GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'll be clear. i don't like noisey Harleys with morons riding them so sorry up front. I call them piles. So today I'm riding home from work and these two piles are in front of me, of course reving their wonderful crap sound engines at all stops. Some SUV changes lanes and cuts off the piles, so I know we're into trouble by these goofballs. The junk go around the SUV and all the way flipping off the poor driver that made this big error. So now the piles pile up both lanes at 30mph for several miles to "punish" this SUV. Now we get to where I'm turning off and I precede to pass these 2 pieces of sheet and they pull right in my lane and I do evasive measure to not collide. Now they are all pissed at a SUV and do the exact same thing. I only wish I was driving my Ford F350 and would have let them hit me and sqwished them like the roaches they are. Sorry, but no excuse for this type riding macho dogs.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Don't know who the idiot is, but you have a bad attitude towards Harley riders! i happen to ride one! actually nice bikes and there are good people on them. sorry for your problem!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Ron.if you think you had a problem with as you call them "Piles".Just wait a bit and others here will Pile it on you for you're not so friendly attitude towards other riders out there.:22yikes:

As a wise woman once said "You made your bed-you lie in it" :eek:4:

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
:agree: Yep, Fluke, they should have been squashed like bugs! :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
This is going to be a good thread. :nojoke:

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are good and bad on any vehical I suppose. These macho muttheads though! I see it 10x more on Harley. These guys are 45 years old or better and never ridden 100 miles on a motorcycle, but need this I don't know what it is, but hey have the Harley shirt from Columbia bought on Ebay or whatever and ride around farting their crap to the public. So get the Harley with no prior skills. Immediately do the muffler removal and learn all the skills necessary and that is revving at all stops so we can all hear their sheet. Now that is the American way, drive crap with no skills, punish anyone that makes a purely innocent traffic move that don't see them. Heck, them pipes make people hear you, don't they. I hear them. Doesn't change the general public that wouldn't hear a siren at 120db. Roaches need squished and they are no better than that to me.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think!

Sent from my Ipood using both thumbs!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Having a bad day Ron? Jeez, lighten up. Not all Harley riders are "piles" as you refer to them. I wonder what they would think of you if they were to read you post? Not a great example to set, eh, what?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Perhaps your day was still better than mine. I have to ride on a USAF base to get to work. I wrote the following e-mail to my contacts over at the Safety Office and Security Forces (the local police force). Both are Green Knights (Google it please) and I'm hoping this will be part of the solution. I'm just hoping your commute is less "interesting" than mine. Ironically I joined this forum to clairify the rules of proper PPE to ride on DoD installation. :shrug:

"Well here it is Saturday morning, 27 August 2011. I just dropped my wife off at work. Ordinarily I would be enjoying a ride on a long scenic route back home. Unfortunately I am stuck here at my work computer typing this e-mail. For the record we came on base at 0940 hours on a very bright sunny day so my interpretation of AFI 91-207 (or DODI 6055.4, choose either instruction they finally have the same verbiage) is that the brightly colored portion of either instruction is what should be in force rather than the reflective verbiage.

Once again we were questioned at the gate about our choice of PPE (note; it was Mr. Smiles again) That is the second time in 8 days (also last Friday, 19 August 2011) either my wife or myself has been questioned. We were wearing our matching, red jackets. Please keep in mind that this is also on a white and chrome Goldwing that has a pair of headlights, a pair of fog lights, a pair of turn signal running lights and a pair of lit up floorboards (that is from the front and side) plus no less than four red taillights lit up from the rear. All these lights are on at any time the ignition is on.

I’m not exactly sure what the guard was upset about. He mentioned something about not being able to see my wife from the rear, possibly due to the smoked rear air shield. If given a direct order to remove it I will of course object and push the matter up the chain of command and through the IG process if necessary. I will also stick white reflector tape all over it if necessary. I won’t be able to see directly behind me as well but that is not what we are talking about; we are talking about being seen.

I feel that we are able to be seen orders of magnitude better than the sport bikes who only have one headlight from the front and one taillight from the rear and a rider wearing only a blue reflective belt strung about 4 linear inches between backpack loops in the middle of the afternoon while wearing ABUs (a uniform that is inherently designed to blend into any background).

Here is something to ponder. What if we were wearing our lime green reflective vests? Would we still be pulled over for not being able to be seen? Let’s face it, they are vests and do not extend to the arms. Here is something else to ponder; how many Goldwings, HD Ultras, BMW K100LT and BMW 1600GTL, Kawasaki Voyagers, Yamaha Ventures, Victory Visions and other bikes that have a trunk regularly ride on the installation? Does that mean that each and every one of them riders has to have brightly colored or reflective sleeves since in theory the trunk hides their back (and thus hides the rider’s brightly shinning reflective vest)?

Perhaps we need to bump up enforcement to everyone having a brightly colored reflective vest 24/7 while riding on the installation? I still don’t know how the enforcement of that would bump up against those who choose to ride a motorcycle that has a trunk?

I argue that probably no one cares more about motorcycle safety on this installation than myself, with the possible exception of MSgt Williams. That is why I have chosen a motorcycle that is white, has all the lighting it does (much of which is aftermarket items I have carefully chosen). That is why I ride a motorcycle that has an airbag and has anti lock brakes, and linked brakes, and crash bars. That is why my wife and I ride with ATGATT (all the gear, all the time), even when we ride off the installation into other states. In cooler weather we both wear heavily armored Joe Rocket jackets, (I’ll admit mine is black but my wife’s is white). I have many pictures of us riding across many state lines together all geared up so yes, we “walk the walk”. I will admit that next weekend when we (hopefully) ride the ring around Orlando we will be wearing the (Wing Safety issued and approved) mentorship long sleeve T-Shirts. There is a slight chance we will go down and get some extra abrasions as a result of our poor choice of PPE but there is a near 100% chance it will be a hot day; call it an ORM decision still in compliance with the official guidance (which we voluntarily follow). As I type this I wonder how many Patrick AFB employees, military and civilian alike, will also be riding next weekend without so much as a helmet during the last few hours of the 101 critical days? I can get some pictures for you of how many people ride all the way to the gate without PPE, or take off the PPE as soon as they leave.

Please understand that the reason I type this is for clarification. I’m not upset with anyone who this e-mail is going to. I hope that there is uniformity in enforcement of the rules (and of course I hope that there is also room for common sense in the enforcement of instructions…but that may be too much to ask for). Does the installation need to make a separate rule for motorcycles with trunks? Would the same regulation have to go into force for anyone who also has a windshield (that would really be a large percentage of the population)? Should the installation go to everyone having to have a brightly colored reflective vest? If so does the motorcycle bagger crowd still need brightly colored reflective cuffs on their sleeves? Please help clarify. I really don’t want to lodge an IG complaint but if 100% impartial interpretation and enforcement of AFI 91-207 or DODI 6055.4 does not occur than I will have to. I’m very sorry that I have to write this e-mail. It is time for a ride now.

Please consider forwarding this through the respective Wing Safety and Security Forces channels. Let’s try and get this fix at this level.

...But as Billy Mays would say...Wait there's more! I rode a very long ride home. I was southbound on I-95 when a gold Corvette two lanes to my left passed me. OK no big deal except I thought she would at least know that I was there. Lady Corvette than decides to go from the far left lane to the far right lane and cut me off (thank god for Anti Lock Brakes). After cutting me off she just waves. I decide to wave back rather than the one finger salute (gosh I'm a soft guy). I will admit that my speedometer may have been a little to the right of the 70 mph posted speed limit so it would have been a real colorful accident!

I hope your day was less "interesting" and that your commute is involves less problems. Good night.

Sunday Morning update:I just read my message again after a good night sleep and realize that in my effort to keep my story in chronological order it doesn't match the context of the thread until I get to my episode on the freeway but it was a good catharsis. Thank you for understanding. I will face the music of my e-mail tomorrow morning.

For the record many of my friends ride HD. If we could afford a second bike it might be a HD or Kawasaki Voyager. There is a diverse crowd of HD riders. Anywhere from the church going temperate crowd to all the Outlaw bikers. It is difficult to lump them all into one stereotype.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sounds like to me the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe you need to ride your F350 more and leave the wing at home.Yes i have a harley and some think i'm crap.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Roaches need squished and they are no better than that to me.
So.......Harley riders need to be killed. Is that what we should be reading in your post?

Way it sounds to me, you exacerbated the situation (read: needed to show THEM) by passing them, knowing full well you were going to be turning off shortly.

G

·
pipes

I know a whole lot of Harley riders that are courteous. Some even have pipes that don't blow your eardrums out! I think the loud pipes a DUMB & it's too bad there's not enough cops around to cite them all until they get them toned down some and keep it that way.

I see a heck of a lot more idiots in cars, around here, than on bikes. But I certainly don't assume that everyone with loud pipes, or on a HD, or both, is automatically a idiot or dummy.

It's pretty hard to distinguish between the motorcycle owners who don't ride much, unless you actually ride with them. Then, it obvious.

I have a similar, admittedly unfair, opinion of BMW car drivers, but I do see exceptions now & then of BMW car drivers that are courteous & actually drive like they really are subject to the rules of the road like the rest of us.

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK, I'll be clear. i don't like noisey Harleys with morons riding them so sorry up front. I call them piles. So today I'm riding home from work and these two piles are in front of me, of course reving their wonderful crap sound engines at all stops. Some SUV changes lanes and cuts off the piles, so I know we're into trouble by these goofballs. The junk go around the SUV and all the way flipping off the poor driver that made this big error. So now the piles pile up both lanes at 30mph for several miles to "punish" this SUV. Now we get to where I'm turning off and I precede to pass these 2 pieces of sheet and they pull right in my lane and I do evasive measure to not collide. Now they are all pissed at a SUV and do the exact same thing. I only wish I was driving my Ford F350 and would have let them hit me and sqwished them like the roaches they are. Sorry, but no excuse for this type riding macho dogs.
I'm glad fluke is a fluke on this board. He needs help - mental and spiritual. If I unloaded about sport bikers every time I was upset about their unsafe riding, I'd have major blood pressure problems. I ride with wingers, trikers and all other brand riders - even did a PGR ride with a couple sport bike riders. If I don't like the way they ride, I don't ride with them, I don't rant. I don't rant about the dumb cagers or even the idiots in F350's that think bigger is better. Harley riders are as good as any other group, and a few are just as bad.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well ya know.......just cause they ride bikes does not mean they are any better than the cager on the cell phone.

Just back off a bit, let the whole mess go, let the SUV and the yahoos on the bikes go. Watch behind you and slow a bit, let them go on down the road, as long as they are in front of you, it is all cool, never ever get even with them or around them.

Pissed off people on the road, trouble.

Do not let them get you caught up in it. If they want to act the fool, hey, let them.

They will turn off in a bit, problem solved.

That stuff never bothers me, I just avoid it and make sure I can see them. I want them in front of me........all of them SUV and yahoos.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well ya know.......just cause they ride bikes does not mean they are any better than the cager on the cell phone.

Just back off a bit, let the whole mess go, let the SUV and the yahoos on the bikes go. Watch behind you and slow a bit, let them go on down the road, as long as they are in front of you, it is all cool, never ever get even with them or around them.

Pissed off people on the road, trouble.

Do not let them get you caught up in it. If they want to act the fool, hey, let them.

They will turn off in a bit, problem solved.

That stuff never bothers me, I just avoid it and make sure I can see them. I want them in front of me........all of them SUV and yahoos.
Well said, especially the "I want them in front of me......". I would much rather have stupid out front where I can see it than coming up behind me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dude, why the hate? C'mon.

What's really eating at you? Look in the mirror and deal with it.

Life is too short to carry that burden.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
so if you were in your large pickup truck you would have done them bodily injury and possibly killed them?

Because they ride a Harley and are stupid?

Oh well....just waiting for the other idiots to chime in on how they would have taken out their gun and shot them

1 - 20 of 62 Posts