GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend while riding on the new tire I had a few issues come up that I wanted to ask about.

I may be over analyzing the ride and feel of the tire a bit because this is new for me but I think it is worth asking so I am more aware of what to expect.

I am running a conti all season currently at 34psi

1st issue
Pulling out of a street making a left, for a second it felt like the tire side wall had gave out. Once I was up right heading down the street it went away and I did not feel this again during the day. Is it possible there was side movement or movement of the tread area during the turn that could have caused this feedback.

2nd issue
On and older highway (one I ride often) the slow lane is severely rutted with a higher center area in the lane. When I went from the left side of the lane to the right side of the lane over the center hump it reminded me of the feeling when water skiing crossing over the wake. With the MT it was always a very easy transition up and over the hump in the lane. With the car tire it felt like a drop off of the crest into the rut as the reference to the water skiing hopefully implied.
Again is this a normal feeling/experience from those of you that have thousands of miles on them.

3rd issue
In a parking lot accelerating slightly it felt like the wheel spun inside the tire then the tire grabbed.
I did recently read about movement of a car tire on the wheel so I am going to mark mine and see if this is actually happening.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Dale

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Air pressure affects how the bike handles. Experiment with different pressures.

The nature of CTs is to seek the higher pavement. After a while you get used to it. Try the pressure thing.

Check you dot on the sidewall in relation to the valve and see if it's moved. If you're careful with the tire mounting solution when it's mounted, it shouldn't be a problem. Issues with using soap have been discussed.

The 175 like I'm running really handles like a bike tire.

·
Registered
883 Posts
1st issue
Pulling out of a street making a left, for a second it felt like the tire side wall had gave out. Once I was up right heading down the street it went away and I did not feel this again during the day. Is it possible there was side movement or movement of the tread area during the turn that could have caused this feedback.
Were you accelerating hard? I ask only because when I ran a Conti, under hard acceleration I would feel a "twitch". Under the same circumstances I don't feel it with the CT I'm running now.

2nd issue
On and older highway (one I ride often) the slow lane is severely rutted with a higher center area in the lane. When I went from the left side of the lane to the right side of the lane over the center hump it reminded me of the feeling when water skiing crossing over the wake. With the MT it was always a very easy transition up and over the hump in the lane. With the car tire it felt like a drop off of the crest into the rut as the reference to the water skiing hopefully implied. Again is this a normal feeling/experience from those of you that have thousands of miles on them.
Yes, it's normal, it's one of those getting used to things.

3rd issue
In a parking lot accelerating slightly it felt like the wheel spun inside the tire then the tire grabbed.
I did recently read about movement of a car tire on the wheel so I am going to mark mine and see if this is actually happening.
No, I have never felt that. I routinly perform PLM's, run hard in the twisties. I've suppose it's possible if the lube used during mounting was super slippery or silicone based it might happen. My experience is even before the beads are set, it is very difficult to move the tire on the rim.

FWIW, I run 28-29 PSI

Is it possible the beads were not set? If they weren't, it may be the reason you felt # 1 & # 3?? I have had beads not set when inflating the tire with the valve core in the stem. Take out the core & start over, then they pop into place.

Sleddog

·
Registered
112 Posts
Some of those things seem to be a quirk of the run flats which is why I chose not to use one. The feeling you get when crossing the hump in the lane that we have a lot of around here I also got from the Bridgestone rear tire before I went to a car tire. I get none of those feedbacks from the conventional tire I run, it does everything better than the MT. I did ride one briefly with a runflat and didn't care for it as I expected, rides too rough and has a strange feel in corners. Sorry Mike, it ain't your fault bud.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible the beads were not set? If they weren't, it may be the reason you felt # 1 & # 3?? I have had beads not set when inflating the tire with the valve core in the stem. Take out the core & start over, then they pop into place.
Sleddog
The bead was set at the tire shop I let the air out to put the dynabeads in and then put the valve stem back in and added air. Would the bead break that easily?

I will continue to use it and get use to it.
Thanks,

·
Registered
883 Posts
The bead was set at the tire shop I let the air out to put the dynabeads in and then put the valve stem back in and added air. Would the bead break that easily?
No, it won't break that easy. It was just a thought. Trying to think of a reason you felt what you did.

Sleddog

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
1st issue
Highly doubtfull the sidewall gave out, however, you could have run over a rock about the size of a golf ball and gotten that same sensation. It has happened to me. Some times you just don't see all the crap lying on the road..... just sayin....

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
#2, is normal for me! I can deal with if I can get 20,000 + miles out of it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I just call it tail kick, the wider the tire the more of it you have. The tires will follow the crown of the road, move to the low side of any depression, act like a squirrel on very rough areas such as at railroad tracks where the road is all torn up............but only at slow speed, once over about 15 mph it does not develop. (well sometimes in extreme conditions)

Normal, I just call it tail kick.

The new Dunnie has none of this, or I do not think it does, but I have mostly forgotten what a round tire feels like.

Kit

S

·
0 Posts
3rd issue
Absolutely no way - if the rim would spin at all the tire instantly goes flat as a pancake. I am guessing perhaps some clutch slip due to nervousness or something but once these things seat 5psi is enough to lock them solid.
Just changing to a different tire will cause the imagination to assume things, just ride it a while and things just become normal. I too agree the non-runflats seem to be less prone to the road irregularities so I choose to go with just plain old Regular Real Radials.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I really agree on the possible tire bead just seating in the first turn. Possible a little portion was not totally in the groove. Had this happen on MT before with first turn on new tire. Now I make it a point with new tires to drive around the block both directions before going out on the roadways.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dale,
Having lived in Rhode Island for 38 years, I can understand the sad conditions of New England roads. Larry suggested perhaps running over a large "pebble' and that is prolly the reason for the feeling of the side wall giving out or maybe some excess salt on the road. You have made a good choice of tires (IMHO) and in a matter of miles you will feel at home on the range with the new tire. However, as Hunzee stated, the tire will want to find high ground and once you get used to that, it will become second nature. Yes there are some trade-off with running a car tire on a bike, but you will in time, find that you will rather "fight than switch"!!!!!! Enjoy the ride and pretty soon you'll be looking for a new rear tire to put on the point!!!!! Semper-fi:flg:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dale,
Having lived in Rhode Island for 38 years, I can understand the sad conditions of New England roads. Larry suggested perhaps running over a large "pebble' and that is prolly the reason for the feeling of the side wall giving out or maybe some excess salt on the road. You have made a good choice of tires (IMHO) and in a matter of miles you will feel at home on the range with the new tire. However, as Hunzee stated, the tire will want to find high ground and once you get used to that, it will become second nature. Yes there are some trade-off with running a car tire on a bike, but you will in time, find that you will rather "fight than switch"!!!!!! Enjoy the ride and pretty soon you'll be looking for a new rear tire to put on the point!!!!! Semper-fi:flg:
The rock seems logical I have not felt that since then so it must have been something in the road.
Thanks for all of the input from everyone.
Semper-fi:flg:back at ya
Dale

·
Registered
746 Posts
Some of those things seem to be a quirk of the run flats which is why I chose not to use one. The feeling you get when crossing the hump in the lane that we have a lot of around here I also got from the Bridgestone rear tire before I went to a car tire. I get none of those feedbacks from the conventional tire I run, it does everything better than the MT. I did ride one briefly with a runflat and didn't care for it as I expected, rides too rough and has a strange feel in corners. Sorry Mike, it ain't your fault bud.
:wrong:
My Boss does that too!
No matter what the facts are, what he expects to hear is what he hears!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts