GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not for the Wing, but I've been doing some experimenting and found (IMHO) the coolest paint for Speedy!! It's a carefully executed rattlecan job using the Duplicolor "Metal Specks" paint in a deep dark blue.. Can't get a good photo because the flash makes the spackles flare and makes the color look much lighter than it actually is!! It glows now and it'll be AWESOME with a good clearcoat..

It's 4 coats layed over adhesion promoter and a black primer (Which gives a darker shade).. It's a laquer paint and it came out REALLY smooth and bright!!

Got a couple of questions for the pros or folks that have done thier own:

1) What can I clearcoat the tank with to protect it from fuel spills?? My suspicion is that I should turn most of these parts (at least the tank) over to a pro to clearcoat and finishing... What are the professional options that'll give a really deep look??

2) What kind of clearcoat for the rest of the parts that I could do myself?? Planning on using a tough acrylic.. Figured I'd experiment on a smaller parts for effect.. Any wisdom??

·
Registered
260 Posts
The biggest problems with spray can paints is that the paint is not of the same quality as professional automotive paints. Professional paints have the ability the dry much faster and harder, this is done by using hardners which is a two part process. Spray can paints will take at least 2-3 weeks to dry if lucky and will never reach the hardness of automotive refinish products. You might be able to put professional clearcoat products over your painted parts after they completely dry, but this will require color sanding and may change the look of your paint color. Plus, may cause other problems, I would give the painter a test painted part to try his clearcoat on and see what happens. I don't think there is a spray can clearcoat that can withstand gasoline staining.

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had some PPG DC3000 clear left over from my GL1200 restoration
and have used it to spray emblems and small parts and it worked great.
I would think it would cover your paint job just fine but check with a
PPG dealer or local auto painter to make sure it would cover without issues.
The DC3000 is perfect for small panel jobs, just make sure you get it right because it gets hard very fast and if you are going to buff
it must be done in the 4-6 hour window after spraying. Personally, I wouldn't buff at all. I made the mistake of letting it dry overnight and then tried every kind of product to buff it, (didn't work). I ended up wet sanding everything with 800 - 1000 grit paper and shooting 1 good wet glossy coat of DC3000 clear and then leave it alone and call it finished. It was a big learning curve to get my 4 stage system right, (PPG Yellow basecoat, House of Kolor Ice Gold pearl, Black pinstripes, DC3000 clear), but it was
fun and I can say I did it myself, (after a LOT of time and money).
Best wishes, Don Wittbrodt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts