GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I'm new to the board and forum, and have a few questions about the gl1800. I'm thinking about getting a 2007 ABS bike after the first of the year.

1) Does the left fairing pocket automatically come with the MP3
connector? Do you need any kind of adapter or is it a stock set up?

2) I'm thinking of adding a Utopia backrest w/removal pin, a pair of fog
lights, and a tubular trunk rack. What suppliers do you recommend
for the fog lights and trunk rack?

3) Do any of you make use of a reverse "beeper" when you have the
1800 in reverse?

4) What other suggestions do any of you have for increasing your own
visibility to other folks on the road?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Metric4me said:
Hi All:

I'm new to the board and forum, and have a few questions about the gl1800. I'm thinking about getting a 2007 ABS bike after the first of the year.

1800 in reverse?

1) Yes, there is a standard 3.5mm stereo phono plug under the left fairing pocket that will connect to an MP-3 player, Walkman CD player, XM radio, etc.

2) Utopia makes a very nice backrest but other prefer Kuryakyn. I went with a Utopia via WingStuff:
http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...group_list/gl1800/230_goldwing_Backrests/des/
It is a little too flexable for my tastes but it works okay. I have had the snaps that hold the little pouch start to rust, but otherwise it is an acceptable solution. I would stay away from those that have external mounts if you ride with a passenger. I had one and my wife really did not like the way it kept rubbing her legs and was a constant irritation. Not a good condition for a wife to be in.

Fog/driving lights opinions span the whole gammit. I would recommend that you use the search function on this site and research all the other responses before starting a new one here. I do not really like the ones I installed so I won't even try to suggest one to you.

Likewise, I bought a tubular trunk from JC Whitney, and I an not very pleased with the result. Yes, it was cheap, but boy, WAS IT EVER CHEAP! The chrome is already starting to show rust spots. I guess you get what you pay for...and I did! I think the general opinion is the Kuryakyn makes the best chromed pieces for the GL-1800 around, but recently I have seen posts of dissatisfaction with recent pieces made by them. Word to the wise - inspect them carefully before installation so you can return them if they are not up to your standards.

3) I do not use a reverse beeper and see no reason I would pay money to have one. If you cannot turn your head and see what is behind you, I might question if you have the physical dexterity to safely ride a bike, but that is just my opinion.

4) I an NOT an advocate of headlight modulators or running with your high beam on during daylight hours. I think that pisses people off and incites road rage more than it will help you out. I DO use the brake light modulator/flasher by Back Off
http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...ist/gl1800/285_goldwing_Brake_Modulators/des/
If that doesn't get their attention when you apply brakes, they are probably dead drunk or unconsious! :roll:
This one has some programming options so you can select the mode that you like best.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Metric4me said:
Hi All:

Standard.

Utopia works very well; but ride without it at first. If your butt disagrees with the standard seat, then why pay more fo rback rest you will end up replacing anyway? Go with EC Platimum series from The Electrical Connectoin. Lewis is very helpful.

1800 in reverse?

Certainly not me -- why?

Convince yourself that you are toatlly invisable and that its 100% up to you to no get run over.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I understand it, the audible reverse beeper would function like those on delivery trucks. It isn't designed for my enhancement for backing the Wing up, but is designed to alert others that something nearby is moving. After all, when you hear one of those annoying things, don't you look? I know I do! Hey, in my mind if it possibly adds to people's awareness that a large object is close at hand, I'm at least gonna find out all I can about it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
1) Does the left fairing pocket...
Like the others have said, yes, Honda includes a short cord with 3.5mm connector attached.

2) What suppliers do you recommend for the fog lights and trunk rack?
Lights - go with Electrical Connection; trunk rack - I would suggest skipping this one.

3) Do any of you make use of a reverse "beeper"
No.

4) What other suggestions do any of you have for increasing your own visibility to other folks on the road?
Assuming you aren't wearing dark, non-reflective clothing, riding with all lights off, and painting the bike flat black, the idea that adding chrome, bright colors, or flashing lights to increase visibility is not as valid as it once was. There are just too many reports of drivers "not seeing" trains, tractor-trailers, and emergency vehicles (big bright ones with sirens and flashing lights) to give much credence to the notion that these things will keep you safe and happy.

I know, the Safety Police will get me for that last comment...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

it is not installed but comes with the bike. easy install.

With the utopia you also have the option of a quick out that slips out and hardware is left below the seat level.

No rack!

1800 in reverse?

Hmmmmmm, that is an interesting question. I really do not think this made it to my need it or die list.

Spoiler helps in the rear. driving lights. bright clothing and helmet, orange triangle on antenna (just kidding)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Here is my 2 cents:

1) Connector comes with the bike. You have to install it, but it's a piece of cake. The hardest thing is making sure the pins that hold the pocket in don't leap out and fall into the black hole that is the interior of the wing shelter.

2) I don't have a back rest, but if I did it would be a Utopia. For lights, I like Electrical Connection. I wont put a rack on my Wing.

3)I don't really see a need for a reverse warning beeper. The bike is crawling along, and I can just yell, "move your butt, I'm backing up". :wink:

4) As for being seen better, I think adding the rear spoiler with the brake light is a good beginning. There are plenty of after market lights you can get if you like to be lit up. Light colored clothing or jackets that have some type of retro-reflective material for riding in the evening is good.

Again, just my opinion.
Dep

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I'm with Dep on this one. My views exactly.

I might add that i use the EC LED amber lights as "fog" lights. they are not terribly brite, but enough to be seen easily. they were not very expensive and are relatively low watt. I think they are ideal for "beign seen". Spoiler with running light and "tailblazer" hooked to brake light.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I will have to disagree with steve on the spoiler as a running light. When I hit the brakes I do not want a brighter light I want a new light that will grab the attention of the guy behind. Same principal of the third brake light on a cage. Something different is always better. Go along with the backoff on the spoiler brake.

·
Registered
756 Posts
1. Electrical Connection for the driving/fog lights. I put C Bailey amber covers on mine, hoping people will"see me" better

2. Utopia Backrest..........I have one and its the best for me.

3. Reverse beeper.......I can't imagine why anyone would want one.

4. Trunk Rack.......Don't get me started :cus: .........just say no to trunk rack

5. You will want some kind of highway pegs. Lots of choices on those. I sugest you do a search on this message board for them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks All! I really appreciate the great opinions from people in the know. What's the bad rap on trunk racks? If a person doesn't overload it, and spreads out the load with star washers is the only remaining complaint about the "looks" of the thing?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Dive Master said:
I will have to disagree with steve on the spoiler as a running light. When I hit the brakes I do not want a brighter light I want a new light that will grab the attention of the guy behind. Same principal of the third brake light on a cage. Something different is always better. Go along with the backoff on the spoiler brake.
I guess that is a good argument. I never thought that much about it really.
I'm thinknig that if the big, wide, light up top starts blinking and all the red lights come on brighter, that hopefully they'll get the idea? :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the mirrors with built in turn signals and think that as long as you remember to use them they do help let people know your switching lanes or turning and anything that catches cages attention is a good thing..flare gun ...bazooka :shock: :D

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
What's the bad rap on trunk racks?
My take is they are ugly #1, and a PITA toclean around and maintain their shine. If I wanted extra space I'd gofor the "Pak-It-Rak" which I will do at some point. It is a loto more expensive, but holds more and can be removed.......in case you think it's ugly!!! :wink: with no trace of it ever being there....for themost part.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
plug is there

NO RACK!!! Had two, will not have one again, PIA to clean around and not much use anyway.

I like the yellow fog lights, the wing has enough lights to see with, I wanted something to "BE SEEN" EC or Tulsa are the best in my opinion.

Spoiler is a must for rear break light. I like the idea that nothing shows until I hit the brakes....maybe a flash for the rear spoiler, one that flashes five time and goes steady on....

I like the Krome Werks back rest over the utopia for looks, plus I can take the backrest off and you'll never know it's been there, I don't like the way the utopia makes the seat pucker...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Metric4me said:
Thanks All! I really appreciate the great opinions from people in the know. What's the bad rap on trunk racks? If a person doesn't overload it, and spreads out the load with star washers is the only remaining complaint about the "looks" of the thing?
On my 1989 GL-1500 I had a rack installed with the large "star" fender washers and rubber isolators, but it still ended up cracking around the holes in the truck that mounted the rack. I did not really load the thing up but my wife would grab the rack and try to yank the trunk open without the trunk being fully unlatched. Geerrrrrrr! :x

There is also a problem with the GL-1800 being a two part trunk lid with a void between them. Cinching down on the rack attachment screws/bolts will put a strain between the two surfaces and most feel cracking is innevitable. The trunk lid on the GL-1800 has another problem with the seal getting squashed and letting the lid and trunk rub together and create alot of wear on the mating plastic. Adding weight to the trunk lid will only make this problem worse. Because of these two issues, many GL-1800 owners are very ademate about never adding a rack to the trunk of their Wing. Don't even try to convince them otherwise.

All that said, I did mount a rack on the trunk of my '05 GL-1800. I only put stuff up there as a last resort and keep the loads light. I usually only put a jacket, pair of bibs, or some other piece of clothing up there. I may end up regretting it but I accept the accelerated plastic rubbing problem or the higher likelyhood of stress fractures where the rack mounting screws/bolts go through the lid. I have jumped on the wife enough times for yanking on the rack that she seldom does it any more. Seems like threats involving a ball peen hammer and her knuckles have worked. :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Trunk Rack

If you really want a rack, this might be the cure:

http://www.dixonymachine.com/RBBB.htm

:idea: :?:

Maybe someone has tried this and can confirm whether it works or not.

Also, a belly pan seems like good insurance against road debris damage to the oil filter and cooling tank...

Cheers,
Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts