GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting my new Sunny SN3830 mounted a few days ago I decided to go for a little (250 miles) ride yesterday up to Stanley Idaho. Great ride but I noticed that my new back tire was a tad squirmy in the corners. I thought I just have to get used to a CT and enjoyed the excellent day.

This morning when it was cool I checked the pressure and it was 38 lbs. A bit lower than I asked the guy that mounted it to make it. Anyway, I bumped it to 41.5 lbs on my digital tire gauge and went for another ride. Gee gosh allmighty but what a difference it made! All the squirm was gone and it tracked around corners just like the MT that was on it before. Now that's how I hoped it would be- smooth an steady as she goes.

I wouldn't have thought that 3.5 lbs would have made much of a difference but it did. Looks like I will be a Darksider for a while! :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
That is really good you feel the difference. It may save your hide some day. On my Kumho RFs I can normally detect 2 psi difference (off of the 32 psi I run). However, on the Ecopia I am trying out now, I cannot detect a 2 psi difference.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Glad you found the sweet spot! Enjoy the ride.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
That is really good you feel the difference. It may save your hide some day. On my Kumho RFs I can normally detect 2 psi difference (off of the 32 psi I run). However, on the Ecopia I am trying out now, I cannot detect a 2 psi difference.
Maybe you need calibration Richard. :lol: or Exlax ;):wrong:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rusty, I started with 41 and couldn't tell a difference on my first ride.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rusty, I started with 41 and couldn't tell a difference on my first ride.
Hey Darrell

You lost me, I'm afraid. You could not tell the difference from what? I don't know what you are comparing it to. Could not tell the difference from a MT or a previous CT or what?

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm sorry. I couldn't tell the difference from the mt that I took off, in the respect of turning. Now the ride itself is a lot smoother.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Yup, that's where she likes to roll! 41psi general riding, 44psi in the tight twisties for me!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'd be interested to know what your Wear Pattern is, at the new pressure... eg Is the tire sitting "flat" across the full width, or is there a "high spot" in the center like what you'd have on a cycle tire?

The reason I ask, is I'm of the (unfounded) belief that a higher pressure would make a CT more stable... eg Having a Single High Spot (in the center) is more stable than having Two High Spots... the later occuring if you have too low pressure.

I use 41psi in my ROF, and perhaps it's dumb luck, but have not had any of the "wandering" issues I keep seeing reported at the lower pressures others are using.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Alexb, if you look at the picture at my signature, the tire there is 41 psi.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
After getting my new Sunny SN3830 mounted a few days ago I decided to go for a little (250 miles) ride yesterday up to Stanley Idaho. Great ride but I noticed that my new back tire was a tad squirmy in the corners. I thought I just have to get used to a CT and enjoyed the excellent day.

This morning when it was cool I checked the pressure and it was 38 lbs. A bit lower than I asked the guy that mounted it to make it. Anyway, I bumped it to 41.5 lbs on my digital tire gauge and went for another ride. Gee gosh allmighty but what a difference it made! All the squirm was gone and it tracked around corners just like the MT that was on it before. Now that's how I hoped it would be- smooth an steady as she goes.

I wouldn't have thought that 3.5 lbs would have made much of a difference but it did. Looks like I will be a Darksider for a while! :thumbup:
You trust someone else to put the correct psi in your
tire without checking it before you ride :roll: :roll:

On a motorcycle a motorcycle no less :eek:4:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts