GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 with a relay setup that will delay my HID headlights coming on until I start the engine (not EC’s). Mine will keep the headlights on after the engine gets shut off with kill/side stand switch (EC’s does not). I do not know how long I had a problem, because I would not always notice the lights going out when the engine shuts off. But then, it was not always doing that keeping the headlights on until I turn the key off/acc. What I really noticed as a problem was no High beams. I had to spend some time under the seat looking for another issue and started tackling the headlight issue. The point is, I totally forgot about a common problem and started on testing relays, fuses, wire voltage and/or continuity where it should be and when. I found that the voltage that triggers the headlight low relay was not getting power. That at least explains the headlights going out with the engine via my HID delay. The running engine was what was giving me headlights consistently. It got to the point where I was not sure what to look at next and decided that maybe it was time for diner. A few minutes not thinking about the testing results and BING! “Starter button”! I have had that problem before on a prior GL1800 (no HID’s on it & OEM funtion). Because I actually had headlights, the starter button problem was masked. I went back out to test the theory and it held true. I temporarily bypassed the “running engine” part of my headlight relay so they worked OEM style and wiggling the starter button would make the headlights go on and off. The “no high beams” issue was directly tied to the button problem thinking the headlights were not to be on at all including high beams.
Now that I found the problem, a bunch of contact cleaner shot inside the starter button and no more problem.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts