GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a wobble problem, but I know others have. As I ponder what causes it in some bikes, but not others, my mind jumps from one thing to another.
Some people say the answer is to inflate the front tire to 41-42psi to reduce cupping. Some say that merely changing the front tire made the problem go away. This makes me wonder if the root problem might be the fact that the OEM tires on a Goldwing are radials, which have a more flexible sidewall than a belted tire. Is it possible that some front rims are not true, so the flex of the sidewall manifests itself as wobble?
It's possible that a tire that is inflated to 41-42psi would also keep the sidewall from flexing as much as one inflated to 36psi.
Are radials OEM on any other bike, and do they report a wobble problem?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Silverback said:
Try doing a search. This subject has been beat to death many times over.

Besides... our resident tire experts have many many years of experience and are more qualified to answer your questons more so than any HONDA engineers, or engineers at Metzeler, Dunlop, Bridgestone, or Avon.

In fact, our expert tire engineers we have here on the board are highly respected in tire wobbles, running car tires on motorcycles, and also running bias ply tires on a bike designed for radial tires.

All you have to do is just ask them, they'll tell you how smart they are... :wink:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
My 2005 has a slight wobble at 40> MPH with no hands, none with both hands on.
My 2000 had a "Tank Slapping" wobble the instant I removed both hands at 40> MPH. Again none with both hands on.

I have riden about 40 years and many types of mototcycles including
Honda's, H-D's, Kawasaki, Susuki and BSA's and after years of study on the subject I have made the determination that you must
"KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE HANDLEBARS!"

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
jbales said:
My 2005 has a slight wobble at 40> MPH with no hands, none with both hands on.
+1 (just noticed it a week or so ago...surprised the he!! outta me)

·
Registered
703 Posts
azblackbird said:
Silverback said:

Besides... our resident tire experts have many many years of experience and are more qualified to answer your questons more so than any HONDA engineers, or engineers at Metzeler, Dunlop, Bridgestone, or Avon.

In fact, our expert tire engineers we have here on the board are highly respected in tire wobbles, running car tires on motorcycles, and also running bias ply tires on a bike designed for radial tires.

All you have to do is just ask them, they'll tell you how smart they
are... :wink:
I have found it's ok to make constructive comments. Distructive comments sort of tells of ones character.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 3 wings have had the wobble, some more than others, my 84 V45 Sabre had the wobble, only thing in common was all hondas, all had dunlop tires and of course, all ridden by me.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Patriot said:
I have found it's ok to make constructive comments. Distructive comments sort of tells of ones character.
Sorry Mr. Goody 2 Shoes... it won't happen again :roll:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Did azblackbird get up on the wrong side of the bed? I guess azbackbird is not here to make friends.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Patriot said:
Did azblackbird get up on the wrong side of the bed? I guess azbackbird is not here to make friends.
Apparently I hit a nerve with Mr. Patriot... care to explain how I offended you? :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
azblackbird said:
Patriot said:
Apparently I hit a nerve with Mr. Patriot... care to explain how I offended you? :roll:
Maybe he is a member of the ACLU :lol:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,760 Posts
It's the suspension!! This bike doesn't have to have a decel wobble.

If you really want to rid your bike of the decel wobble you can either
#1 keep your hands on the handlebars at all times or

#2 you can upgrade the suspension of this bike and not only enjoy all the handling and improved ride benefits that a better suspension offers, but also from time to time, just for kicks, you can remove your hands from the handlebars while deceling and the bike will feel stable, like it's riding on a rail.

I went with #2, I hated the decel wobble.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
azblackbird said:
Silverback said:

All you have to do is just ask them, they'll tell you how smart they are... :wink:
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

G

·
0 Posts
For as much money as these bikes cost, there should not be a hint of a wobble. :evil:

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Silverback,
You are right on all counts, and while you are at it you can add dozens of other things to the list that can cause wobble. Mine wobbled when the back Dunlop started cupping. It was so bad, it wobbled even while holding onto the bars. I changed the back tire and voila, wobble gone, for now at least.

As Roadie pointed out, even a suspension that is not tracking correctly can contribute to the wobble.

Whether it is poor component design, sloppy tolerances, or poor maintanence, any of those things can cause a bike to do what is inherent already, which is to wobble. This is why Honda does not want to tackle the problem. It would be impossible to come up with any one fix that would solve everyones issue, because they are all different.

In answer to your two other questions, yes, a lot of other bikes have radials, and yes, a lot of other bikes wobble with varying degrees. But the problem existed long before radials.

My theory, which is worth no more than anyone else's, is that the combination of a sport bike profile and the hefty weight, the very rigid frame which cannot flex and absorb oscillations, coupled with a suspension that is not the equal of the rest of the bike all combine to cause the GL1800 to be more unstable and suffer from more wobble problems than many other bikes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have run different tires, and pressures and I still have the wobble. Someday may get the suspension update, but for now I don't notice it with both hands on, so I can live with it for now.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
azblackbird said:
Silverback said:

I have the wobble running a car tire. My steering stem bearings are really loose. I can hit the breaks hard going forward then after I stop and roll the bike backwards I can hear a crack/pop noise coming from them. One of these days I am going to install the All Balls kit and new triple tree that has been in my living room for about a year.

Also, anything that azblackbird says should be discounted and taken with a grain of salt. It appears, to me, he is just here to stir the pot and upset people.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
For as much money as these bikes cost, there should not be a hint of a wobble. :evil:
Really? Try getting a BMW K1200LT then. They cost about the same as a Wing. Oh! Wait! They wobble too!

I did a quick Google on "K1200LT wobble" and came up with a lot of hits. I just grabbed the first one, which is one of their message boards. Just insert GL1800 in place of K1200 and you will be reading a mirror of every wobble thread that has been posted on this board.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359

So much for the cost of the bike being a good reason to expect the bike not to wobble. :roll:

Does the wobble make me angry? Heck no! Does it even get me upset? Not one bit! Is it dissapointing? Bingo! To let it get to you any more than that borders on obsession.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts