GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was unable to find this answer, please indulge my ignorance.

I'm seriously looking at the Garmin 2730 as my new gps. I have a few questions which are not answered in the canned features of the various websites.

Does the 2730 use a removable memory card like SD or Compactflash to hold the mp3's? If not, what is the capacity of the mp3 memory?

Are map and poi updates routinely available from Garmin? Are they free or reasonably priced? Do you find the maps adequate for paved roads cross country?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
luckyman said:
...Does the 2730 use a removable memory card like SD or Compactflash to hold the mp3's? If not, what is the capacity of the mp3 memory?
No, the unit uses 'internal solid state memory' to store the maps, music and other files such as additional maps, voices and custom POIs.

Typically, there is less than 800MB of free space available for your use, before loading any additional files. If you're serious about music, this probably shouldn't be considered a serious MP3 player option. The soon-to-be-released Garmin Zumo does utilize an SD memory card for storing music, routes and track files.

Are map and poi updates routinely available from Garmin? Are they free or reasonably priced? Do you find the maps adequate for paved roads cross country?
New maps and typically released close to annually - the cost is $75. No map or POI data is going to be 100% perfect, but they're usually very accurate and mostly complete.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Jon.

No, I'm not big into music. In fact, I have nearly all of my music presently on a 512 mb mp3 player. I just wanted to know if I would have to buy something else to be able to use the mp3 feature.

I especially like the FM modulator function of the 2730. I don't think the Zumo will have that, unless it has been left off of the literature.

What I find especially attractive about the 2600, 2700, 2800 series is the quick access buttons on the right hand side. With them, you can jump back and forth between functions without using the touch screen "back" button two or three times.

I played with a 2720 a little and really liked it's user friendly interface. I would probably be perfectly happy with it.............except for about $75 more I can get the 2730 which has many more features which make it more attractive for resale.

Thanks again for your helpful response to my inquiry. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I too am interested in the 2730 as well as others I went to Garmin.com and downloaded the operators manual of all the ones that I was interested in and read all the features and how to use them. just a thought.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The 2720 & 2730 are very similar units except for the audio features included with the 2730. The 2720 has the capability for displaying realtime traffic information via an FM receiver (extra cost) while the 2730 includes XM traffic (requires activation of the XM service but the XM receiver/antenna is included in the price)

The 2730 is running about $127 more than the 2720 right now, so if you can find one with the antenna for only $75 more, you should buy it!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am enjoying my Garmin 2730. Just got V8 upgrade as well as the 6.2 (I believe or whatever the latest upgrade is) and it works FANTASTIC!!! I just love the 3D Track Up Feature and you can also touch the screen and ZOOM it out. There are so many features I am still learning. You can also customize it so you can hit one button on the side and switch to the Audio screen where you can change XM stations or turn the volume down and then hit Back to return to where you were while getting Speed Data and Next Turn data so there are alot of customizing options that you have to play around with to get it just the way you want. Very accurate street info especially surprising is small towns where I didn't expect to get alot of that detail.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Question Re: Garmin 2730

THIS DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT TO ME. I CALLED XM TO SET-UP MY SUBSCRIPTION AND THEY SET ME UP, SENT ME A SIGNAL TWICE, SAID IT WAS GOING TO TAKE AN HOUR TO ACTIVATE, STILL NO ACTIVATION.
TO ME, THIS IS REALLY A HASTLE. I LIKED IT UP TILL NOW. I PLACED IT ON CHANNEL 1 LIKE THEY SAID BUT NO MUSIC. LIKE I SAID EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE. SWEET UNIT. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE? THANKS JOHN

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you sure that you are in plain sight of the satellites??? Have you tried switching to Channel 46 which is Classic Rock??? I would then call them again. I had a similar problem and they had to send some software down to it. The software apparently was corruped so if that is the case you need to have them transfer you to their technical department.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts