GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for asking such simple questions, but I am thinking of getting a GPS, and would hate to assume they do something, that they do not.

If I am out somewhere, and get lost, can I simply turn it on, punch in my home address, and the unit would show me how to get home?

If I am wanting to go to a city, but not anywhere in particular in that city, can I just ask it to take me to that city in general, or do I need to know a street address?

Thanks
Mack

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
When you first set up your GPS, you will designate a "HOME" waypoint. This will allow you to simply hit find and select "home" and the GPS will route to that home waypoint.

Not to confuse you, but you can change your "home" to a hotel you're staying in so that you can travel around and hit the find/home and it will take you back to the hotel, not your resident back home. Make sense?
hope so. It's really simple, you get all these instructions with you GPS.

As for cities, again use the find button, you'll get a drop down menu that you will select from, easy stuff....

·
Registered
707 Posts
Routing Home from anywhere - Yes.
Routing to just a city without street - Yes.

At least for the Garmin units. Don't know about Lowrence.

Reiner

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
reinerka said:
...At least for the Garmin units. Don't know about Lowrence...
Yep, Lowrance has the same features (these are basic functions available on all auto-routing GPS units).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Jon has a key phrase there: auto-routing GPS. There are many small handhelds that aren't auto-routing. Some don't even have street level maps.

David M.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
can you save various homes....like in your driveway as #1, and not ever write over that coordinate? Then home 2 might be for like when you're out of town and want to set a "home" back to the hotel. Can you have more than one......or at that point are you just saving "places"?

Did that make sense?

I presme you can put in coordinates at anytime and say "take me there" and it will plot a course?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You can name any location, any name. These are called waypoints. I have named my home with a name different than "home". If I want to call home, "SHADETREE", I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts