows somebody who was "hassled by the man" for no reason.

Reporters are like lawyers; they don't do anything, they just talk about what other people do. (And controversy sells).

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Total BS. Full and complete stop. Three seconds is a long time, ONE MISSISSIPPI, TWO MISSISSIPPI, THREE MISSISSIPPI

Gee-Whiz, the folks behind you will have fits if you do that!

prs

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Never heard of that one. :shrug:

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm one of those reportedly worthless lawyers. Never heard of a three second rule.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't find a law stating such but after doing a google search it doesn't seem that rare. I just thought it might have been some dumbchit, podunk issuing such a citation. Heck, in many cities they will run you over if you stop like that.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
A friend of mine got a ticket for not putting "both" feet down at a stop sign in Sturgis

·
Registered
876 Posts
I just read the vehicle code for California and it states the vehicle must come to a complete stop. I would assume that means the tires are no longer rotating. There was'nt any time limit mentioned.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
. . . In a cage, when the vehicle rocked back, I knew I had come to a full and complete stop.
Same with a bike, I would say. My interpretation has always been that if your wheels come to a full rotation stop (rocks back), that is complete enough for the "law". But this post does generate some questions about what really is the correct interpretation of "complete stop". I've always wondered if it was left up to the LEO, or is it in written code somewhere, and even if it is in written code - could it be differently defined for different municipalities -- so you could be correct in one town but get a ticket in the next?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
total BS.stop means stop!
It does not mean a Timed stop.
I'd of told that jackwagon to prove it with a vehicle code,or sat there until his supervisor showed up to school him on what "Stop" means in the dictionary!

Out here in CA it means Stop all forward motion-there isn't a time limit!.

·
Administrator
3,581 Posts
I hope MD11Pilot sees this. I was chiding him about the antics of the Round Rock police recently, and Dan told me that his town's police have a deserved reputation for revenue enhancement. He said that a couple of years ago they were even giving out tickets to a lot of people for failing to stop for a full two seconds. He said that caused enough of a stir that it got pulled pretty quickly.

So yes, I can believe that someone is trying to enforce a 3-second stop rule.

Glen

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
155 Posts
A stop is a stop!

That rumor was circulating out here in Calif among the different riding groups so one of our riders who is a LEO researched it for us and basically reported that there is no time limit. the law only state a full and complete stop.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Many years ago here in California, a CHP officer pulled me over for a rolling stop. He only gave me a warning, but said they wanted to see both feet on the ground before I moved again.

Joe in Modesto

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Many years ago here in California, a CHP officer pulled me over for a rolling stop. He only gave me a warning, but said they wanted to see both feet on the ground before I moved again. Joe in Modesto
I can't wait to see what "Wheels" has to say about this!!

:)

Dennis

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I say the gal is telling a little fib. Most likely got tapped for a rolling stop and trying to make the officer look bad, which is usually the case as in, "The only thing I did wrong was get caught":lol:
I did get stopped once for "not putting my foot down". Smiled and asked the officer which uniform traffic code that violated. I was only aware that stop means stop. Was told to move on and be careful.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts