GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my 2016 BMW RT1200 on a 2018 Goldwing (Non tour). The base model comes with a shorter windshield than the tour model does. Actually, I'm surprised at how good it is, but I still think I need something a little bigger when I go on long distance rides. I ordered an F4 20" tint. I was told that the 20" size is the same size as the stock shield on the Tour model, except it also has a flip at the top. For those of you that have this shield, how is the buffeting compared to the stock shield ?

And secondly, I see that the first scheduled service is at 4,000 miles. Does everyone wait to do their first service at the 4,000 mile mark, or have people been bringing it in at 1,000 +/- like we all have on previous bikes ?

Thanks and glad to be a part of this board and on a Wing !

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think between cleaner mfg processes and improved oil technology us 'old school' guys really struggle with current maintenance recommendations. Myself I made 3200 miles until I couldn't stand it anymore. Svc guy said it doesn't need it yet. I told him it might not but I did for piece of mind.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Panda... I do not have a new Wing ( I have an 06) so I can't help you with your specific question about the service but welcome to the board

I would love to hear your evaluation of your BMW and why you decided to switch to the new Wing over the highly-touted BMW R1200RT?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
I changed my oil near the 4000 mile mark the first time and then change the oil every 8000 miles like Honda says too. I know it makes you feel good changing the oil at the first 1000 miles or so and then every 3000 miles or so after that, but this is just a machine and the oil is designed to go 8000 miles and longer between changes... its just wasteful to change the oil before 8000 miles when the motorcycle is being ridden regularly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Schoeney,

I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on BMW RT vs the "New" Wing. But, before I begin, I should explain that I like to change bikes every two to two and a half years to try something different. My last few bikes have been (in order): Kawasaki C-14, Harley Davidson Electra Glide Standard, Harley Ultra Limited (Rushmore), Harley Road Glide Ultra (Rushmore), BMW RT 1200 and now a 2018 Goldwing. Before those, there was a smattering of Suzuki's, two other BMWs (earlier model RT and and LT), even a Honda ST1300.

Back to the question at hand:

The 2016 BMW RT1200 "Wethead" is an awesome bike. I had it for 2 and a half years and because of family / work obligations, was not able to ride it as much as I would have liked. In the 2 and a half years I had it, I managed only about 11,000 miles. The bike is light for as big a bike as it is. Plenty fast enough and handles the twisties with ease and grace. Plenty of ground clearance, but it does sit high, so shorter riders might find it challenging. For the record, I'm a touch taller than 5' 10" and I found the height to be a non issue.

Wind protection is good, although I swapped the stock shield with an aftermarket shield and the wind protection and lack of buffeting became outstanding. Weird thing about it is that even in heavy rain I wouldn't get wet. Not even my legs. I never figured that one out. It was weird. I mean I would be bone dry in steady rain.

Fast speeds on the highway were no problem. The bike would move around a bit because it's lighter, but not uncomfortably so. I was always confident on it no matter how fast. The thing you have to realize when riding a bike like this is that you have to be more engaged in the riding process. Even small inputs from the rider will effect the bike so you have to be more focused and "on" your game, so to speak. All of which I like. This bike is NOT a cruiser by any stretch. That is not how it was designed.

I'm a fan of boxer engines, but not everyone is. They do create vibrations in the grips, but at low frequency. And that is very different than high frequency vibrations. My Kawasaki C-14 was an inline 4 and produced high frequency vibrations in the grips. Basically, it was like holding a bag of bees. I will NEVER own an in line 4 again. I cannot tolerate high frequency vibrations. However, low frequency vibrations that you get with a boxer engine and Harley V twins don't bother me. But, on the BMW they are noticeable (less so on the Harleys) and something to consider before purchasing one. One other thing to note, this bike throws NO heat on your legs. It runs amazingly cool.

For me, the ergos on the RT were just about perfect. Plenty of room, perfect reach to the bars and the pegs. Never felt cramped even on very long trips.

Saddlebags on the RT are great and hold a full faced helmet with ease and the hard bags are removable. Suspension is top notch and electronically adjustable. As far as electronics go, it has everything the Tour Wing has and more. And most of the electronics are easier to use and more intuitive. Just my opinion, but I think most would agree.

So, if everything on the BMW is / was great, why would I switch ? As I mentioned, I like trying different bikes. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. I'm trying to be objective with the new Wing as it's easy to think everything is great because it's brand spankin' new.

Here are the things that I like so far (and some things I might not like as much):

The power delivery is awesome. I like power right from the start. I don't like to have to spool up the engine before it kicks in. I like it right off the line. The RT did this well, the Harleys did it well, the Kawasaki C-14, while amazingly fast on the top end, was a dog off the line. The new Wing is the best bike I've ever ridden on this point. Power is right there from the start. I really don't care about top end.

Wind management appears pretty good. Although, since mine is a non tour model, my windshield is a little on the smaller side, which is why I ordered the F4 20" shield. I'm hoping this makes highway running a little smoother.

The bike appears to be rock solid stable at high speeds. However, I still can throw it around on country roads. Maybe not quite as easily as the RT, but not bad at all for a bike as big and heavy as the Wing. And that's pretty impressive.

Heat from the engine seems reasonable and the rider's ergos seem just about right. I wouldn't mind if the seat was an inch or two back, for some extra room, but not bad. Love the fact there is NO vibration in the grips at any speed. I figure this is one of the major benefits of a 6 cylinder engine.

Stereo sounds better than the ones I've had on the Harleys and the BMWs, but not as easy or intuitive to use. But I'll give up some ease of use for better sound any day.

I'm on the fence on the suspension. So far I wouldn't say it is bad, but not nearly as good as the BMW. If I don't have any issues with it, I won't change it as I don't feel its so bad that it would warrant spending a bunch of money for an aftermarket set up. At this point, I think it will be fine for this bike's intended use.

I'm hoping the Wing will get better mileage out of a set of tires. Consider yourself lucky if you get 7 or 8 thousand on a set for the BMW. I could get 12,000 out of a set on the Harleys. And I HATE buying tires ! Which brings me to another point. BMWs are notoriously expensive to service. I don't do my own wrenching so that is a concern. It appears that the Honda should be more economical in this area. Already saving some money as the first service isn't until 4,000 miles. However, I think I may have a hard time waiting that long.

I think I hit most of the major points. My opinions will probably change the more I ride and learn about the Wing. We'll see. But, I will say that so far, I'm not regretting my decision. I'm heading out on a 1500 mile trip in May and that will be the real shakeout test to see how well I bond with this bike. Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic. And one last thing, I have the Pearl Stallion Brown with the blacked out engine and it sure is nice looking (better looking than the RT, IMHO).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hi Schoeney,

I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on BMW RT vs the "New" Wing. But, before I begin, I should explain that I like to change bikes every two to two and a half years to try something different. My last few bikes have been (in order): Kawasaki C-14, Harley Davidson Electra Glide Standard, Harley Ultra Limited (Rushmore), Harley Road Glide Ultra (Rushmore), BMW RT 1200 and now a 2018 Goldwing. Before those, there was a smattering of Suzuki's, two other BMWs (earlier model RT and and LT), even a Honda ST1300.

The 2016 BMW RT1200 "Wethead" is an awesome bike. I had it for 2 and a half years and because of family / work obligations, was not able to ride it as much as I would have liked. In the 2 and a half years I had it, I managed only about 11,000 miles. The bike is light for as big a bike as it is. Plenty fast enough and handles the twisties with ease and grace. Plenty of ground clearance, but it does sit high, so shorter riders might find it challenging. For the record, I'm a touch taller than 5' 10" and I found the height to be a non issue.

Wind protection is good, although I swapped the stock shield with an aftermarket shield and the wind protection and lack of buffeting became outstanding. Weird thing about it is that even in heavy rain I wouldn't get wet. Not even my legs. I never figured that one out. It was weird. I mean I would be bone dry in steady rain.

Fast speeds on the highway were no problem. The bike would move around a bit because it's lighter, but not uncomfortably so. I was always confident on it no matter how fast. The thing you have to realize when riding a bike like this is that you have to be more engaged in the riding process. Even small inputs from the rider will effect the bike so you have to be more focused and "on" your game, so to speak. All of which I like. This bike is NOT a cruiser by any stretch. That is not how it was designed.

I'm a fan of boxer engines, but not everyone is. They do create vibrations in the grips, but at low frequency. And that is very different than high frequency vibrations. My Kawasaki C-14 was an inline 4 and produced high frequency vibrations in the grips. Basically, it was like holding a bag of bees. I will NEVER own an in line 4 again. I cannot tolerate high frequency vibrations. However, low frequency vibrations that you get with a boxer engine and Harley V twins don't bother me. But, on the BMW they are noticeable (less so on the Harleys) and something to consider before purchasing one. One other thing to note, this bike throws NO heat on your legs. It runs amazingly cool.

For me, the ergos on the RT were just about perfect. Plenty of room, perfect reach to the bars and the pegs. Never felt cramped even on very long trips.

Saddlebags on the RT are great and hold a full faced helmet with ease and the hard bags are removable. Suspension is top notch and electronically adjustable. As far as electronics go, it has everything the Tour Wing has and more. And most of the electronics are easier to use and more intuitive. Just my opinion, but I think most would agree.

So, if everything on the BMW is / was great, why would I switch ? As I mentioned, I like trying different bikes. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. I'm trying to be objective with the new Wing as it's easy to think everything is great because it's brand spankin' new.

Here are the things that I like so far (and some things I might not like as much):

The power delivery is awesome. I like power right from the start. I don't like to have to spool up the engine before it kicks in. I like it right off the line. The RT did this well, the Harleys did it well, the Kawasaki C-14, while amazingly fast on the top end, was a dog off the line. The new Wing is the best bike I've ever ridden on this point. Power is right there from the start. I really don't care about top end.

Wind management appears pretty good. Although, since mine is a non tour model, my windshield is a little on the smaller side, which is why I ordered the F4 20" shield. I'm hoping this makes highway running a little smoother.

The bike appears to be rock solid stable at high speeds. However, I still can throw it around on country roads. Maybe not quite as easily as the RT, but not bad at all for a bike as big and heavy as the Wing. And that's pretty impressive.

Heat from the engine seems reasonable and the rider's ergos seem just about right. I wouldn't mind if the seat was an inch or two back, for some extra room, but not bad. Love the fact there is NO vibration in the grips at any speed. I figure this is one of the major benefits of a 6 cylinder engine.

Stereo sounds better than the ones I've had on the Harleys and the BMWs, but not as easy or intuitive to use. But I'll give up some ease of use for better sound any day.

I'm on the fence on the suspension. So far I wouldn't say it is bad, but not nearly as good as the BMW. If I don't have any issues with it, I won't change it as I don't feel its so bad that it would warrant spending a bunch of money for an aftermarket set up. At this point, I think it will be fine for this bike's intended use.

I'm hoping the Wing will get better mileage out of a set of tires. Consider yourself lucky if you get 7 or 8 thousand on a set for the BMW. I could get 12,000 out of a set on the Harleys. And I HATE buying tires ! Which brings me to another point. BMWs are notoriously expensive to service. I don't do my own wrenching so that is a concern. It appears that the Honda should be more economical in this area. Already saving some money as the first service isn't until 4,000 miles. However, I think I may have a hard time waiting that long.

I think I hit most of the major points. My opinions will probably change the more I ride and learn about the Wing. We'll see. But, I will say that so far, I'm not regretting my decision. I'm heading out on a 1500 mile trip in May and that will be the real shakeout test to see how well I bond with this bike. Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic. And one last thing, I have the Pearl Stallion Brown with the blacked out engine and it sure is nice looking (better looking than the RT, IMHO).
Panda, I also went from an R1200RT Wethead to the DCT. My opinions about the RT pretty much mirror yours. For a while I had both bikes. I found that I never went out on the RT anymore. The DCT was just so easy to ride, even around town.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I really should do is have two bikes. I'd love to have a lighter, flickable bike for country and around town riding, and one for longer rides where comfort and some sport touring capabilities are more important. Or maybe three bikes...

·
Registered
88 Posts
A great compare Panda I enjoyed reading. Thank you for taking the time. You really had me going when you were singing nothing but praises for your old steed...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Panda... I do not have a new Wing ( I have an 06) so I can't help you with your specific question about the service but welcome to the board

I would love to hear your evaluation of your BMW and why you decided to switch to the new Wing over the highly-touted BMW R1200RT?

I had a 2017 1200RT for around a year and a half with 16,000 miles on it, although I did not trade the RT for the Wing. I feel the Wing is far more stable. The RT seemed to wander a little which after 5-700 mile days, it got a little tiring. I am 6 ft 0 and I put risers on the bars as it was a little stretch to the bars when leaning back into my Utopia backrest. With risers on the RT, it felt similar to the stock Wing. The RT is definitely more nimble and easier to make quick moves at slow speeds over the Wing, but the Wing is pretty impressive for it size and weight. The top gear roll on of the RT will leave the Wing in the dust. The controls on the RT are about as good as a motorcycle can get, especially with all the features available on the RT. Ride wise, the Wing is smoother than the BMW, I feel the RT has a more sporty suspension. In the right situation, you could get a lot of heat coming from the radiators, although the wind would have to be just right to make that happen. I bought the RT in an attempt to get one bike to do everything,......again, as before, I have found myself needing at least two. For my riding style, the RT would be the better choice over the Wing for day rides that did not take you too far. After day number two on the road comes around, I'll take the Wing.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i think between cleaner mfg processes and improved oil technology us 'old school' guys really struggle with current maintenance recommendations. Myself i made 3200 miles until i couldn't stand it anymore. Svc guy said it doesn't need it yet. I told him it might not but i did for piece of mind.:rolleyes:

rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have same shield I installed on my DCT Tour, find wind blockage to be better than stock one was, does what it is advertised to do. I changed my own oil at 1.5K 1st time and now at 5K , use T6 as have done on 07 Wing that had 80K trouble free miles, Have done the clutch pak learn, and mostly enjoy the time riding . Have Aero Pegs since last year when I installed them, but am considering something that puts feet lower with a wider base like older style .

·
Registered
364 Posts
I ordered an F4 20" tint. I was told that the 20" size is the same size as the stock shield on the Tour model, except it also has a flip at the top. For those of you that have this shield, how is the buffeting compared to the stock shield ?
I have the Tour model, and replaced the windshield with the F4 20" tint and I love it. I went with the stock-width version so it's obviously a little narrower than the one you'll be getting, but buffeting on the helmet and shoulders is much nicer with the recurve on the F4.

With the stock windshield I found I'd have to raise it almost all the way up to achieve the same effect I can with the F4 only raising it maybe an inch or two.

Plus the tint looks really nice imo compared to a clear shield, and coupled with the ease of cleaning an F4 I think you're gonna love it. Especially coming from the already shorter non-Tour windshield.

I posted a review with some pics a while back if you're curious to see how it looks:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/436407-f4-custom-windshield-installed.html

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just did my first oil change at 4K miles this weekend, as per the manual and service book. Both filters and the oil itself looked clean, I've seen far worse during normal oil changes on my previous Harleys.

Yeah it felt odd not doing a 1K service on a bike like I've done for the past two decades, but the Goldwing really didn't seem to need one, so....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi Schoeney,

Thanks Panda.... I have not ridden the new Wing (mine is an 06), but I have ridden a 2017 BMW R 1200 RT and did own a 2005 Honda ST 1300.

Your description is pretty much what I expected and have experienced myself. Because of that your review of the new Wing has much integrity.

I am forming a really good opinion on the new Wing. My problem is my 06 only has 70,000 miles on it, not even broken in.

I will probably keep my 06 for two more seasons then buy a used 18, 19, or 20. That is unless I get the bug sooner... which has been known to happen.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Modern Hondas (Goldwing) do not require any 1000 mile service. Manual says 4K then every 8k.

Dr Neal "says change oil every 5K"

5K 10K 15K 20K 25 K etc...

Even this is overkill

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
<snip>

And secondly, I see that the first scheduled service is at 4,000 miles. Does everyone wait to do their first service at the 4,000 mile mark, or have people been bringing it in at 1,000 +/- like we all have on previous bikes ?

Thanks and glad to be a part of this board and on a Wing !
Congrats on your new Wing.

No, not "everyone" waits for the 4,000 mark. I'd like to think most do but you can't drag some out of the stone age. :laugh: All GL1800s had the 4,000 mile recommendation for first change so it's been standard for almost 20 years - it's not a new thing with the GL1833. Some people get piece (sp) of mind sticking with ancient maintenance schedules. I'd think we'd all get peace of mind knowing facts - like there's never been an oil-related failure on a GoldWing purchased in the last 20 years! That should make us all feel good! It's never "cheap insurance" flushing money and good oil down the drain - it's waste. Follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and you'll be golden. ;) :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts