GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,
Well, we've owned our new-to-us '18 Tour DCT Airbag now for about 2 weeks. I love this bike more and more each time I look at it and ride it. So, one of the first things I needed for my comfort while riding are a set of cruiser or freeway pegs.(They're labeled differently by different riders) I asked on here as to which brand/model might be of preference for the '18n and up Wings. It seems the Goldstrike set was pretty popular. Soooooo, I ordered up a set and received them yesterday. Well, the packaging was great. Everything was secure and for the most part double wrapped with plastic and a layer of foam.

But, the very first part I unwrapped had/has a couple of nicks in it. It's one of the angled arms. It's not noticeable from farther away but, when you unwrap somethign and notice right off the bat, my very first thought was this is a return unit and had been re-packaged. I don't have pics of those markss but, I'll get some for your judgement. The second, and to me, much worse problem was the teeth of one of the splined connectors. I have a pic or two of those for you to see. These are Cast pieces, not machined.

So, they cast the teeth into all the adjustable parts. Upon opening more of the components, it seems ALL the MALE parts (there are a form of male and female sections, sort-a) had almost FLAT teeth. The female sections seemed to be considerably better in casting. But the males, THEY SUCK! I'd opened all of the pieces to this Goldstrike kit to inspect each and every part and also to check the part count to match the list of components. They were/are all there.

I came very close to re-packaging it all up and send it back. But, I'd bet just about everything I own, that if I were to get another set, the parts in question would be in the EXACT SAME condition, almost FLAT TEETH. Now, I mated them up to their female counterparts and while they would SORT-A lock, it was very, very easy to rotate them and skip over the teeth due to the poor mate-up. I know and realize that there will be bolts to tighten and secure the teeth/adjustment but, one also has to realize the amount of strain that your legs and feet place on those rotateable/adjustable, splined components. Not to mention the wind/turbulance and pot holes which exhibit jerky movements.

So, I thought well, I'd really like to get some freeway pegs on and I have these in my hands so, lets see what can be done. I took all the male parts out to the shop and found a small triangular file. I proceeded to carefully file a more precise groove in between the peaks of each tooth. It took me about 10 minutes to clean up the teeth in each component. But, in the end, the mate up was SEREIOUSLY improved. I would place the male to female and even without a bolt to secure the mate-up, It was tough to try and spin the splined sections. So, that meant the bolt-secured components would be considerably stronger and way more resistant to mishaps of teeth sliding.

Now, is all this being a bit picky? Well, possibly. But, when you pay over $350 for what SHOULD be quality components, and get what I got, it's a bit of a let-down. It's highly possible that most of you that have purchased these Goldstrike freeway pegs:

Amazon.com: Goldstrike 3-Way Adjustable Highway Peg Mounts with Twin Rail Footrest (pair) for Gold Wing : Ciro: Automotive

have never had any issues with the teeth in the splines slipping and or rotating out of adjustment. I probably wouldn't have either. But, to be on the safe side, I did what I did to satisfy myself. I will go ahead and mount all of this system today and check out how I like it. The paperwork/instructions that come with them state that they really care about quality control of all their products. Well, someone needs fire their quality control people. Ok, enough ranting. I'll go to work now.
Scott

Attachments

Registered
I had a similar situation with my set, one of the adapters was missing from my set. Mine were ordered from Denis Kirk. I called them, they immediately sent a replacement set. Mine were black and I also had to file out the groves because the surface with the splines should have been covered before powder coating but was not. I do llke then though.

Registered
I also bought a set of these and installed them on my Wing. I did not notice the spline issue (although I am sure it was there), the problem I had was with the U shaped adapter you use to attach the peg to the arms. The hole was not big enough for the short metal stem to fit through. I had to use my drimmel to bore out the hole a little bit so the stem could slide all the way through. Basically the thickness of the black paint. Otherwise, I am happy with them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those appear to be cast parts, hence the rough appearance. The coarseness likely helps them stay in place. If they were machined they'd likely cost 3 times as much.
I found that to be the opposite. When fitted together as I received them, the splines did not have enough definition to them and would not hold even with slight pressure if I tried to rotate one against the other. But, after I filed the splines to be more precise, the fit of the male/female splines was/is a far better mate up and holds considerably better spine agains spline even with quite a bit of twist trying to make them spin or, loose adjustment.

I had a similar situation with my set, one of the adapters was missing from my set. Mine were ordered from Denis Kirk. I called them, they immediately sent a replacement set. Mine were black and I also had to file out the groves because the surface with the splines should have been covered before powder coating but was not. I do llke then though.
I'm glad that Dennis Kirk was prompt and assisted with your issue on these.

To all,
Yes, these are cast splines and not machined. Yes, if they were to be machined, then this $350 set would more than likely be $450 or $500 due to the added labor to manufacture them. The rest of the items and components are of pretty darn good quality. The fit and finish of everything BUT the splines in question, is really good. It took me about 15 minutes per side to install them and I'll be taking the big girl out for a test ride later today. I do really like how well they integrated with all the close-up mating parts, i.e. the head, valve cover, and more. I have them adjusted as far forward as possible and tilted as far forward as possible. If I tried one more notch, they'd be touching the plastic covers over the crash bars.
Scott

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Hood Motor vehicle

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Registered
I agree. I don't buy anything from them anymore. My highway pegs from Goldstrike came the same way. They look like they had been put in a vise and were badly scratched.
I called them and they sent me replacement parts, but the replacements were polished down so much, the chrome was almost gone and you could see the buffing lines in the dull finish.
What kind of junk is this?
I then had to decide which ones were the best ones to keep, and which ones do I send back. I decided to take the dull unfinished ones because I was hoping being low on the bike they would not be seen and would be offset by being dirty. The scratched ones could start to rust down the road.
Then I could not get them installed correctly and could not get anyone to call me back regarding how to install them.
I have been on this forum before sharing pictures and everyone says they are installed correct, but on one side they hit the side of the engine when the other side has 1/2" of space. Something is wrong with this stuff.
I have not bought anything since from them. This is just bad quality and bad customer service.

Registered
I've had great luck with Goldstrike products........excellent customer service also.
They are just across the river in Wisconsin from me.

Purchased a lot of accessories from them and a couple of minor issues were taken care of right away with a simple call.
Good quality IMHO.

Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
China or Egypt made, my set was perfect fit from first step to final. Till today, I have zero issues with them. So comfortable and look amazing after almost 3 seasons. If fact, I stood up on them briefly, by mistake (DA me) and they did not even blink out of alignment. Good company and products. They have good customer service.

Premium Member
If the quality is not to your standard. Return it
I have some Goldstrike products(not this one)
I like the RIVCO highway pegs

Reactions: Dougbug

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well boys and girls,
OP here. I did get a chance to try them out. And they work OUTSTANDING! In the preliminary thoughts and pics of the ones online and others bikes, I thought they might not have enough adjustment to allow for my legs to at least stretch out some to get them away from the standard foot pegs. But, upon doing a test ride, I found they are definitely far enough forward and out enough to allow for my legs to ride in a pretty restful position. I have around a 34" inseam so, my legs and feet are well placed for some decent extended riding time.

Would I order these again, yeah I would. The less than perfect parts I filed and improved, are in and working just fine.
Scott

Registered
2021 GL1800B
After recommending them I'm glad they worked out for you. I never saw the inner workings. Ciro / Goldstrike installed mine at Bike Week in Daytona.

Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
But, to be on the safe side, I did what I did to satisfy myself.
Half of what I do to my Wing is for that reason. Maybe something isn't absolutely necessary (my wife says "overkill") on half of what I do but if it makes me feel better then I do it.

Where have you been? Don't you know almost everything is made in CHI-NAH ?
I visualized him saying that and it made me smile 馃榿

1 - 20 of 23 Posts