GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A funny thing happened on my oil change. As usual, I let it drain (on the side stand) long enough for me to consume a six pack or so (three hours at least, I say in modesty). I also replaced the filter with the long Mobil filter (M-110). When filling up with a gallon jug of Rotella T I held back some to make sure I do not overfill. Lo and behold, I kept adding and adding, finally dumped the whole gallon jug and still, the dip stick aint wet except for the tip and ONLY when I screw it in. All that of course after I put it back on the center stand, running the engine and checking - no leaks. Now...my mind is wondering - either the longer filter took more oil AND the Rotella T jug was short of being a full gallon, or what................other explanation is there? Hmmmm....a six pack does not make me woozey at all. So...I asked the missus to pick me up another quart at Wally's place and now all is fine.

On another note - Checked the tp, was short 4 lbs in front and 4 in the rear. Last two rides felt funky so....I inflated to specs + 2 (43 R and 38 F) and boy, does this bike ride again great. And now I think I feel the benefit of the Axxion brace installed two weeks ago.

·
Registered
566 Posts
A funny thing happened on my oil change. As usual, I let it drain (on the side stand) long enough for me to consume a six pack or so (three hours at least, I say in modesty). I also replaced the filter with the long Mobil filter (M-110). When filling up with a gallon jug of Rotella T I held back some to make sure I do not overfill. Lo and behold, I kept adding and adding, finally dumped the whole gallon jug and still, the dip stick aint wet except for the tip and ONLY when I screw it in. All that of course after I put it back on the center stand, running the engine and checking - no leaks. Now...my mind is wondering - either the longer filter took more oil AND the Rotella T jug was short of being a full gallon, or what................other explanation is there? Hmmmm....a six pack does not make me woozey at all. So...I asked the missus to pick me up another quart at Wally's place and now all is fine.

On another note - Checked the tp, was short 4 lbs in front and 4 in the rear. Last two rides felt funky so....I inflated to specs + 2 (43 R and 38 F) and boy, does this bike ride again great. And now I think I feel the benefit of the Axxion brace installed two weeks ago.
The oil should be changed and checkd with the bike on the center stand. I'm pretty sure that if you check it while on the center stand, you'll find it is over-filled.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this info, and the fact you feel it was important to include it in your post is quite interesting - on several levels.

Name two levels. Bet you can't. Make one wonder if preaching of the Women's Temprance Movement, the Anti Saloon League, a friend and neighbohr of Carrie Nation or all of the above caused you to comment on the evils of drinking but not addressing the original question.

Well...here is some news fer you - prohibition is over, except in some dry counties in NC and a few other backwards places.

As for the oil level.....before I added the extra oil, I checked it again. I guess with 10W-40 it takes it a while to gurgle its way back down to the crankcase when Orlando Florida temps plunge to the low 50th....brrrrrr..

So...thanks for the sermon and preaching....kind of shows your lack of sense of humor, but....thats ok too.

But...in deference to your views here are a few slogans -

Tis here we pledge perpetual hate, to all that can intoxicate.

We serve the tyrant Alcohol no longer

Prevention is better than cure

To the cause of temperance, ten dollars, to king alcohol, not one cent!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I still think you should check/change your oil with the bike on the centerstand, not the sidestand. With your bike tilted to the left, the dipstick is on the high side...

BTW, an oilchange for me is usually only a three beer job!:capwin:

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Yo! Jeff! Lighten up! Have a beer, sounds like you need one. Ride (but not after a beer) more to get in a better mood.

One can add to this information that the GL1800 dipstick is not always accurate. Best bet. Make sure you add 4 quarts when changing. See where YOUR particular GL1800 shows on the stick. Then, move on.

Do like I did, I wrote on the engine case "DO NOT SCREW IN" with a Sharpie.... helps with the dim memory cells that are accumulating in my head lately.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The oil should be changed and checkd with the bike on the center stand. I'm pretty sure that if you check it while on the center stand, you'll find it is over-filled.
If you read carefuly - oil was drained on the kickstand (and it makes sense as the drain is on the left side of the crankcase) and checked level on the center stand (as read in the manual).

The answer, I found out, was to wait long enough, the oil drains back down. No overfill, since I did not put the extra quart. However, it did take the full content of the gallon jug. Per manual 3.9 US quart, add the extra capacity of the M1-110 filter and the coat of oil left in the jug and voila. Mystery solved.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Waldo, before you sell that bike, make sure you remove your "do not screw in" sign.

I'll never forget the mess I had with my first GL1000. I fired it up with the dipstick removed:22yikes:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Name two levels. Bet you can't. Make one wonder if preaching of the Women's Temprance Movement, the Anti Saloon League, a friend and neighbohr of Carrie Nation or all of the above caused you to comment on the evils of drinking but not addressing the original question.

Well...here is some news fer you - prohibition is over, except in some dry counties in NC and a few other backwards places.

So...thanks for the sermon and preaching....kind of shows your lack of sense of humor, but....thats ok too....
This over the top tirade makes it even more intriguing. Maybe anger management would be of some help as well. You managed to leap to all sorts of irrational conclusions, good for you. Have another 6 pack.

Defending your right to drink with every case of suds you swill - typical behavior.

I have to admit, no buzz from a full 6 pack - you MUST truly be a "man's man".

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yo Fred - Please read original post!! Suds? Who said anything about suds? It was a six pack of diet coke (no caffein either!!!). Jumping to conclusions. Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions.

Right away ...Six Pack = beer ....NOT.

I am a proud member of AAA. Been a card carrier since 1967.

·
Registered
571 Posts
" So...I asked the missus to pick me up another quart at Wally's place and now all is fine. "

So ya drank one more quart of beer and all was fine?
:popcorn:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Why would anyone bother to check the oil level? Put 4 quarts in it and forget it.

I've owned several wings and numerous other hondas. None has ever used oil.

You waste more oil wiping it off the dipstick.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yo Fred - Please read original post!! Suds? Who said anything about suds? It was a six pack of diet coke (no caffein either!!!). Jumping to conclusions. Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions.

Right away ...Six Pack = beer ....NOT.

I am a proud member of AAA. Been a card carrier since 1967.
I guess it was the "Hmmmm....a six pack does not make me woozey at all" that lead to the conclusion that it was alcohol based refreshment. I've never heard of anyone make that statement regarding Diet Coke.

BTW, what does American Automobile Association have to do with any part of this discussion? (have another 6 pack)

·
Registered
748 Posts
oil stick

Mine is kind of funny...when checking the oil if I turn the dipstick ccw, it will read fine, but if I just stick it in the hole like the book says, I show almost no oil.

Go figue.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I always change the filter and
mine takes the whole gallon everytime...
book says 3.9 qts

But I still put about 3.5 qts in...run it & check
.1 qts=1.6oz....

Jeff, how many oz's in a shot?

:coffee1:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Agree with changing oil/filter on the center stand but haven't bothered to check the oil when done for decades. After draining everything and then putting in 4 quarts, the probability is quite high that the oil level is just right if nothing is leaking. I always run the bike to watch for leaks right after changing - an old habit I picked up from my father.

·
Registered
19,950 Posts
This has definitely been one of the oddest threads I have read in a long time. I guess I should have had a 6 pack first.;)

3 hours for an oil change? How long did it take to put the air in the tires?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts