GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a reclaimed salvage but has extras, larger tank, cams, exhaust; claims to have 65 hp. Price could be about $3K
This is a male co-worker by the way.

I've given him my totally unbiased and completely benevolent-to-HD opinion....

Anybody have advice for this fella?

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Just tell him that a woman you know just bought a VTX and would not be caught dead on an HD Sportster! LOL!

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
A Sportster is fun bike for around town or short trips... but for $3k ..its not a bad buy.. depending on the condition

cosmic

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
To each his own !!! Let him learn on his own !!!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I know 5 guys who have all purchased 883's...because they wanted a HD and that is all they could afford.

None kept them more than 1 year.

They don't handle well, are very uncomfortable and have a very small gas tank.

It is a bad buy.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Tell him it's not a hog, it's just a piglet.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would be amazed if you can get 65 horses out of an 883. You can't even get that out of the 1200 without doing some major upgrades. In fact, you can't get that from a stock twincam 88 w/o going to at least stage 1 upgrade.

If he wants a Harley, I would recommend stepping up to the Evo or Twincam. If he likes a smaller scoot, a low rider is a good choice, and the 80 cubic or 88 cubic will give him so much more bike than an 883.

I had an 883, put 900 miles on it, and traded for a WideGlide. If money is a factor, he should be able to find an Evo FXR type bike that would be better than the 883.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
A Sportster is a fun bike. If he wants it, buy it. Best handling bike HD has next to the Rod. Almost 200 miles on a tank of fuel. If it's a '04 or newer it will be a rubber mounted engine.

64HP is easy to get out of a Sportster. My last 1200C dynoed at 67hp with just carb, exhaust, and a change in timing. No head work or cams! :wink:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's a smart guy and I've basically said to him everything you'all have said.
The bike is from a family member who is a professional in the auto industry.
It's an '06 by the way.

Tony ---- the "S&W Triker" that posted is a gal...

Keep the advice coming; it's good to hear opinions. I told him to get it if it will make him happy.
One problem, he plans to tow it to the Atlanta area from Broward County, FL. Maybe S&W can ride up here, pick him up, haul him down there (he'll ride bitch behind her), and then he can ride it home...

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red said:
My last 1200C dynoed at 67hp with just carb, exhaust, and a change in timing. No head work or cams! :wink:
It's an 883.
Did you ever watch those things race at Daytona? It's hysterical.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Red said:
A Sportster is a fun bike. If he wants it, buy it. Best handling bike HD has next to the Rod. Almost 200 miles on a tank of fuel. If it's a '04 or newer it will be a rubber mounted engine.

64HP is easy to get out of a Sportster. My last 1200C dynoed at 67hp with just carb, exhaust, and a change in timing. No head work or cams! :wink:
Red, as well as you know Harley's, I won't say you are wrong. BUT, you must admit, 65hp out of an 883 is not the norm. I guess if you threw on some ScreaminEagle cams, etc. it is doable. Of all the HD's I owned,or rode, I felt the Sportster was the worst handling. I always felt I was sitting on it, whereas w/ the dyna's, tourers and the VRod, I felt I was sitting down in it. JHO.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Red said:
My last 1200C dynoed at 67hp with just carb, exhaust, and a change in timing. No head work or cams! :wink:
It's an 883.
Did you ever watch those things race at Daytona? It's hysterical.
They are the same as the 1200's except the cams, heads and pistons. You can do a 1200 kit in a 883 cheap! If they are saying that one is 65hp, I imagine that is what they have done.

Never watched them live, but have seen many of the dirt track races on the tube. The 883 is a fun bike.

I rode my '59 900cc Sportster from Ohio to El Paso. Then to Ft Myers Beach back to Dayton, Ohio when I discharged from the Army in '73. I was 22 years old. Buns of steel and not much between the ears. :oops: I had a blast with my duffel bag strapped across the seat. Wish I had the intestinal fortitude (and back) to do it now at age 55. LOL...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
It's a reclaimed salvage but has extras, larger tank, cams, exhaust; claims to have 65 hp. Price could be about $3K

Sure do. It his money, let him spend it the way he wants to. What is wrong with a guy owning a 883 Harley anyway?

It for sure is not what I would want but that is just my feelings. The dude may really like it.

JMHO. Ross

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Well I guess I'm not the norm...I like the Snortsters :lol: They're a fun bike as a 2nd bike.

They can be made to handle great, too many racers out there not to believe they can...

06 should be rubber mounted and have the newer tank, 3000.00 not bad..

I would take one to complement my CSC trike....gotta have the forward controls though...or at least highway pegs..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
The bike is from a family member who is a professional in the auto industry.
Meaning what?

Stu

·
Registered
152 Posts
A buddy of mine bought one in March. It is his first bike. He has put over 5000 miles on it since then. Just day trips nothing long. It is his first bike. He'll get a bigger one some day but he has fun on it. I thought it was quick and really fun to ride around on. He has added a windshield and sissy bar. Sharp bike.

·
Registered
812 Posts
sportys

Isn't human evolution wonderful. When I started riding in the late '60's a Harley Sportster was the ideal ride for a recently discharged Paratrooper or a recently released felon. Now it's considered appropriate for a middle aged woman to learn on. 2007 is the 50th Anniversary model for the Sportster and I've been giving serious thought to buying one. The new EFI is supposed to give them some extra pop, but 65 ponies sounds high. So what, they are a kick to ride and with the rubber mounted engine actually pretty comfortable. I'd love to have the orange 1200 special model, but for $2,500 less I imagine I'll go with the basic black 883. If you are in your 50's and the Harley Sportster doesn't do something for you, you were probably a car guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Will make a great girls bike when he sells it after the first year. How do I know, that is all I could find that would buy mine. Went to a Vmax after that and never looked back. pun intended. Finally sold the Vmax and bought a 04 Wing. :lol:
==================
Arn Butt Bill said:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stu_O said:
[quote="Arn Butt Bill":v0nofsra]The bike is from a family member who is a professional in the auto industry.
Meaning what?
Stu[/quote:v0nofsra]His uncle has a dealer license and makes a buck here and there on flipping vehicles; his bread and butter is in automotive computers though.
Not sure how much $$ Unc. has tied up in it; remember that it's a salvage.

KYB said:
I like the Snortsters Laughing They're a fun bike as a 2nd bike.
Kinda how I feel about it; couldn't be my only bike.

Red said:
Never watched them live, but have seen many of the dirt track races on the tube. The 883 is a fun bike.
Dirt's different than the big street track at Daytona. They run the 883's after the 600cc rice rockets; it's like a stampede of bison after listening to a swarm of killer bees.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
If there was ever a "Girlie Bike" it would have to be the Wing. The Wing is nothing but a two wheeled car! :(

If you think the Sportster is a "Girlie Bike", do a 600 mile day then tell me more about it being a girls bike! LMAO....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts