GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The response to our most recent troll was interesting and telling. Some people were contentious, some defensive, swearing they were not like other Wingers.

But all seemed to passively accept the negativity of the stereotype. That is given that a lot of Wing riders are old and or fat, then that is a bad thing.

I feel exactly the opposite.

I've been crazy to ride since i was 5. I always had to have the fastest bike made, no matter my finances. I used my sport bikes to tour. I thought a tourer was a Commando with a bed roll on the back.

I might never have owned a Wing if I had not been given one at 30 as a gift. I've met a lot of old Wingers. I've never met any that had anything to apologize for, or had to feel inferior to someone who was younger and thinner. Youth is just a gift. Being proud of it is like being proud of the nice clothes your mom got you. You didn't earn it by any special effort, and it will soon be gone.

Identical twin studies show that even people raised in completely different environments with step siblings of wildly different weights and different family eating habits, will almost always weigh within a few pounds of their identical twins. Being proud of your weight or your intelligence is like being proud of the size of your prison cell.

The one thing you can justly be proud of is how you live your life. How you treat your fellow man. Are you a force for good or evil in the world.

I've never been a joiner, and I don't get the vests, pins, patches, etc. But some people do. So what. Some people like beer. I prefer a good Cabernet.

Far from being disgusted with the older Wingers I have met, I have found that I view most of them with unalloyed respect. They know things. A lot of them rode when bikes and roads were not what they are now. A lot of them have had life experiences that make mine pale by comparison.

What I am most in awe of though, is the never say die attitude of some of the very Wingers that get the most disrespect. Some of these people ride until they're too crippled to hold the bike up anymore, then they get a smaller bike or trike out the Wing. They still may go to Wing Ding or other get togethers to meet their friends. Then when they're too crippled to walk any more, I've seen them put little scooters on their trikes. They just won't quit.

They wake up every morning, look death in the eye, and say "Get out ya damned fool, it ain't all used up yet". They keep the spark of life focused in a hot blue flame, instead of passively letting their candle burn down like the vast majority.

These people use every second of life that God gave them. They know how to live and how to love. I always enjoy meeting them, and usually end up learning from them. And the vast majority that I have met,

Make me proud to be a Winger.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Damn,

That was almost profound. Thanks for putting into words your life's wisdom about Wingers.

Let's go riding sometime.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Amen brother!

Winger, funny name though, I've always disliked "Biker"...much prefer motorcyclist, has a better ring to it?? Doesn't really matter though...

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Well, not sure how well I stack up to your concept of an old, fat, out-of-shape person who calls him or herself a Winger, but I guess I fit in there somewhere. Yes we who have turned into our seventh decade of life certainly do have experiences to relate - in fact, we can remember them better than what happened last week. As I read through your most excellent post, I began thinking about some of those experiences that I've had, and even though some of them weren't the most fun at the time, I wouldn't want to take a single one of them back. They all go into what makes you you.

Beside, the only claim I have to the title of Winger is that of a Silver Winger. I've done what I can and afford to make the scooter a touring bike that I can handle better than its bigger and more powerful brother. But that will have to do if I'm going to get out of bed in the morning, look death square in the eye and tell him to get on, I haven't lived all my life yet. Of course, none of us knows for sure just when that day, hour or moment might be. When one begins to get on in age, the thought gets a little closer, and I presume that as it approaches, I'll welcome its coming to release me from this world's cares for what I know waits for me in eternity.

Thanks for the post. That got me to rambling!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
768 Posts
The fact of the matter is I'd be overweight and enjoy an occasional ice cream whether I drove a Goldwing or not. Like many of you owning one was only a dream for most of my live. When the kids got older I thought if not now, when. That's when my wife said go and buy one. Hopefully I'll still be able to ride in the years to come and on occasion stop at the local custard stand for a single scoop of ice cream.

Mike
03ILB

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
You know what, we've earned that right....to have a motorcycle, eat ice cream, have a 2nd cup of coffee.....
wanna call me fat, go ahead, it's paid for....I came into this world fat and bald, I'm damm sure gonna go out that way.....

I only have one person to please as for my weight, hair and the way I dress, and if she doesn't mind, others damm sure don't....mind that is... :lol:

Enjoy life, if you can get up in the morning, look into the mirror and are OK with what you see, good on ya!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wingers, Bikers, whatever

I sit here and read all of this stuff that I'm new to, and am amazed at the different takes folks have on owning a wing. I just bought my first one. An '07' navi. I've had bikes of various types over the years but was never satisfied. I'd buy then sell always seeming to get what I thought I wanted. Wrong-- sell again. I also had always looked at "wingers" as old over the hill riders. Untill this October past I sunk a large part of my savings ( from selling 2 other bikes) into my last bike. To say that I'm happy with my last purchase is an understatement of epic proportions. I love this thing. The ride, the look and the prestige of owning this motorcycle is almost overwhelming. I Know I almost sound giddy. Well, I guess I am. This is my first post, as I have read many. I will read more as I try to figure out how to outfit my new shiny burnt orange ride. I look forward to rides and to someday meet some of you fine folks. Good day.......

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
LazyBoy, thoughtful and well stated. :yes1:

Professor 596. Welcome to a great board and I still grin most every time I ride whether on an IBA or back and forth to work or down to ACE. Ride that beauty for a while before starting to outfit it then watch out credit card, it is likely to get a workout. :lol:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Very nice prose Lazyboy! I have been riding Wings for over 22 years starting at age 25. I guess I was one who caught on early how much fun these machines really are. :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you Lazyboy for putting an excellent description of why, me too, am proud to ride a wing with the company I ride ride with.
Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Excellent post!! I unfortunately didn't get the courage to purchase my first motorcycle until I was 55 and fortunately it was a Wing. I've done nearly 100k miles in these past 6 years and bar none it's the best hobby I've ever had. Plus you meet the nicest people on a Gold Wing!!

W

·
0 Posts
Lazyboy.......Thanks for your thoughts on owning a Goldwing.

I read here a lot about the years and experience some of you had on Goldwings and other bikes.
Most of you been around cycles most of your life, and I really envy you.
By envy, I mean that I only got into riding at a very late age, and love riding so much, I sometimes wonder what I did in my earlier years without a bike.
I did alot of fishing in the past 40 years, own 6 boats, and changed interest to cycling, and purchase of my first Goldwing, and first purchase of any cycle at the age of 61.
In fact, some days I wake up and wonder if I'll live long enough to buy another Goldwing.
I presently own a '03, and have a hard time justify a purchase on a '07, with so little change.
I watch carefully when the new models are released, hoping for a big change and a reason to trade for what will most likely be my last.
So for now I'll enjoy my time I have left, enjoy my health to ride that the good Lord gave me, and the ability to stop for ice cream and check out the flavor of the day.

Here's to all Goldwing riders, Young, Old, Fat, Skinny, and mostly to our safety and health to ride another day.:capwin: :no: :beer3: :beer2: :capwin: :bow: :yes1: :coffee1: :eat1: :biker:

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Great post Lazyboy.

Professor, welcome to the world of Wings and this board. You'll meet a lot of folks on here that soon, you'll be calling friend.

Dep

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great post!

You know, being 36, and getting back into riding these past two years I have had the luxury to try out and own several bikes now. Started with the Vulcan 1500 Classic (wanted to do the cruiser thing), went to a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom (wanted to do the adventure-touring thing), and the only logical next step for me: The Wing! I could care less of any stereotype of what kind of motorcyclist rides the Goldwing - I think I have determined what kind of motorcyclists ride the Wing though:

Motorcyclists who want the best!

Cheers,
B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts