GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The actual hood is made from a plastic folder cut to shape. The red color closely matches my bike color.

I roughed up the areas, on the bottom, where I was going to put a glob of JB Weld to hold the hooks. Note the JB Weld globs and the hooks from the budgie cord, on both sides of the bottom. The hooks, made from the bungle cord hooks. Which were removed and then cut after the first coil and then the coil was flattened to be inserted into the JB Weld.

I then removed both the clips from the bungee cord. By using pliers to unroll the spiral on the hooks. Left one loop on the hook and cut off the excess wire loop. The loops at the end of the cord are used to clip on to the, hooks located under the GPS. Used a glob of JB Weld on the top but would just punch holes as seen on the side, if I do it again. I hole punched the side with a paper punch with the holes about 3/8" a part. Then threaded the cord through them. This to keep the cord located on the shade.

This shade works well for me and since I had JB Weld and the bungee cords on hand for other uses, it was a cheap GPS shade.

Follow the direction on using the JB Weld and be sure and roughen up the glue surfaces for the JB Weld.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks pink on the thread but camera distorted the color. It is actually red.
:biker:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Nice solution to a 'glaring' problem.

There is also a film that you can apply over the screen that is supposed to also fix the glare problem. It's about $6 and available on Amazon.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice simple fix cmore...... hope it doesn't fade out too fast from the sun beating down on it.
You never know about colored plastics until you've exposed them to the Sun for a while.
Be easy enough to make up a black one if that one becomes embarrassingly
PINK!:wrong:
That anti-glare stuff works for the reflections daveo....but I find the sun shade offers an additional benefit....
I think the display looks brighter when it's in the shadow of the sun shade.

I have the built in Honda GPS and installed a similar sun shade that makes the
display look brighter to me. (Not to mention it keeps the GPS light from reflecting off the windshield at night. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a hard time viewing the screen with my sun glasses on so not sure if I could read it at with additional film.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yes, I only saw the film and others advertised for $12 but I have no experience with it. so far, I use my left hand to shield the display when I'm trying to look at something. Your solution certainly solves the problem and the price is right.:thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sunglasses

I have a hard time viewing the screen with my sun glasses on so not sure if I could read it at with additional film.

Are they polarized? That could explain your issue.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I think they are. They are fairly cheap clip ons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts