GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Dark Siders!

Well I'm not riding as much as I'd like so far this season but I have put maybe 500 miles on the Kumho 195 RF so far. Will be riding from WI to NC next month, will probably be pulling a trailer and might be traveling with a co-rider, so that will give me much more experience.

My thoughts and questions so far if anyone would care to comment?:
  • Right off I noticed a much smoother ride at 32 psi, the bike feels much more planted going straight down the road, and I'm finally able to try higher shock preload settings for better handling without getting my teeth jarred on rough roads as was the case with the E3 at the Honda recommended 41 psi.
  • I'm still learning to improve my skills with the counter steer issue. I've noticed it's not as much an issue riding my line through a corner at a higher speed and a steeper lean angle as it is at a lower speeds with less angle. I'm thinking about trying a higher pressure, like upping it 2 psi to 34 and going from there. Do you think the lower corner speed counter steer would be better or worse at higher pressure (or lower pressure)? BTW I'm running 36 in the front 709.
  • Yesterday was my first ride with a co-rider. It was an impromptu thing and I was concerned with 32 psi but I did up the shock preload from 10 to 15. (I also know my 2010 new take off shock doesn't start loading until like around 5 and I haven't done the refill fix yet.) However, I was very surprised at how stable cornering was with a co-rider on board. Combined weight probably around 370 lbs, no luggage. I actually dragged my highway pegs a few times and they are mounted fairly high up for that reason. Maybe the shock preload was too low but the ride did not feel overly soft. Anyway I never felt comfortable or confident enough for that kind of cornering "aggessiveness" with a co-rider on the E3.
  • Looking at the bike on the side stand I've noticed the left side of the tire appears a might flattened so again I'm thinking higher pressure? And my buddy says in following behind me that the contact patch is nearly the full width of the tire in the corners and that leads me to think the sidewall is collapsing quite a bit. So again I'm thinking more air pressure but I sure don't want to lose too much of that nice plushy ride quality!
Trying to keep it brief, that's hard for me :lol:, so these are my most significant talking points for now.

Thanks for all the help out here, gotta track down some of those Dark Sider cookies when rail gets back :thumbup:!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
...Do you think the lower corner speed counter steer would be better or worse at higher pressure (or lower pressure)?...
Joe, I would think if you raise the pressure it may assist your counter steer issue. Just be aware that you are likely to experience the center wearing out prematurely.

From my experience, the Kumho RF at 32 psi will handle all I, and the wing can throw at it through the twisties. Based on that, I am not worried about the sidewall flex because I can't feel it. There have been other tires where I can feel flex and do not like it. So I say my Kumho sidewall isn't flexing. But who knows, maybe it is flexing and I just don't know.:shrug:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Everyone tells me I'm not normal so I'm not normal. I personally run different air pressure depending on where I'm riding. When I was running the Hankook I would run 38-40psi for slab riding, and 44psi for the twisties. Can't comment on the Kuhmo, because I've never run one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Joe
Thanks for the info and thoughts on your tire. If you run some twisties 2up and didn't feel what some have called Booty Bump as the sidewall flexes, then that tire is doing great.

As mentioned above, sidewall flex isn't a welcome feeling at all. As for improving the handling, sometimes .5 of a pound will give you what you want. :coffee1:
Happy DSing, Billy

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Joe, I too am a newbe with only 4500 smiles on my Kumho I run 32 - 33psi riding 2 up, and 34psi 2up and pulling the trailer. The tire handles flawlessly.:thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe, I would think if you raise the pressure it may assist your counter steer issue. Just be aware that you are likely to experience the center wearing out prematurely.

From my experience, the Kumho RF at 32 psi will handle all I, and the wing can throw at it through the twisties. Based on that, I am not worried about the sidewall flex because I can't feel it. There have been other tires where I can feel flex and do not like it. So I say my Kumho sidewall isn't flexing. But who knows, maybe it is flexing and I just don't know.:shrug:
Thanks, you affirmed my thinking that a bit more pressure may offset the slower speed cornering counter steer. I'm going to bump it up to 34 and give it a try to see if there's a noticeable difference and fine tune from there. I'm not overly concerned about the sidewall flex either because I am not experiencing any sort of ill handling. And I'm pretty confident that 30+ psi is at least an adequate and safe inflation.

Joe
Thanks for the info and thoughts on your tire. If you run some twisties 2up and didn't feel what some have called Booty Bump as the sidewall flexes, then that tire is doing great.

As mentioned above, sidewall flex isn't a welcome feeling at all. As for improving the handling, sometimes .5 of a pound will give you what you want. :coffee1:
Happy DSing, Billy
Thanks, nope no booty bump that you described. I have a digital tire pressure gauge that seems to work ok but it's pretty sensitive about getting a straight shot on the stem to achieve consistant readings. I know a good quality gauge is important when going for a .5 pressure adjustment. I'm going to shop for a better digital gauge. Any recommendations?

Also, rail just got back from his road trip and reported positive results running 32 psi in his G709 front tire. He reported great handling and a bit softer front tire ride. I've been running 36, I wouldn't think that 32 could be considered under-inflated.

It's not that I'm unhappy with either tire. Quite the opposite the bike is working better for me now than ever before. But like so many on this forum have advised, there's a bit of testing needed to get the particular ride and handling a person is comfortable with based on their riding style. I'm not sure I really have any kind of a definitive style, more like just the way I ride :lol:.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe, I too am a newbe with only 4500 smiles on my Kumho I run 32 - 33psi riding 2 up, and 34psi 2up and pulling the trailer. The tire handles flawlessly.:thumbup:
Thanks, very good to hear from you about this as I too figured upping it to 34 for 2 up and pulling my trailer. Do you have any pressure advice riding solo and pulling your trailer?

Mostly I'd like to know your experience riding solo with a trailer because that's just usually how things seem to turn out for me :roll:. So would you say your Wing handles or feels better with the ct and trailer out on the slab? Is it any more stable and/or easier to hold a line in side winds, gusts or being passed by fast moving semi's?

Oh I guess I should add that my trailer is rather large & wide and doesn't cut through the wind very well behind my Wing. Kinda like a shoe box in so much that the faster you try to pull it the more it wants to move around. I also load it for a decent but not excessive or too little tongue weight. I'm running good tires and have replaced the springs with new 4-leaf assemblies a couple seasons ago. I've been pulling it since like 1980 and it wasn't as an issue when the speed limits were 55/65. Now it seems everybody is running 75 and better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts