GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
duct tape

wow,,at first i thought they were duct taping it back together..1st picture..

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Holy Crap, do those nose gears drop those wheels that fast and that hard?? Great photos
They're not supposed to....

I gotta give those pilots credit, a "wheels up" landing is extremely hazardous. To be able to walk away from it is some good flying. I'll bet his nose gear failed and that's why he had to land like that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the 2 pilots were doing to much talking and forgot to put the landing gear down.The plane is almost rebuilt.The 2 pilots are now civilians or maybe airman 1st class

John

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
My brother is a msgt down at dyess.. have to ask him about that.. i would have thought a new hi-tech plane like that would a have a warning horn or something when you try to land wheels-up... which would make you wonder about that "official explanation"..

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The only thing I ever flew in the Air Force was a desk, but... I don't think the nose gear and rear gear are lowered seperately... that would be a pretty stupid design. So if the rear gear came down and the front didn't, then that sounds like a mechanical problem with the aircraft.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You know, no matter how many degrees, and how much training the pilots have, they still land with the wheels up. The Navy has a RSW (Runway Safety Watch) shack at each end of a runway and whoever the Chief is unhappy with each morning gets to spend the day out there reminding the pilots to put the wheels down. He (the RSW guy or gal) has a radio and a flare gun to remind the overeducated dolts in the cockpit to put the wheels down. You would be surprised how often you see flares arcing gracefully through the air.

Lets keep in mind most aircraft "incidents" are caused by cockpit error, much as the drivers deny it. We even had one take off from NAS Cecil Field in an A7 Corsair II with his wings folded (known forever after as Lt Shortwings). I will admit that is one crash that can't be accomplished by Air Force types, since they don't have any planes with folding wings.

Ride long and safe..and don't forget to put your feet down when coming to a stop on your nice shiny Wing.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
There are those who have and there are those who will !! :lol:

Flew commercially for 37 years, but of course it was as a crop duster pilot and we had a fixed gear :lol: Landed many times off airport with broken engines, broken props etc, but never with a gear up !!

Those were great pictures !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Pilot is probably one of those cage drivers that never see you on your bike, 'cause he's talking on his cell phone to his girly friend. :lol:

BTW....how many riders have stated that they jump off their bikes and forget to drop the kickstand? Or, forget to put their feet down at stop signs? (Not me...yet :wink: )

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a similar thing happen when I forgot to put my kickstand down.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
North Florida said:
I will admit that is one crash that can't be accomplished by Air Force types, since they don't have any planes with folding wings.
You never heard of the F-111? I think they are just about retired now though.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Sorry Ralph, but he said folding not swinging. The crashed B-1 has a swing wing design. The F-111 has been retired for a few years now. Still, it was a great plane just out classed by the B-1, B-2 and F-117(which is almost out the door as well).

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Only $7.9M to fix? Must be they only need to touch up the paint, at that low price.

North Florida said:
We even had one take off from NAS Cecil Field in an A7 Corsair II with his wings folded (known forever after as Lt Shortwings). I will admit that is one crash that can't be accomplished by Air Force types, since they don't have any planes with folding wings.
USAF can do anything the Navy types do, LOL. The A-7D was the USAF varient WITH folding wings (and a tailhook!). The USAF also had the F-4 WITH folding wings (and a tailhook!). If it flew in both services, it had folding wings (and a tailhook!). So if the USAF wants to fly with folded wings like the Navy, they have the means to do it.

We had an A-7D (tail #71-1056) that bellied in to Davis-Monthan AFB back in the 70's. Pilot forgot to put his gear down. DMAFB also has a guy (a pilot) in the shack near the approach end to the runway to ensure the planes are properly configuered to land. The shack guy went to lunch early that day and he is the one that got burned for the belly landing, not the pilot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts